I'm depressed. I really can't put my finger on 'why' -- I just am. Depressed. Surely, I'll continue to blog about all the reasons for my depression. But when it really comes down to it, this depression isn't really connected to a reason. It's visceral. It's simply coursing through my blood. It's inescapable. It feels as if an elephant is sitting on my chest. Like an anchor is pulling my body toward the depths of despair.
I often feel that not only am I misunderstood, but I don't understand. I don't understand people. I don't understand relationships. I don't understand my role in any of it.
I started taking Zoloft after my first child was born. I remember sitting in a counselor's office while my daughter slept in her infant car seat. I didn't want to become 'a martyr like my mother.' Somebody who uses guilt to gain love. I wanted my daughter to never feel she had to be with me or I'd fall apart (and it'd be her fault). I didn't and I don't want my children to feel that burden.
As I write this, I realize I need to get my butt back into a counselor's office. It's one thing to allow depression to ruin my life, but it's quite another when it seeps into my children's lives. Perhaps this post will serve as a resolution of sorts. A resolution to face my mental health and take responsibility for it.
6.18.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


17 comments:
It takes enormous courage to admit depression. I hope you make the call and see your counsellor asap. That said, given everything you have been through how you are feeling is totally understandable. I hope you get the elephant off your chest soon. I'm sending my love OM xxx
As Seraphim says, you are brave for examining it at all, dear OM. But I think all of us here understand...it is hard to know the difference between dealing with everything we are going through and depression. You have been through so much, OM. Whether it is depression, or situational sadness, post-partum or post-major illness, talking about it right now with a therapist seems like it can only help. All that being said, we will be here through it. with much love.
I know the feeling. I am struggling with depression myself. I have a really good book my therapist gave me to read, The Secret Language of Feelings, by C. Banyon. It helped me understand where depression comes from and I have learnt to deal with it better. AND i realise, I could to with a refresher on the subject to get out of it (my depression). Thank you for posting. It's like it woke me up and now I'm gonna read that book again. Which will help. So, thank you for helping me. :-)
love and strength
xx Ines
It's so hard to come to terms with needing help. It's a big step to open up and tell someone what has been going on in your life. You've been dealing with so many personal issues lately - now it's time to take care of yourself.
Oh OM... Honey, talking about it is the first step. And you are doing that. Make that call to your counselor. That is such a hard and important move. My best friend has struggled with depression her entire life and the last few years have been a nightmare. It wasnt until she got help earlier this year that her true, bright colors came out. Things we'd seen in small pieces but never like this. And she is doing so well. It's a blessing.
With the cards you've been dealt, especially recently, it is no doubt that you are feeling this way! You are so strong and I know that you can overcome this with help. Sending you prayers and big, big hugs.
Like Sarah said, it takes such incredible strength and courage to admit you would like help.
Please take care of you. Make the call. We could all use a little (or a lot) of guidance to get us through this Hell we have been forced to live. There is nothing weak in seeking it out.
Prayers and love to you.
I am beyond proud of you for this post. It sounds as if you've realized what's going on, and there's even a hint that you're somewhat at peace with it - okay, here's what's going on; now let's fix it. I so admire you, dear OM, and am completely confident that this post was exactly the final little nudge you needed to get back to your counselor and get on the path to figuring this out. I'm just so glad you're willing and able to do that.
Oh, and fwiw, I don't want depression to ruin *your* life either :), although I can only imagine what motivation your sweet children must be.
I think many people in our society today are depressed.And most do nothing about it. The best thing I did for myself this year was to find a therapist/life coach. She is incredible and I love my time with her. I think the key is finding someone that fits you -- your lifestyle. Be easy on yourself, no matter what. It is so hard when our children our involved. I continue to work daily -- one step at a time. Peace to you.
"I often feel that not only am I misunderstood, but I don't understand. I don't understand people. I don't understand relationships. I don't understand my role in any of it."
This really resonates with me. I have been feeling this way for some time. For me, I have no doubt it's related to the walls that have been erected (by me, intentionally by necessity and unintentionally -- and also by others) after the loss of my son.
I usually find, if I can't "put my finger on it", there is a deep and sometimes hard to find linkage back to my grief. It's hard to discern between grief and depression sometimes, but I find it's really important for me to stop and consider which I'm experiencing, or whether it's both. There have been times that my grief has "looked" a lot like depression and if a therapist were to try and treat it as depression, I think it could have done more damage.
I am not saying you are NOT experiencing depression -- I'm just saying that you lost E less than a year ago and you shouldn't be too hard on yourself as you learn to feel the raw edges of this grief, if that's the core of what this is. Regardless, I don't think seeking quality help can be a bad thing.
Just thinking of you...
Sending lots of love. I'm inspired by your courage to look at what "it" is. Take care. Will be thinking of you. Peace.
I believe that "acknowledging" is the first step.
((HUGS))
I sincerely admire your courage and honesty. You are such a wonderful mother, always thinking of your children and wanting to do what's best for them. Please never forget that there are so many of us who are here, thinking of you and cheering you on because we want you to be healthy and to feel peace.
Love you!
I'm in the waiting room at the office already.
My living child is what helped me to make the decision to go too. I want to be a healthy mom and not repeat a pattern that I grew up with (once again, similar stories).
I'm glad you have made this choice. We'll be here with you.
Admitting that you are at the stage of needing help is a brave place to be ... wishing we could all be there to help you through it.
Thinking of you and proud of you for making a huge decision. Much love.
All I can do is offer you my love.
It sounds like you have yourself heading in a good direction.
Peace to you x
I am sending you many virtual hugs. I understand how it is to feel overwhelmed and depressed. Life can be difficult sometimes. I hope that you feel better soon
Post a Comment