Thank you to Michele for prompting me to write again.
I need prayers, hope, you name it. Many of you know my husband lost his job right before the New Year. We both try to remain positive and focus on the fact that his boss was horribly abusive and that in the long-run, we'll be in a better place. We're grateful for all that we have and for the hope of a happy future. We feel guilty for ruminating over our financial woes, knowing we have beautiful children and a mostly happy household.
But.
To lay out on the line, here's reality:
My husband was a shareholder in his former company. For over a year, my husband and the Owner discussed valuing his shares for a buyout so that my husband could leave the company. After all, the only reason my husband agreed to work for his former friend/Owner was because the commitment was finite with a buyout after five years. The employment ended. The buyout never happened.
My husband was paid horribly, but he stayed with the company because of the buyout. Now, we're stuck with zero savings, a lot of debt, and as of today, no health insurance. We couldn't make the COBRA payment in time and the former employer won't extend the deadline.
We paid our lawyer a retainer (all of our savings). The lawyer was very eager to take the case, but since doing so, we've rarely heard from him. The excitement is gone now that he has our money. The Owner's lawyers do not respond to our lawyer. Our lawyer said he'd file suit if we didn't hear from the Owner's side. That was over a month ago. No suit has been filed. (This is our second lawyer because the first did even less than this one).
So here we sit. No health insurance. No savings. No consistent income (my husband does consulting work and is trying to expand his business). Kids who need food and clothing. Tuition to be paid. Kids who need sports/activities/tutoring for which we cannot pay. Pets who need vaccinations. A van that needs repairs (our only vehicle). House payments. Bills. Bills. Bills.
I want to cry out on Facebook or IRL and plead for help in the form of prayers, hope, you name it. But they won't get it. Whose baby dies, gets cancer, and has no income? I suppose a lot of people, right? It just doesn't feel like it when it's your life.
4.26.2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
I had no idea. I am so unbelievably sorry. And don't feel guilty about financial woes, they are HORRIBLE. I have been there so have an inkling of what this is like for you. In addition to everything else you have suffered, it's just wrong. xoxo
urgh! I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. I don't pray, but I can hold some hope for you...seems not much of an offer, but it's there. x
I wish I could offer more than love, but of that you have a lot. Praying for and with you. xo
Oh honey... Gosh... I dont even have words. Except to say that I am saying a prayer for you right now and thinking of you, and holding you close to my heart. This is unfair(I know, I dont need to tell you that). I am here, if you ever need to talk.
Lawyers are required to provide an accounting of where your retainer is being spent. If you don't have one, threaten to report them to the state Bar. If you do have one it better reflect work being done and you should have some sort of status updates from them.
I can't remember what state you are in but check with them for medical insurance/coverage for people in your situation. Speak with your docs too, maybe they will continue to see you and make arrangements with you to pay over time. They may even charge you less.
And keep writing. Don't keep this stuff bottled up. There are so many here who will listen.
xxoo
One of these days I'm going to just get in my car and drive the 6 hours north and give you a big hug in person. That's a lot to deal with OM. Prayers and good vibes sent your way.
Oh OM. I was just thinking of you the other day and wondering how things were.
I'm so sorry. What an awful situation. I hope that k@lakly's advice can help with pinning your lawyer down as to precisely what he has done with your retainer.
Sending all the hope and prayers I can muster. It's just terribly, horribly unfair. xo
Oh my. OM, I'm so sorry. This is awful and so much to deal with all at once. I wish we lived close enough that I could do something useful like bring over dinner for your family and sit and have tears over tea with you. I'm furious for you and your husband at this work situation and hope it gets sorted out fairly. And your health - I'm so sorry. Praying for you. Please keep us posted. xo from Canada
Post a Comment