1.31.2010

Filter

Things I'd like to say out loud (or on Facebook), but I stop myself because of fleeting moments of sanity:

Random Facebook friends -- Are you seriously that shallow? Do you not realize that many of us live without an income right now? Why don't you stop for two seconds and think about that before posting your ridiculous photos from your stupid vacation to some tacky island resort?

Mother-in-law -- despite what your Facebook info page says, my daughter was not born 'sleeping' (your quotation marks, not mine). She was born dead. And you spelled her name incorrectly. Mentioning E on Facebook just doesn't cut it. Try saying her name out loud. To her parents. Just once.

Well-meaning people who call all dead babies 'angels' -- My daughter is not some cute little Precious Moments figurine dancing around in fluffy clouds. She is a human being. By calling her an angel, you are dehumanizing her and infuriating me.

Anybody who asks how far along I was when I lost E -- Your question is stupid. When I tell you that I was six months along and you respond by telling me all about somebody else you know who was FULL TERM when she lost her baby, I mentally check you off my list of decent people.


That's all for today. And, yes. My husband lost his job the week of New Year's.


10 comments:

Catherine W said...

I sometimes wonder if one day I will be horribly drunk in charge of a keyboard one evening and type my true feelings as my status.

I'm sorry about your MIL. The incorrect spelling, the not saying her name, the whole deal.

Perhaps people do call dead babies 'angels' in order to distance themselves. I find it strange too, my G was the most 'human' human I've ever seen somehow. She certainly didn't look like most people's idea of an angel, only mine maybe.

And the whole allocation of how much grief you can have by how far along you were in a pregnancy. That really stings. Sometimes people don't do that to me because of J, others over emphasize how very short my pregnancy was, how lucky I am to have J. Feels like they are implying that I shouldn't grieve for my other daughter.

I'm terribly sorry to hear that your husband lost his job. Thinking of you and your family. xo

Shanti Mama said...

I'm along with Catherine... one bender and I start typing and *poof* everyone will de-Face me (boo hoo).

Oh, the inlaws. That is all I have to say.

The angel thing get me too.

Michele said...

Thank you. Thank you. And Thank You again. I wish I could say quite those things to quite a number of folks. The whole angel thing kills me the most, although misspelling a child's name would piss me off to no end. And yes, SAY their names! They were our babies for godssake, not some sort of disease that should never be uttered around decent people.

Sending hugs...

forward tumble said...

Thank you for saying it out loud what so many of us, I feel. It's particularly nice after a hard days work navigating the new life none of wanted.

I'm going to bed

love to you

xxx Ines

Jen L said...

I am sorry about it all. Some days I so wish I could write what I feel and mostly tell my entire family some not so nice but very true things. Then I come to my senses and decide to play nice. But deep down I so want to just let loose and say it all!
I'm really sorry about your husband losing his job. I can only imagine how difficult things are. Keep your chin up...

still life angie said...

Amen, sister. To all of it. And just so sorry to hear about your husband...so very unfair and cruel. Sending you much strength and love, my friend. XO

Never forgetting Gregory said...

I agree with all of this. I'm sorry your hubby lost his job. That is just no good. I often get the same when people ask me how far along I was when I lost my baby. Yuck. I wish I could say what I want to say on FB also. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

I read this post and went away again because I just don't know what to say. I'm just so bloody sorry, about all of it. xxxx

Brenna said...

I'm sorry, OM. I'd like to be there to give you a BIG squeeze. As it is, I'm holding you and your family in my thoughts & prayers.

xxoo
B

Bluebird said...

I'm so sorry honey. For everything.