I can feel it coming - the rambling. You've been forewarned. This post will be anything but succinct.
Last night, I spent one of my two hour spans of stamina out with my husband. We went to a little independent restaurant known for its wine, unique cuisine, and romantic atmosphere. It was a nice little getaway from the confines of my bedroom. We shared an appetizer, salad, coffee, and the most exquisite French Silk pie. Summit Extra Pale Ale for my husband. A large bottle of San Pellegrino for me.
As we sat in our little corner of the restaurant, I spotted a couple of my high school classmates walking to another table. Guy 1 lives here, in the town where we were raised. Guy 2 lives out of state and his parents no longer live here. Considering I live in a town that lacks tourism, few reasons inspire one to visit -- unless you liken world renowned medical care to Disney World. I dated Guy 2's brother for four years (if you can call an on-again-off-again high school drama 'dating'). I spent countless hours at their house. However, I'm not unique in that regard because Guy 2 and his brother hosted innumerable parties throughout high school until several years after college. Guy 2 finished his medical residency here years ago and operates a successful private practice. He and his wife have three children. Why he was here presented an enigma.
When my husband and I got up to leave, I walked up behind Guy 2 and grabbed him by the shoulders. Guy 1 had heard about my cancer and expressed his sympathies. Guy 2 inquired about my life and I filled him in on the cancer and losing E. Ironically, the reason Guy 2 is here is because his wife had thyroid cancer years ago. She's back here for another recurrence (this is at least the second one) of cancerous nodules in her neck. Her cancer recurred despite radiated iodine treatments following her original surgery and her second surgery.
Guy 2 and his wife had no children when she was originally diagnosed. They delayed starting their family because they took her doctor's advice to undergo the iodine treatment. You see, after a woman takes radiated iodine she must wait a year prior to conceiving. Otherwise, the residual radiation destroys the baby's thyroid. This time, she will refuse radiated iodine. She's been seeing a different doctor here who opposes the use of radiated iodine to treat cancerous nodules. He believes it's ineffective for that purpose. Her case presents anecdotal evidence supporting that theory.
Interesting side note: Guy 2 has his own thyroid troubles. He was diagnosed with Graves disease about a year ago. He also took the radiated iodine, but he took it to destroy his thyroid. Somewhat similar in purpose to his wife's treatment (the iodine destroyed any residual thyroid following surgery), yet completely different (he had no surgery and no cancer).
Guy 2 clearly carries resentment regarding his wife's previous treatment plan. That treatment plan messed with their reproductive years and created worry about their children's thyroids. And for what? For more cancer. And more. I understand his resentment. And, I understand why he told me to NEVER follow that treatment plan. He said that if my Endocrinologist ever recommends it (that is yet to be determined), I should seek another opinion from his wife's new doctor.
I consider it serendipitous that I ran into Guy 2. Or the hand of God. I haven't seen Guy 2 for five years. I already told you the limited number of reasons he could be here. I am grateful I ran into Guy 2 and he shared his story. I'm tired of hearing, "My cousin's best friend's neighbor's boyfriend's uncle's co-worker's wife's sister had thyroid cancer five years ago. Or, was it ten? She's fine. Yeah. They just took out her thyroid and she took the iodine. She just takes hormone replacement now. Good as new. Uh huh." Never mind the pain from surgery. The complete lack of energy. The depression. The loss of reproductive years. No biggie.
Guy 2 still says his wife will be fine. But, he doesn't say the word 'fine' with a dismissive tone. He says 'fine' in the sense that she will live. That is not to be taken for granted. It is something to celebrate. But, let's not treat what she's endured as simple as the common cold.
4.03.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Oh, sweetie. It seems as if your thryoid cancer has sent you into yet another lonely world where nobody understands and where people dismiss your pain. I hate that for you, but yet I'm so glad that you ran in to Guy 2. It seems he might haver served much the same function for you that the DBMs do - he was able to relate to you, validate your journey and your fears. . .
I, too - with no medical background whatsoever! - hope and pray and *believe* that you will be "fine." But I know its a heck of a road to get there.
((Hugs)) honey.
I pray that this is the last we see of your cancer! That the surgery got rid of the nasty bugger for good and we never have to worry about it again!
I cant imagine how your friend and his wife feel. I resent been misdiagnosed and undiagnosed with PCOS for the first 9 years of my marriage when we were desperately trying to have children. I would like to smack the doctors who said "yep, nothing wrong, just relax." I can imagine they are ticked. Especially when the iodine was touted as a cure all.
de-lurking again to agree completely about radioactive iodine treatment for thyroid cancer. I replied on your post about thyroid cancer(my 15 year old was dx in January and had a total thyroidectomy on March 2nd). The Endocrinologist told me that studies have shown the radioactive iodine can also lead to an increased risk of stomach cancer in 10-20 years. I would never recommend anyone going that route. I think they are just now seeing the effects of that being the treatment of choice for so many years. I will pray for you that you continue to heal without problems. I know my daughter struggled to get through each day with mind numbing fatigue. She did say it started to get better last week although kids do tend to recover faster. I was wondering if I could ask you some questions about what you are experiencing now? I am trying to understand what my daughter is going through so I can better meet her needs but she is pretty stoic about it. I wish you the best of luck in your recovery.
I'm sorry. I don't really even know what to say. Just, I'm sorry.
And, thankful you ran into your friends, especially if it brings you the smallest bit of relief/hope/options to consider.
You know I'm here, thinking of you and praying for you.
Post a Comment