3.20.2009

Cancer

To spare you from reading the details, here's the diagnosis first: papillary thyroid cancer. The following gives you the timeline of events:

Yesterday, I went to see an Endocrinologist about my thyroid nodules. The ultrasound last week indicated the presence of three nodules, one large one on each side of my neck and one very small nodule (I can't remember it's location). The left one is the one that I felt last week, prompting me to see my Family Practice doctor. The right one is bigger, but I still cannot feel it because it's apparently not as close to my skin as the left one.

The consulting doctor (I go to a large teaching hospital) recommended a biopsy due to the size of the nodules, despite there being no other reason for concern from the ultrasound. Immediately, I underwent a fine needle aspiration biopsy, which is the only non-surgical method to determine whether or not the nodules are malignant. Two doctors "tag teamed", alternating turns with the ultrasound and the needle. While one doctor held the ultrasound to my neck, the other doctor located the precise spot to insert the needle. They did this three times on each side of my neck. (Side note: If you ever undergo this procedure, don't let them fool you -- it HURTS. Like a mother effer. No anesthetic. Just this needle jabbing into you for what seems like minutes at a time, shoving your throat to the other side of the room.)

My husband and N went with me today to get the results from the biopsy, while L and O were at school and preschool. The doctor said that the right side is benign, but the left side is malignant. My husband was visibly more upset than I. I researched this cancer quite a bit prior to today, so I knew its prognosis is typically good. And, I suppose because it's my body and I feel I can control it, perhaps I wasn't as shocked as my husband. If I heard the word cancer associated with my husband, I'd probably feel more unsettled.

Treatment:
My thyroid will be completely removed and as long as there are no other signs of cancer, I'll need no further treatment for the cancer. I will take a hormone replacement tablet daily for the rest of my life. If there is more cancer, the likely treatment regime includes iodine radiation. It's unlikely I'll need treatment beyond that.

The endocrinologist said that because my thyroid function has not been altered by the nodule (my blood tests are fine for TSH), this condition did not cause E's death. I think I'm relieved by that because it somehow takes some of the fear out of trying for another baby. The doctor also said that treatment for thyroid cancer will not inhibit my ability to get pregnant or to safely carry a baby. If I do need radiation therapy, I will need to wait a year before trying again because the radiation could "zap" the baby's thyroid. (Don't you just love my medically accurate description?)

I'll have blood drawn tomorrow for a calcium infusion test. Then, I meet with the surgeon Monday to schedule the surgery. I'll also meet with another doctor at some point to check on my vocal cords prior to surgery.

It all feels very surreal to me right now. I think because this cancer is so treatable, I haven't broken down emotionally yet. The biopsy yesterday completely wiped me out and I'm still sore from that. But, emotionally I'm OK. I don't know how much cancer is in my body, so until surgery I'll try to remain hopeful. I have no reason to believe surgery won't rid my body of all the cancer. (Maybe I'll have a different perspective in a few days.)

Please pray that the cancer is localized so that I do not need to take the iodine. I'd like to try for another baby as soon as possible.

30 comments:

Alana said...

Holy sh*t you're having quite a month, aren't you??

I SOOOO admire your strength!

I've been keeping you and your family in my prayers, and will continue to do so. However, I will now add prayers that the cancer is localized and won't need iodine treatment.

You're in my thoughts!

Snarky Belle said...

I am so sorry! I don't know what to say, and for that I am sorry!!
Of course you will be in my prayers, as usual, but now with added requests!! I am on my way to email you.

Michelle said...

Wow, isn't this just what you need right now?! I will definitely keep you in my prayers and hope that the cancer is localized. My grandmother beat three different types of cancer last year because they hadn't spread. It sounds like the prognosis is good so far!

Hope's Mama said...

Keeping you very much in my thoughts xo

Carly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carly said...

OM-

I just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you and hoping that procedures will be smooth.

Anonymous said...

I am keeping you in my prayers as always, I will pray that the cancer is localized and you will not need iodine.
You are incredibly strong, I so admire every ounce of you. Take care OM.

Brenna said...

Shit!!! I'm so SO sorry to hear this. You sound really strong about it, and I'm also optimistic after reading the info you linked to--it sounds like this can and hopefully WILL be nipped in the bud before further treatments are necessary. I'm thinking about you and sending lots of prayers~
xxoo

Anonymous said...

Even if biopsy is suspicios for thyroid cancer, there is 1 in 5 chance that the tumor is stil benign[that is why they are dont think you need a RAI treatment}
Best of luck!!

Anonymous said...

you are in my thoughts and prayers. Have faith and try to remain positive.

Tash said...

OM, I'm so sorry to read this. You're in my thoughts as you move forward.

Sara said...

I am happy the prognosis looks good for you. I will keep you close in my thoughts and prayers. I'll pray for your entire family was well.

Anonymous said...

