11.15.2009

Time of Your Life

Friday night my husband and I were able to get away for a bit and enjoy tapas, wine, and music. My husband is dealing with some very difficult times at work and we did our best to enjoy our time together. As we sat and talked, the live music played in the background without too much notice by us. But then, there was the song. I hadn't thought about the song for years. Years ago, the song was touching and endearing to me. But Friday night I realized just how fitting the song is in our lives and probably many of your lives today. As the singer performed the song, I grew silent and quietly emotional. My husband simply looked at me and said, "I know."

The song is Good Riddance by Green Day. You might remember it from the show ER as it became the theme song for a boy who died of cancer.




Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road
Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go
So make the best of this test, and don't ask why
It's not a question, but a lesson learned in time

It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right
I hope you had the time of your life

So take the photographs, and still frames in your mind
Hang it on a shelf in good health and good time
Tattoos of memories and dead skin on trial
For what it's worth it was worth all the while

It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right
I hope you had the time of your life

It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right
I hope you had the time of your life

It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right
I hope you had the time of your life

7 comments:

Bluebird said...

Ah yes. That song has seemed fitting for several points in my life. And I suppose now is another such point.

Despite that, I'm just so glad that you two were able to get out for such a fun evening with my three favorite things. My DH doesn't do tapas - he's such a meat a potato guy :)

(And yes, up late working again!)

Sophie said...

I've had this song in my head all day since reading your post.

forward tumble said...

I didn't know this song, it is really good, thank you for sharing. And i'm glad you two had a bit of away time ,though it all seems to catch up with you/us/one with wherever you go. It's just weaved into the fabric of our life and in following that thought through, I suppose I'm trying to live with the new pattern and try to see some beauty in it all.

xxoo Ines

Jen L said...

I always liked that song. It kind of makes ya think. Thanks for posting. Glad you guys got out.

Michele said...

love that song...

Bluebird said...

Hope you had a good holiday, honey. Been thinking of you. . .

Catherine W said...

I love that song. My husband and I had it played at our wedding. More fitting than we knew at the time.

Love tapas! Yum yum. Hope you and your husband managed to relax a little and that his troubles at work are easing. xo