Last night, our Compassionate Friends group finally met for our monthly meeting. We had to reschedule to this week from last due to a horrible blizzard last week. I want to start out by saying the craft went wonderfully. I was quite nervous about it because I wasn't sure how much instruction people expected and I didn't have a formal presentation or any sort of moving story to complement the craft. But I think it was meant to be. Allowing for an open interpretation of what the craft meant to the individual was met with enthusiasm.
Typically our group meets in a conference room at a church. But the December meeting includes more of an open social hour in addition to the regular meeting, so we met in the basement of the church. We pulled together several round tables and went about our regular meeting format. Then we broke into the plethora of treats, coffee, and juice. And we crafted our felt ornaments.
My craft partner and I chose an empty round table to circularly display about ten different felt colors, thirty different embroidery floss colors, eight different ribbon colors, many needles, many scissors, and about a dozen templates. I gave a brief introduction about how each person can add their own symbolism to her craft by choosing a template, felt colors, and thread colors that are individually meaningful versus trying to create something just like the examples we provided.
The variety of ornaments was outstanding. One couple created an ice skate ornament because their happy memories include watching their son play hockey. One dad created his own dog template because weeks before his twenty something daughter died of adrenal cancer, she acquired her dream dog -- a huge Newfoundland, which the parents inherited. No ornament looked exactly like any other, even if the same template was used. Each one was uniquely beautiful.
When my craft partner gave me credit for the felt ornament idea, I smiled and said, "Well, sort of. A lot of friends helped me out." I felt as if each one of you was in the room, contributing to the beauty piece by piece. Thank you.
12.16.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
Wonderful. I am so glad that this went so well.
What a nice idea and I'm so glad it went well. Lovely. (((Hugs))) to you from rainy [yay - we had a few centimetres of snow and it's melting!!!!] British Columbia.
Yes, Wonderful! is my reaction to this post! Sounds like it went off perfectly. Pity you didn't take pics of the felt decorations. It has piqued my interest!
xx
I know. I thought about pictures but because each ornament was so personal, I didn't want to violate privacy (even if they didn't know). I'll try to give you a mental picture though. Pink butterflies with fuscia blanket stitch. A pink angel. A pink heart with a fuscia star stitched to it. The ice skate included laces. A snowflake with a baby's name embroidered onto it. A christmas tree with cutout ornaments stitched onto it. Lots and lots of love put into each one. :)
Sounds great. Craft calms the soul, and it sounds like your craft night was a great success.
It sounds just lovely. Like Sophie I would have liked to have seen them but I completely understand why it felt too personal to do so. I'm happy imaginging. They all sound so beautiful and made with so much love. xo
awesome! I am so glad it all worked out!!
Post a Comment