3.12.2009

No News

As predicted, I learned nothing during the ultrasound today and I haven't heard anything about the blood tests yet.

When I first lay down onto the ultrasound table, I tried to watch the screen and figure out for myself what the thing was. I soon realized that I had no idea how to read an ultrasound. I knew one side of my neck would look different than the other side. Duh. I have a lump. Watching the ultrasound would give me no more insight into what the lump is. So, I just closed my eyes and waited.

For a brief moment, I thought I might cry. It hit me that in my world, ultrasounds are meant for babies. Not necks. I was actually relieved the ultrasound tech asked only if I'd ever had an ultrasound on my neck, not whether I'd ever had an ultrasound for a baby.

Update: Still no news. I called the doctor's office and left a message, but I didn't get a return call. Perhaps tomorrow.

13 comments:

Bluebird said...

What a strange feeling that must have been! I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this on top of everything else. Any idea how soon you'll get the results?

Snarky Belle said...

I am so sorry!! I wish I had something profound and helpful to say. I got nothin'. Just more well wishes, thoughts, and prayers.
Love and peace to you!

Anonymous said...

I probably would have cried, I agree u/s are for babies not anything else. It is something how small victories like the tech not asking you about u/s in general can be so important.
I am so rooy that you are having to deal with this, I hope that the results come soon and you can be at ease.

Thank you for you post, and yes the days leading up to the actual EDD are a little more difficult than the actual day, at least for me. The anticipation for me is always the worst.
I have been able to find some peace today, I will post about it tomorrow.

Michele said...

Sending you a big hug and the hopes that you will soon know what's going on.

Hope's Mama said...

Keeping you in my thoughts. What a scary time for you right now.

Ruth said...

strangely enough, I just had an ultrasound done on my legs, actually an arterial doppler study but I had the same thought though that u/s are for when you are pregnant. . .

Gretchen said...

I'm so sorry about this experience for you. I am thinking of you as the doctors try to determine what the heck is wrong. Also, commiserating with you that the steps in your diagnosis include an ultrasound.

CLC said...

Thinking of you. How scary to not have answers yet. I am hoping that it turns out to be nothing.

Alana said...

Just catching up...

--Don't worry about the Halloween decor. If it is helping you cope with the loss of your sweet E, who cares what the neighbors think?

--Sorry you still don't have answers regarding your neck.

--Happy that you and DH are able to find humor: "goiter" and "adam's apple" while you wait it out.

Hope you get answers soon!

Brenna said...

Thinking about you and hoping for an answer soon! Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Make sure you also read the ultrasound report:
The “heterogeneous echo texture” is the sign of past or present inflammatory process {thyroididitis];
In advanced case it looks like “Swiss cheese”;
The cyst is a colloid or blood filled blister; can be drained, and if reoccurs treated with PEI or surgery.
Solid nodules or lumps in excess of 1 cm in size are subject to biopsy.
Microcalcification in ill-defined nodules with increased blood flow should be considered suspicious.

Mommy (You can call me OM) said...

O.T. - Thanks! I'll be sure to bring your advice with me when I see the doctor on Thursday.
Do you know if what I've described could cause stillbirth? I also had a ridiculous number of migraines while pregnant with E. Do you know if these symptoms are in any way related?

Anonymous said...

Hirch (2008) lists the factors that could contribute to a miscarriage include:
• abnormal hormone levels in the mother, such as thyroid hormone
• uncontrolled diabetes
• exposure to environmental and workplace hazards, such as radiation or toxic agents
• certain infections
• uterine abnormalities
• incompetent cervix, or when the cervix begins to open (dilate) and thin (efface) before the pregnancy has reached term
• certain medications, such as the acne drug Accutane
(http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/sexual/miscarriage.html).
There is definite connection between abnormal hormone levels and stillbirth. Although now your levels are normal, there is still possible that they were off or fluctuating during pregnancy.