12.09.2009

Bullies

Yesterday I emailed back and forth with another babylost mama who feels shunned and at times attacked by other blogging babylost mamas. Our discussion led me to think about bullies. While the majority of this community is incredibly supportive, there are some among us who quite simply fit the definition of bullies. When I first started blogging just weeks after E died, I encountered my first bully within the community of babylost mamas. For nearly a year now, I've yet to mention on my blog the encounter and my awareness that my words were copied and pasted onto another babylost mama's blog. My opinions, my intelligence, and my specific personal beliefs were criticized, ridiculed, and dismissed. Even now, my heart beats faster, my mind races, and my hair stands on end as I write about what I can only describe as a bully attack.

I know we don't all agree on everything. We share different beliefs, religions, perspectives, and personalities. Really, our differences are practically endless. And I know we each are entitled to our individual opinions which we hopefully can freely express without fear of ridicule akin to that which occurs in a junior high locker room. But when we specifically pick on an individual, when we attack that fellow human's intelligence and dignity, that is unacceptable. When we sink so low that we feel it is our right to 'expose' what we perceive as other babylost mamas' stupidity, our community slowly becomes a landmine preventing babylost mamas the opportunity to fully express and relieve themselves of their personal pain.

9 comments:

Michele said...

I cannot imagine someone bullying another mom in our community. Just reading that makes me feel sick. I mean, we should be supporting each other, not making pain worse. I have gotten a few smart ass comments to some of my posts but thankfully, havent had to deal with nasty or bullying comments. I am so sorry! That is the LAST thing that should happen to you or anyone else!

T said...

Unacceptable behavior. Truly. I mean what's the point of inflicting more pain on a grieving mother. I'm sorry it happened to you, and to others in the community.

Sophie said...

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this crap. The only bully I have dealt with on my blog is my father so it's not at all the same. I wish you'd tell me who it is so that I can give them a piece of my mind or at least know to avoid them.

Jen L said...

I hate bullying! It's awful. I'm sorry that someone felt they could do that to you and get away with it! Shame on them!

Sara said...

That's awful!

Still here, checking up on you OM. Still thinking about and praying for you...

:)

Jeanette said...

I'm so glad I haven't come across this, I'm so sorry you have.

Lesley said...

I am so sorry this happened to you and to her. I can not believe some of the things we babylost mamas have to deal with- I would hope that those of us on this journey would have enough respect for each other to support one another- regardless of beliefs or anything else.
hugs!

k@lakly said...

WOW. I haven't had that at all. But I have been pretty low key and stay mostly within a group of women I 'know' pretty well by now. I can't imagine someone doing that to you. I know there are some 'posers' out there, people who fake being a db mom for some sicko reason or another maybe that is who pulled the bullshit on you. But whoever did it should be deeply ashamed. There is just no reason for it. Ever.

I hope you never encounter it again. This should be your safe place. You're entitled to it.
xxoo

Karen said...

Oh. My. I can't imagine. If someone attacked me - and maybe they have and I'm oblivious - I'd have curled up and died during the first few terrible months. Makes me think of Bambi: "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." Great post. I'm so sorry that you and this other babylost mum have encountered bullying. It makes me feel sick. Hope the bullies listen.