4.07.2009

Blog Break/More Sad News

Could you add another prayer to the list? My grandpa is dying. We've decided to take the kids out of school tomorrow to make sure we see him.

He's actually not biologically related to me, but I was and am closer to him than any of my other grandparents. My mom was good friends with one of their ten children. As a single parent, my mom relied on them often throughout my childhood. Since the age of four, I spent at least a month every Summer on their farm. My grandma's brother, a priest, co-officiated at our wedding and baptized L. I've never called him or his wife anything other than 'Grandpa' and 'Grandma.' My husband and all the kids call them 'Grandma' and 'Grandpa.'

When I was in junior high, my Grandpa entered residential treatment for alcoholism. Alcohol had become his escape after one of their sons was killed in a construction accident. I carry an incredibly clear memory of the moment I discovered Grandpa was in treatment. I was at basketball practice and my mom told me. I cried, thinking he must be so lonely. My grandpa typically never wrote letters or cards. When he was in treatment, he wrote to me. Only me. And only when he was in treatment. I cherish the words and the pictures he drew for me, his "Dearest OM (OK, he didn't actually call me that)."

Grandpa went to the hospital Sunday morning, against his wishes. In the wee morning hours leading up to his trip to the hospital, he told Grandma he thought he was dying. He didn't want to go to the hospital because he wanted to die at home. Grandma pleaded with him to go and after one of their sons convinced Grandpa that he could go back home if nothing could be done at the hospital, Grandpa gave into their wishes.

At the hospital, they discovered a lot of fluid in his lungs. They gave him oxygen, IV fluids, and antibiotics. He greatly improved within hours at the hospital. He underwent a series of tests on Monday. Today, we learned Grandpa has lung cancer. Grandpa returned to his home today and will not undergo medical treatment. Hospice will come to his house tomorrow. Grandma has chosen to not tell Grandpa he has cancer unless he specifically asks. We are honoring her wishes as we know Grandpa would prefer it this way. He is 92.

Tomorrow, we will travel two hours and pick up Grandpa and Grandma's daughter, R. We'll bring her to their house, another hour away, because her car is making funny noises. I'm not sure what we'll do after that. It's possible we'll just stay the day or perhaps a few days. We'll just take it as it comes. I am humbled that he asked for me. I would have come anyway as I would do anything for this man. He is the reason I've remained Catholic because he's lived an exemplary life to which I aspire.

I know this is ridiculously lengthy, but I couldn't simply write one sentence about my Grandpa. Thank you for your prayers.

Sincerely,
OM

13 comments:

Bluebird said...

Honey, my heart breaks for you. How much more must you bear?? I'm sure you've wondered the same.

All of my thoughts and prayers are with you and you family; your hubby; your little ones; your Grandma and your Grandpa. I can't imagine what a difficult time this will be and words escape me. Please be secure in the knowledge that we are with you in spirit, and waiting to listen whenever you want to talk.

Safe travels, dear friend. And comfort and peace to you all.

still life angie said...

Oh, Dearest OM,
I am just so incredibly sorry to hear about your Grandpa. The depth and beauty of your words really speak volumes about the type of man he is. My thoughts are with your family right now.

Just wanted to let you know that in the last four months, my father in law died of lung cancer three weeks before my daughter. My grandmother died last month. If you want to email privately at all, please do not hesitate. (uberangie (at) gmail (dot) com).

Much love,
Angie

Donna said...

I'm so sorry! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Michele said...

OM, I am so sorry. So very sorry. We lost Peter's last grandparent, his grandfather, a few years ago and it is still so fresh in my mind. We will, of course, light a candle and pray for your grandpa.

Anonymous said...

keeping you and your grandpa in my prayers. have a safe trip. wishing peace and comfort. hugs

Brenna said...

I'm holding you and your family in my heart. Your grandpa sounds like a kind, sweet man. I know that he will be missed dearly.

Anonymous said...

OH OM, I am keeping you and your family close. Please travel safely and we are always here. Thinking of you....

Jen L said...

I'm so sorry. He sounds like such a dear man. I'm so glad you are going and will get to be with him. Safe travels. My prayers are with you.

k@lakly said...

I'm so sorry. I will be thinking of you and your grandpa and your family. I hope that he is not in any pain and that he continues to be surrounded by the things and people he loves. Always.
xxoo

~*~Bodhi~*~ said...

I lost my beloved Dad to Cancer of the Lung the day after my birthday last year.

It's a heartbreaking disease and one I would not wish on my worst enemy.

I truly hope your Grandpa has a peaceful quick passing like my Dad was lucky enough to have.

You're in my thoughts.

xxxx

Anonymous said...

delurking to say I am so sorry. My grandfather died of lung cancer twelve years ago. While he did undergo chemo and radiation, it was not an aggressive course due to his age, and infection after a round of chemo is what precipitated his final days.
I am thinking and praying for you. I know these days ahead will be difficult, but I hope you can keep your good memories close to your heart. Words cannot express how hard of a time this is...

CLC said...

I am so sorry about your Grandpa. He and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Amy said...

I'm so sorry. He sounds like a wonderful man and someone who has given your life so much love and meaning. What a special bond you two have. I know how hard it is to watch a loved one die. Again, I am sorry.