2.04.2010
SIDS and Antidepressants
New research concerning the cause of SIDS was released this week and the findings reveal that Serotonin may play a large role. I am not a medical professional so this question that nags at me since reading the study may seem idiotic. I wonder if maternal antidepressants could contribute to the Serotonin issue for the baby. I've been taking Zoloft for nearly eight years -- through three pregnancies, one resulting in stillbirth. What are your thoughts? Could antidepressants play a role in SIDS and stillbirth?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
Interesting food for thought, OM. I've read about antidepressants causing harm during breast-feeding, but I've never read anything regarding Serotonin use during pregnancy.
Catching up on your last post...SO sorry to hear of DH's job loss. And sorry for the other hurts you're dealing with too. Hugs!
hey, the quest to answering the reason why... it pulls me into the pit most often. But it is high time that more resources and time is spent trying to find a way to avoid anything that could contribute to the death of a child.
But the politics of the pharma industry and how we "pop" pills trusting an industry that is driven as much/if not more by profit as/than the desire to help and heal... those things spring to mind when I read what you posted.
Thanks for posting on my blog alerting me to the fact that my link wasn't working (anymore?)
(could you possibly change the settings on your comment section? I can only comment as a google blogger or open ID which links always only to the old blog :-/)
love to you and a big hug
xxoo
I dont know but I can ask Peter to look into it...
Hmmm, I wonder about this one too (I take the same medication). Sadly all my neuroscience was studied far too long ago to be applicable today, these things change so fast.
I think that probably a lot of medications aren't tested in pregnancy or on young children because it would be unethical to do so but the resulting situation is that we just don't know I suppose?
I know that my own doctor told me that it was safe to take whilst breast feeding but he would prefer me to step down my dose if I fell pregnant again but only if I didn't feel that I needed it.
I did find a study linking SSRIs with a tiny increase in the risk of heart defects but I just don't know enough about it to come to any informed conclusion http://www.nhs.uk/news/2009/09September/Pages/Antidepressants-and-pregnancy.aspx
Oh OM, I just don't know. I'm trying to reconcile myself to the fact that I'll never know why she died. x
Hello, my dear friend. I was up at Faiths Lodge this past week and thought of you often. The Lodge keeper, Evelyn as just sharing with me that a link had been found between the babies that die from SIDS and their having very low levels of serotonin. . .maybe I didn't understand. I didn't read the article myself but anyway, if u were on an antidepressant raising the levels of serotnin, wouldn't that help? Anyway, your cry out for Faith's Lodge fundraising reminded me that we needed to go and it was such a blessing. Just the DH and myself went. Not enought time to work through so much. It was hard work. I would love to met p together IRL next time I am that far north. So sorry to hear about ur DH's job. I actually deactivated my facebook account because it is dumb and a waste of my time and people are stupid. I love what u wrote. You always make me smile. Sending u my love and encouragement. renner's momma-ruth
Ruth, that makes sense about the Serotonin. But I'm still searching for why E died and not wanting to put another baby at risk.
I am so glad you went to Faith's Lodge. We still haven't applied to go as a family. What was the focus of your time there? Was it for families with other children or a more generic infant loss? I know they try to spare others' feelings when they can, for example by not mixing young children with couples who have no surviving children.
Peace, my friends.
Just wanted you to know I'm thinking about you. . .
((Hugs))
I've seen that research and it scares me. I have also been on Zoloft for a long time - and I credit it with keeping me sane and alive. I can't begin to explain how depressed I was before I started taking it. "Depression" is not strong enough a word. My two living children are fine, so far as I can tell, and Ben died because of a cord accident--that's all I can say. I just don't know, but I certainly understand your fears.
Thinking of you... missing you... hoping you post again soon...
I've only heard some talk about a link to blood clotting if mum is on an antidepressant. But it was unverified, anecdotal talk at a support group. Someone told a bereaved mum but the someone wasn't a medical professional if you know what I mean. It's awful not to know why our babies died - with our George their best guess is cord compression. I of course have walked my way through the whole pregnancy double-guessing my every move. I don't know. It's all so unfair. And I met a healthy beautiful baby being fostered by a gran here because he was born to a crack addict and seized the day of his birth.
Post a Comment