6.07.2009

Little Signs

We completed another year of school last week. L completed first grade and O completed preschool. Both children attend the same Catholic school which is part of one Catholic school system within our city. I attended another Catholic grade school within that system. My mother attended the same school my children attend as well as another Catholic grade school within that system. My father-in-law attended Catholic grade school along with my mom and they graduated the same year.

When my husband and I returned to our hometown nearly five years ago, we decided to 'try out' the Catholic schools by enrolling L in preschool there. Fortunately, we've been mostly happy with the school and L now has four years of Catholic schooling under her belt. While I didn't attend the particular school L and O attend, there is a level of familiarity for me because each Catholic school is under the same umbrella. Some of the teachers attended high school within the same era as I did and many of the current parents were my classmates or my brother's classmates. At times, it's a bit too close for comfort. But usually, there's comfort in knowing the history of the building and its people.

L's gym teacher was my gym teacher. Sometime between my school age years and L beginning school, Mr. A switched Catholic grade schools. Personally, I don't recall feeling such affinity toward this man that the current students now adore. Mr. A is certainly now one of the favorite teachers at L's school. With his high fives, his contests to name Santa's reindeer in order, his welcoming bellow of each child by name as they enter the building in the morning, and his 'jokester' ways, it's easy to see why they love him.

The last day of school, L, O, N, and I personally delivered teacher gifts. As we entered the gym, Mr. A blew his whistle to halt the junior high dodge ball game and bellowed L's name in his booming voice. L gave Mr. A his potted plant which Mr. A said he would plant in his garden immediately upon returning home. Mr. A turned to me and said, "Did you have a good year?" I shrugged and said no. Mr. A looked into my eyes and said, "I know. We had years exactly like that. Exactly." I said, "Really? Do you know about E?" "Yep", he said. "Exactly. Our daughter's name was also E. And we lost a son."

I told Mr. A I had no idea and I thanked him for telling me and for admitting how hard it can be to live in the world. As Mr. A's eyes teared up, he said it's been over fifteen years for him and his wife. But, it's still hard. He said it takes a long time to function in the world again and it never becomes easy. I appreciated his honesty and that he made no attempt to encourage me to 'get over it.'

*** *** *** *** ***

At mass this morning, L sat playing with something in her purse. I finally looked down and saw her holding a blue pen. I asked her what it was and where she got it. She said it was her favorite pen and that it showed up in the driveway adjoining ours. I looked at the pen again and read its inscription: M Funeral Home, Serving You for over 100 Years. The funeral home who cared for E. The funeral home whose representative came to my hospital room not just once, but three times to check on my well being. The funeral home whose representative came to our private graveside service and took pictures of our family without us having to ask.


*** *** *** *** ***

After mass, we went to the grocery store. At checkout, O pointed to the ceiling with excitement as he spotted a lone fly-away balloon. A butterfly.

12 comments:

Michele said...

i teared up reading this. we never know the things people hold in the silence of their hearts.
i have no doubt that E sends little messages that she is okay. shee is okay... they all are... even though it hurts...

caitsmom said...

DH and I have met several bereaved parents since our daughter died, and they are often people we already knew. It's a sad and sometimes silent group. Peace.

Shanti Mama said...

I have since met many people who have confined we've-been-there-too. It is that shitty club that we don't want to be a part of, but we are not alone. We never know who is there with us.

The pen really choked me up.

Beautiful that E is letting you know she's there with all of you.

Alana said...

Teary eyed here. The funeral home pen and butterfly balloon were touching to read about.

And how moving that Mr. A shared his story with you!

Brenna said...

E definitely finds ways to let you know she's with you, doesn't she? The Mr. A story is really touching--I teared up, too. I appreciate when people are so open and upfront about their grief and the difficulty of losing a child, it's sometimes just nice to hear that we aren't alone. Thinking about you~

Bluebird said...

What a sweet post; I love it :) B had a similar experience over the weekend - someone asked, "So, your wife was pregnant right?" B gave a one-sentance response, to which the questioner responded: "I understand. *Exactly*" It's that "exactly" that finally allows us to open up a bit, isn't it :)

Just getting caught up on my reading - breathed a huge sigh of relief over O's test results. So glad you're crazy :)

Carly said...

Oh my gosh that is so touching. How sweet of L. Funny how those things happen when you least expect. That was so nice of Mr. A. to share, you never know when you meet people if they have been there. I always feel different toward them, I don't know an understanding or something. Thinking of you.

Snarky Belle said...

Of course this left me with tears in my eyes. Mr.A, the pen, the butterfly...all so beautiful. "Little Signs", "God winks"...whatever they are, I'm just so very thankful for them!

And, I have to tell you how touched I was by the fact that you had the courage to answer his question about whether or not you've had a good year with an honest "no". You are brave and strong. I pray you never doubt that for a moment!

Love and peace.

Gretchen said...

It's so nice to be surprised by a positive interaction in a place that can be mildly stressful.

What an incredible funeral home you dealt with - that is unusual.

Anonymous said...

I still find it amazing how God's grace brings those little signs to us just when we need them. I think of you often! We also think of Cameron when we see butterflies, and now I will also think of E.

Hugs
Lesley

Anonymous said...

What a touching story....
I too have had those moments with other people where they understand "exactly"... it is sometimes strange because the thing that brings us closer togther is so difficult, but you just "know" that person "gets it".

It warms my heart that E still tells you that she is ok, I just love those moments.... they take my breath away.

T said...

we never know the things people hold in the silence of their hearts.

Yes, beautiful words Michelle.

Such wonderful messages little E has sent you.....your sweet girl.