When we chose to bury E, we of course never before considered where we would bury one of our children. Fortunately in our country, contemplating whether to or where to bury a child is not a commonly faced decision. The few of us who do face that decision likely do so with much trepidation and complete unpreparedness. Worse yet, I know a dear friend whose choice regarding the care for her child's remains was completely stolen from her when hospital staff denied her the opportunity to hold or even see her baby. As I write this, I think of all of us who have made decisions for the care of our children. But I especially think of and hold in my heart those of us who were denied that opportunity.
Winter was just starting to make its presence known when my husband, myself, and our three living children walked the cemetery one year ago, searching for the best spot for E. The cold wind blew, snow flurries cluttered the sky, and darkness started to close in on us. We looked at the 'baby area' in what was now our cemetery and we realized we wanted more for E. The tiny grave markers, flat to the earth in order to allow for easy mowing and snow removal. The solitary stones marking individual graves, for babies. It just seemed so lonely. I didn't want my baby alone. But I also knew that what we would bury was merely a representation of E. It wasn't her. She was already with God. The location of her remains, while certainly could serve as a way to honor E, is not the essence of E's being.
That day in the cemetery, we ended up making the least permanent of choices for E's remains. After at least an hour of mentally and physically going back and forth between the option of purchasing a family plot (which we could not afford), an individual plot outside of the baby area (which included the option for an actual headstone, not permitted in the baby area), or burying E in the baby area where only flat grave markers are allowed, the cemetery caretaker finally gave us an idea we wished he had shared with us at the very beginning of our cold cemetery walk. We could buy an additional burial 'container' that would allow us to bury E in the baby area, yet be able to move E to a family plot chosen on a later date.
E's grave in the baby area is unmarked. When we searched the baby area and saw that some of the older graves were marked with headstones and not just flat markers, we inquired about burying E in one of the presumably vacant plots. The caretaker looked up the plot records and discovered the plots were not vacant, just unmarked. I was saddened that a child was buried more than fifty years ago and the grave remained unmarked. I could never allow that. Yet, here we sit a year after our cold cemetery walk and E's grave is still unmarked. Marking that plot seems so permanent, yet we still cannot afford to move her remains to a family plot. I don't know if I fear marking that spot because it would become an excuse to leave E's remains there and never move to a family plot or if it's because marking the grave puts one more stamp of finality to her life. Even a year out I still walk the halls of denial, hoping to find E alive and well around the corner.
This year, I bought a small tree and solar powered Christmas lights with the intention of decorating E's grave. I had visions of making little ornaments with her name on them, along with notes from her siblings. The tree and the lights sit in my van, perhaps waiting for the day I finally muster the strength to make that turn into the cemetery. I understand why even after fifty years, those presumably vacant plots remain bare.
12.12.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


14 comments:
One more time without typos.
Perhaps it is because I am still pacing the corridors of denial with you OM but I think I understand.
I would also have been terribly sad, initially, to have seen those unmarked graves. But now, a little further on, I can understand some of that reluctance to mark those places. It does seem awfully final somehow.
I'm so very sorry to hear that your friend did not have the chance to see her baby and that the opportunity to care for her son or daughter's remains was taken away from her.
Thinking of you and E xo
OM - I understand exactly what you mean. Burying my baby was so final, it's still a shock for me to visit her grave and see her name on her headstone. "decorating" her grave at holidays is just awful. I'm sorry we are not holding our babies right now. xxoo
Kara's mom, I can't access your profile or your blog. Can you email me with it? I appreciate your comments and I'd like to return the support.
Peace.
I sometimes think that no matter what we choose, it will never feel as though it was enough.
xxoo
I get it, I do, even though we do have a headstone for our daughter. In our case it was because my Mother could never face getting a headstone for my Dad (he died very young, and left her a widow at only 35) I insisted on ordering one for our baby before the funeral.
As the previous commentator has said though, whatever we do is never enough.
So sorry your friend had no choices in caring for her child, that's heartbreaking.
I can understand the idea of finality. I often wonder if the reason I wanted cremation so much was that I could have them with me and not have to "accept" that their remains were elsewhere. I realize, of course, that they are not their remains, but I do think it was partly a denial that I would be "away" from them.
Sending hugs. Big hugs.
Hi OM, just wanted to say thank you for your comment on my blog, appreciate very much so
Oh big hugs OM. Strangely, I just got a mailing from the Catholic cemeteries (yes the send out mail)and they had a section about burying babies. I sobbed. So many what ifs. Many, many hugs.
I just wanted to say that I am thinking of you and that I hate that you have to even think about these things. How I wish things were different for us all.
Sending love...
I always feel inadequate reading about burials or remains because we have none (our hospital told us that there wouldn't be enough from the cremation of our boys to save...which I now believe was false, because I've met women whose children were born at the same gestation as our three who have their ashes--and that's from one child, not three!). But that aside, I just wanted to say that I'm thinking about you and E and your family, and sending my love.
~B
We didn't have a burial either, but I very much understand the emotions about which you write. One of the reasons we don't is because I just couldn't handle the deicisions at the time - We live in a city that is not my "home," and I really couldn't tell you where B and I might be buried what will hopefully a long time from now. . . how was I supposed to pick out something so permanent for our babies? I understand what you're saying about the headstone. . .
That said, I'll also say that we take great comfort from visiting and "decorating" their trees. When we were at the park yesterday we noticed a few other trees around us that had Christmas bows, too. I remarked that I liked our bows better ;) B just put his arm around me, while gazing at our bows/trees, and said "they sure are loved." It's nice to be able to do something that shows that. If you end up deciding to decorate E's grave, I hope it brings you peace, too.
((Hugs))
What a moving post. I'm glad that you're being gentle with yourself and are allowing yourself to move gradually with things.
My heart aches for the mother who didn't have any time with her baby or choice in what was done with the remains. I feel for you with the unmarked grave; we were moving just weeks after our baby was stillborn and so we opted for cremation after the funeral Mass. We didn't want to bury him if we didn't know where we were going to be. And now, nearly seven months later, we still haven't found an urn. It's all terrible, having to consider these things for a child. Thinking of you. I wonder if the unmarked graves were because of financial reasons? The funeral business is so expensive.
Post a Comment