I've struggled with writing this post, so much so that I think I've written and deleted about three different versions. I wanted to say something very meaningful regarding the most recent revelation of abuses by priests in Ireland, but nothing sounds right. I mean, I'm Catholic and I do attend mass at least once a week. My children go to Catholic school. So did I. So did my mom and her many siblings. I think you get the idea. I'm Catholic.
I don't know everything there is to know about Catholic teachings. I'm at a loss trying to adequately describe what Orders are, what the difference is between a monk and a brother, or precisely what to do in Confessional (beyond the obvious list of sins). Yet, the Church is important to me. For me, the rituals the Catholic church provides connect me to God in a way I cannot describe.
Few people in my family feel the same way about the Church as I do. My brother is most likely an atheist, although he hasn't come right out and said it. My divorced mother harbors much resentment toward the church, some of it quite understandable and some of it resulting from her antiquated pre-Vatican II snapshot of the Church from her childhood. My father-in-law (who was my mother's classmate throughout the majority of their Catholic education) thinks Jesus Christ is not so much a person; but, rather an exclamation or even an adjective (i.e., when he hits his thumb with a hammer: "JC!" or when expressing frustration with inflation: "That J. effing C. gas bill is ridiculous!"). Most of my in laws eye us suspiciously when we opt to attend Mass on Christmas Eve while they go to an uncle's bar and drink all night. We hear things like, "J.C., why do you have to make those kids go to Mass? It's Christmas for crying out loud!" At one point in our marriage, my in laws inferred that my husband and I were destined to create our own Ruby Ridge. Because we're just that fanatical. After all, we go to mass.
After undergrad, I completed a Master's of Science in Mental Health Counseling. I mainly worked with sex offenders, more specifically adolescent male sexual perpetrators. Listening to their stories of both being a victim and a perpetrator, left me with night terrors and initially a desire to help them. Without going into detail, my desire to help eventually transformed into a desire to lock them up, keeping them isolated from children and women. That's the short version of 'how-I-saw-the-light-and-became-a-lawyer.'
I detest rapists, with or without a collar. The fact that a blind eye has been turned again and again in cases of abuses by priests, not only concerns me as a Catholic, but it sickens me. That is not why I am Catholic. That is not why I attend mass. That is not what I see when I kneel at the altar.
But.
I know that an inordinate number of people have been hurt by priests. I do not deny that. I wish and I pray that the Church I hold so dear wasn't a source of pain for so many innocent people. But it is.
I support victims. I support lawsuits. I support the ex-communication of priests, deacons, bishops, and all those who were and are in collusion with perpetrators. I support locking rapist priests up, away from children. Away from the Church.
12.02.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Like you:" I'm Catholic and I do attend mass at least once a week. My children go to Catholic school. So did I. So did my mom and her many siblings. I think you get the idea. I'm Catholic."
BUT
my aunt was horribly abused by a Catholic priest in Ireland and my grandmother colluded with the Church in covering it up because she "didn't want to embarrass the Church." She died earlier this year and I can't forgive her. You know why? because 6 years ago my darling , beautiful aunt killed herself, and a large part of the cause was the damage done to her as a child.
In addition, a Catholic school I worked at in the UK saw our school priest arrested, charged and jailed for the largest collection of child porn in the UK.
So like you I support locking them away in a deep dark dungeon. Preferably forever. But just because people are bad does not mean God is. And that's what i believe.
My apologies, I had no idea your post would generate such a response from me. xx
Yes, this is a difficult one. How confusing and conflicting to have something that is so comforting cause so much pain for another.
PS Not the point, but I couldn't help but giggle at the description of your family. I think we may be related to some of the same people.
I'm a devout Catholic. We go to Mass and follow Church teachings. I even cover my head. We plan to homeschool but if we dont, our kids will go to Catholic school.
And this shit- because that is what it is- sickens me. It makes me feel dirty and want a shower.
I'm a survivor of sexual assault (not by a priest) and the idea that someone, like a priest, who is a father figure and a person in authority, could abuse the trust and respect placed on him... It makes my skin crawl. These men should be defrocked and locked away from humanity. Let God forgive them while the rest of the world is safe.
Pedophilia is not only a crime, it is an illness and, like AIDS, it cant be cured. I have no doubt that there are some people who have such strong wills that they can "fight" their urges, but it doesnt mean those urges dont exist.
I am so heartbroken and angered by all this. I remember when the American scandal broke, talking to a dear priest who was also our friend. He said to me that it was the first time he ever considered hiding his collar in public. That it hurt him so much that people thought twice when they looked at him. He wasnt just a man of God, he was also, possibly, one of "them".
I'm going to break my own internet rules here and post a comment about religion.
I'm not Catholic but was raised in an Anglican/Presbyterian family. I probably don't fully understand the issues you are discussing here and I don't pretend to. But I can iamgine it must be very painful to see an organisation so dear to your heart and one that brings such light and comfort to this world, torn apart by these terrible revelations.
You are a very brave and compassionate woman to do the work you did with those young men. To even put contemplate putting yourself in that position must take a lot of courage, more than I will ever have.
I can't help but think that, for every priest that has abused the trust placed in him by the church, there are others. People like you, people like Seraphim, people like Michelle, who will show people what the Catholic church really means. xo
Sera, I am so sorry about your aunt. I just learned of this the other day when reading your blog. I need to get back to your blog and comment. It sounds like you take good care of your little cousin.
Catherine, I was wondering if you were going to 'come out'. :)
Shanti, it is confusing. And heartbreaking.
Michelle (and everyone), I don't trust anybody with my kids. Probably not the best way to live, but I worry so much.
Post a Comment