I've sort of hit a 'blog block' the last few days. Perhaps I'm simply adjusting to summer schedule without the usual structure school provides. If I've missed some of your posts, I apologize. I know I get anxious when I don't see comments on my blog. But, please know I'm trying to read but I can't always comment right now. That's pretty lame, isn't it?
:::
My family and I are going to visit my grandparents for a few days. It's hard to say how Grandpa is doing without actually being there with him. I seem to get conflicting reports from one day to the next. Sometimes I hear he's doing well, going to Mass, checking on his chickens, and even going to the casino. Other times I hear he's in bed more and eating less. I think the pneumonia is gone. Nobody really knows how far the cancer has progressed and nobody is looking for that answer.
This weekend is my grandparent's 60th wedding anniversary. I know my Grandma was anxiously dreading that Grandpa wouldn't be with us to celebrate this milestone. I'm grateful they've officially made it. Sixty years! They didn't marry young either. That always strikes me for some reason. They certainly weren't old when they married. But, in that era, people married quite young. He was about 32 and she was about 26. And, they had ten kids despite their 'late' start!
:::
I attended my third or fourth Compassionate Friends meeting this week. The group I attend is wonderfully accepting and caring. I cried this week as I shared that I oftentimes feel like an impostor grieving for E. The outside world seems to need reminding that my daughter died and that's partly why I'm not entirely functional these days. The outside world wants a bigger reason than that. It's as if the outside world views pregnancy as simply a condition, much like having a skin condition. "Oh, yes. She used to have acne. Now she doesn't. It went away." The outside world is moronic. What does the outside world think created the 'condition' of pregnancy? Apparently, the outside world doesn't realize it's a baby that even makes the word pregnancy possible. The outside world doesn't grasp why I would grieve over losing my 'acne.'
:::
Last week, after receiving O's blood test results, I felt relieved. I've never been so happy to be crazy or stupid or hyper vigilant. I got the results in the mail today along with our doctor's brief note summarizing our phone conversation. He pointed out the slightly elevated glucose level and reiterated we'll simply test O again in a year or more.
As I reviewed the results, I noticed another part of the test that was outside the normal range. Our doctor didn't discuss this one. He typically would tell me that even though something appears abnormal, it's benign because of this or that. But, he said nothing. There's even a little star by the abnormality, indicating it's outside the reference range.
I feel a bit like I'm back at square one with this. Again, I'm hopeful I'm crazy. Or stupid. Or hyper vigilant. I'll call the doctor tomorrow.
6.11.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


13 comments:
No apologies ever necessary for "blog block"...especially among friends!
I hope you and your family have a nice time when you visit your grandparents...60 years! Wow, that's so sweet!!
"The outside world doesn't grasp why I would grieve over losing my 'acne.'"...ughhhh, this is so true and beyond frustrating!!
Good idea to call the doctor. O is in my prayers, as is your whole family.
Peace and love to you!
I'm on a blog block right now too.
I hope you group is working for you, I felt so much better when I went to a SHARE meeting. It was like having my blog friends in real life!
Let us know how O is.
Cheers to 60 years, wow.
60 years is amazingly awesome...I'm striving for that one. So far, it looks like 60 years is too short.
About O's blood test, glad you are calling tomorrow. Stay on them. Let him explain why it is starred and elevated. You won't have to go through any of this alone, OM, including the questions and hyper vigilance.
You are always incredibly supportive with comments, so I would categorize you as the opposite of lame. I think I was on a blog block too, unintentionally. I left for two days came back and have 30+ new posts in my reader. I tried to catch up, but I know I missed something. But I'm back now, and sending lots of love.
I'm so glad your grandfather gets to be there to celebrate his 60th anniversary. That's really amazing!
No need to apologize. We all need a break once in a while.
"The outside world seems to need reminding that my daughter died and that's partly why I'm not entirely functional these days." - wow, this struck a chord with me. Sometimes I feel like others just don't think this happened. That I didn't have a baby and he died.... sucks.
Congrats to your grandparents - truly amazing!
Looking forward to hearing about the follow up with O's doctor. I am hoping it's "nothing" again.
xx
No worries, dear one! Focus on you and your fam- that is the most important thing.
I'm so happy that your grandparents hit their 60th. Peter and I often joke that neither of us can even think of dying until we hit our 75th (he'll be 2 months shy of 95 and I'll have just turned 93). I love hearing of long marriages.
I say, call the doc if you need reassurance. You are a parent and being over-vigilant is part of the job!
Your baby was alive and was a person who was so loved that your grief is a deep expression of that. People should realize that it doesnt matter how long a person lives (in the womb or outside of it), it is the love that we have for them that is reflected in our grief and our lives. It burns me that people discount the loss that parents feel for their babies.
Hi friend :) I am beyond amazed at 60 years!! And I'm so, so glad you included how old they were when they married - for some reason I have it in my head that B and I will/ can never reach such milestomes because "people got married younger back then." But we got married when I was 25 and he was 26, so it's totally doable ;) And mostly, love that Grandpa's here to celebrate it.
Love your analogy about acne.
And anxious to hear about O's bloodwork.
60 years is amazing - congratulations to them both!
And that outside world is a harsh place sometimes, thankfully we have a softer, gentler version of it here.
OM---taking 'blog breaks' as you need them is acceptable! We all want you to take care of YOU! :)
60 years of marriage----wowsers! How wonderful!
Hope doctor is able to give answers about O. Sorry the tests are causing you concern again.
Dear OM, I hope you and your family have a especially nice time celebrating such a great milestone of 60 years of marriage, that's often unheard of in this day and age. I have recently set up a memorial blog called 'Eternal Names By The Sea' which is to honour our precious lost loved one's in memory to my precious baby son who I lost in 1994. The ther day while I was at my local beach writing names by the sea, I was thinking of you and your struggles, and I hope you don't mind, but I wrote "E' by the sea, and I would love to email these photos to you. if you would like to know more about my memorial blog, and what its all about, the link is: http://eternalnamesbythesea.blogspot.com/
I look forward to hearing from you.
(((Hugs)))
Kay xxxx
Sometimes outside of normal isn't too abnormal. I hope that your doc can reassure you that the test is okay.
And yes, the outside world likes to keep things neat and tidy and not be reminded of the things that hurt and make the world a less than perfect, happy ending place.
But 60 years, that's a happy story!
Thats not lame - thats life!
praying for you and your family, So happ you have found Compassionate Friends x
Hey friend! What'd the dr. say? Feel free to email me!
Post a Comment