7.20.2009

TSH

So . . . I saw my Endocrinologist, Dr. M, today. We discussed the results from last Friday's blood test. Before I get into that, here's a little primer for new readers (and perhaps 'old' readers?) on my life since losing my baby (E) to stillbirth in November. I'll even throw in a little (amateur) health lesson as a bonus because some people have asked what the heck is TSH? :)

Background
In March (four months after E died), I was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer. I discovered a lump here. Then, I had an ultrasound on my neck. Then I got my blood test results. Then the diagnosis. Shortly after that, I had surgery to remove the cancer and my thyroid (you can read the specifics if you look under 'March' in my archives tab).

(Amateur) Health Lesson
The thyroid gland is very small, yet it serves an important purpose: it controls your metabolism which in turn impacts your energy level. Because I no longer have a thyroid, I take Synthroid (a synthetic hormone meant to make up for my lack of thyroid). One of the main issues for me now is whether or not my TSH is within normal range (.3-5.0). My simple explanation for TSH goes something like this -- when the thyroid functions properly, the pituitary gland produces TSH between .3-5.0 and all is right as rain. But when the thyroid under produces its hormones (or the Synthroid dosage isn't high enough), the pituitary gland kicks it into gear and produces increased levels of TSH to stimulate the thyroid to get to work.

So when somebody is 'hypothyroid', that means the thyroid function (or the Synthroid dosage) is too low. One of the ways to determine this is testing for TSH. If TSH is high, that means the thyroid function (or Synthroid dosage) is too low.

After surgery, I started out on a Synthroid dosage of 125. My first blood test following surgery was in May. My TSH was at 26 (Reminder: normal range is .3-5.0). So Synthroid was increased to 150.

Today
I expected my TSH to still be elevated because I've felt extremely exhausted, depressed, irritable, unable to focus, etc., etc. I hoped for some improvement from last time, but I expected my dosage would be bumped up just a bit and I'd feel better very soon.

Well, I was right about one thing. My TSH is still high. But good golly the number is crazy: 78.6! I nearly fell out of my chair when I heard that. Dr. M started with asking me how I felt, "How's your energy? How's your mood?"I finally asked what the results revealed and he just said, "They're not good."

Dr. M increased my Synthroid dosage to 200. Hopefully, this much higher number will take effect very soon so I can get on with my life. Surely, I'll write more about the issues this crazy TSH creates another day. As usual, I just don't have the energy to write about it now.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

well golly gosh no wonder you feel exhausted, depressed, irritable, unable to focus, etc,etc. It's so frustrating when there is so much messing around finding the "right" dose as well. Sending you big hugs across our pond xxx

Michele said...

I'm glad it came down. Hopefully that will continue and you will feel better.

If it makes you feel better, my maintenance dose is 175-200 b/c of the Hashimoto's.

Shanti Mama said...

Thanks for the lesson p.s.

I hope that this adjustment also helps with mood and energy. Grief and TSH levels, not a great combo. Keep us posted.

Much love.

Amy said...

Yikes! I hope the new dosage will lower your numbers and help you feel more energized and able to cope with each day.

Thinking of you!

Bluebird said...

Oh, wow, honey! Any chance we can look at this as good news, just for the fact that it might explain some things? I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. I know how frustrating health problems are in the midst of everything else

Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better soon - they thyroid is such an important gland. I just finished reading "Sexy Hormones" and didn't realize how much it does. No wonder you haven't been feeling well. Big hugs. xoxo

Snarky Belle said...

Thinking of you and keeping you close in prayers and the best of good health wishes! :)

Donna said...

Wow - no ownder you've ben feeling so wiped out! I really hope the new dose will help get your TSH under control! Will you get checked again soon?

Carly Marie said...

All I can do is send you my love.

Praying for you tonight xxx

Brenna said...

Oh my goodness! Yes, I would imagine that might explain a symptom or two. I'm so sorry, hon. I hope the increased dosage helps! ((Hugs))

Nissa said...

I am so sorry to hear of yoru current results. I cannot imagine how you can even get out of bed. I know that Riss's Endo said sometimes people don't absorb Synthroid as well as some of the other thyroid replacement meds (their names escape me at the moment). Maybe those will be an option if your level is still elevated. You continue to be in my thoughts.