I'm speechless. So I will just pray (which right now doesn't seem very helpful) and I wish i could do more xxxx

Anonymous said...

I've added you to my blogroll and believe you me, if you weren't in Minesota dinner would be on its way to you!!! My brother is an ENT here in Oz so please ping me an email if you have ANY questions xxxxx

Ruth said...

Dearest. You have been so encouraging and loving to me and I am so sad that you and your family have to go through yet another traumatic event. Sometimes, I just want to throw my head back and shout up to the sky. . .when is enough, ENOUGH!!! You are going to be fine and this is one of the "better" and most easily treatable/curable cancers. I know a little about this being a certified oncology nurse. . .but still this SUCKS! Please keep your chin up, young person! Sending my love. Wish that I could help in a more tangible way. Let us know, esp. prayer requests.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear this - but happy to hear the prognosis looks good, both for you, and future pregnancies.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers as you begin to digest this information.

Michelle said...

Wow I can't believe it! I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis but the prognosis sounds good. I will be praying for you and that it is localized.

BTW needles in your throat does sound VERY PAINFUL.

Good Luck to you. You are in my thoughts and prayers!

Michele said...

All I thought of when I saw your post title was "Oh God, no." I just can't believe it.

I have to take Synthroid (the hormone replacement for a removed thyroid). While mine is still there, an autoimmune disease has made it defunct. Other than being monitored during pregnancy to make sure the TSH is where it needs to be, it's not too much of a problem.

But that is neither here nor there. You are so strong, dear one. You will get through this. Of course your husband is scared. While we dont think of the end for ourselves because we can beat whatever life throws at us, they have to face even the idea of life without us. But you will beat this. You will. It's a minor setback, but you are strong and this will not hold you down.

You are in my prayers and my thoughts.

Shanti Mama said...

I just am catching up with my blog reading and this was the first one I read. OM, I am so sorry. Please keep us posted. Sending healing love and energy to you.

Brenna said...

Just another quick check-in to say you're in my thoughts constantly--I'm sending you all the good vibes I possibly can, along with tons of virtual hugs. Wish I could be there to give you one in person...

Mommy (You can call me OM) said...

Hi All,
Thank you so much for all your supportive comments and prayers. I'll try to post later today, but I wanted to be sure you knew I was here.
I know this is "the best cancer" to have, but I admit I still don't like hearing the word cancer in any context. But, believe me, I'm grateful despite my fears of the unknown.
Peace.

Bluebird said...

Well shit. I take a break from reading for *one day* and look what happens!!!

Seriously, though OM - I am so, so sorry to hear this. You absolutely do not need one more thing on your plate right now - particularly not a health issue, I would think. Regardless of prognosis and/or treatment, the "C" word is terrifying and I'm sorry you had to hear it and have to live with it.

You wrote this post with so much strength and grace, and I just hope and pray that these traits stick with you and carry you through the coming days and weeks. If you're anything like me, this will begin to crack and some point - when enough is really enough. . . just know that, although we're not "there," we'll be *here* to help in any way we can.

((Hugs)) sweet OM!

Gretchen said...

Well, this just isn't fair. I am so sorry to hear about the prognosis - though it does sound like there is plenty of room for positive energy. I will keep you in my prayers for certain. Please keep us updated on everything.

Mrs. Spit said...

Hoping things work out well for you.

Jus and Kat said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you . . . wow, talk about being a survivor. You're my hero right now.

bleu said...

Hi, here from LFCA. I had Papillary AND Adenocarcenoma of my thyroid at 19. I am currently 41.

I wanted to say even with a bad scare 2 years ago I have been cancer free since my surgery. The papillary is the best of the thyroid cancers to have if that helps a lot and are most often encapsulated which is also great for clear margins.

The fine needle aspirations DO hurt like hell, I so feel you there, with mine they numbed my skin but the pain is the damn pressure of sucking out fluid and bits and oh yes it hurts soooooo much.

I wanted to say it IS scary, way more scary with a child for sure (my scare 2 years back was way more terrifying than my actual cancer before for that reason) but it is very treatable and living on thyroid meds have not been problematic in my life.

I wish you much love and luck and if ever you have a queston feel free to write.

Anonymous said...

Hey there,
I was diagnosed with Papillary Thyroid Cancer last year.... Please email me dmouse124@yahoo.com and I'd be happy to chat about the process and all that stuff. D.

Nissa said...

Hi I am a lurker and I just wanted you to know my 15 year old was diagnosed in January with this type of cancer. You can read about it on my blog if you have any questions about treatment. She had a total thyroidectomy on March 2nd and has healed up remarkably well. She did not have to have any radiation(They do not use the radioactive iodine on kids due to the increased risk of stomach cancer for that age group. I will be keeping you in my thoughts.

still life angie said...

i just read this and wanted to sending you some grounding, strength and love. much love to you.

CLC said...

I am sorry I am late to this. I am sorry you have to deal with this too. Why does life have to be so hard?