I've been taking Ambien for about a month now due to ongoing insomnia. While I love that Ambien allows me to fall asleep quickly, I'm not sure it's entirely healthy. Last weekend, I ran out of Ambien and was unable to get a refill. I took Tylenol PM one night, which was completely ineffective. The next night, per the pharmacist's advice, I took Leader brand sleep aid. I did get a bit more sleep than I did with Tylenol PM, but I had such horrible vertigo the next day that my mom had to come help me as I stayed in bed all day. That evening, I took my newly refilled prescription of Ambien and slept very well with no side effects the next day. But, for the last couple days I've felt as if I hit a wall just a few hours into the day. It's a lot like I felt in the days immediately following surgery in March. I feel a wave of exhaustion come over me, mainly between my eyes with the rest of my body soon following. I called my Endocrinologist today to request a blood test because I question whether my TSH is improving at all given this apparent setback or if it's related to something else, like the Ambien.
Another 'problem' I've found with Ambien is memory loss. So far, I've actually found it quite amusing. It's sort of like a 'drunk dial' as I discover the morning after that I've written on various people's Facebook walls or my husband relates a detailed conversation of which I have no memory or else it's sort of like I remember, but it's more like recalling a dream. Fortunately, thus far I've been kind in my Facebook posts. And my husband says I'm very sweet during my Ambien cloud.
::: ::: ::: :::
Call for Creative Help
At my Compassionate Friends meeting this week, I learned the December meeting traditionally involves a group craft in addition to the regular meeting. Myself and two other baby loss moms (one baby stillborn/one baby SIDS) volunteered to lead the craft. While December obviously includes Christmas and I know there are quite a few Christians in our group, I expressed my concern that I'd like to design a craft that doesn't exclude non-Christians. So I'd like to skip anything overtly 'Christmas-y'. I also don't want a craft that is 'cutesy.' Plus, the craft must be something that all skill levels can comfortably complete. And of course I want the craft to actually symbolize something about each person's child or each person's love for that child. But I don't want to require the child's picture for the craft. Well . . . coming up with the 'perfect' craft is easier said than done. If each of you could leave a comment with an idea for a craft, I'd be forever grateful. :)
11.13.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


18 comments:
AMbien is very addictive, that's why you didn't sleep well with Tylenol PM. My Dr. switched me from AMbien to Trazadone, which is non-habit forming and is much milder. I had to wean off the AMbien to get on the Trazadone, but it works like a charm and I don't hit that wall during the middle of the day. Good Luck!
sorry you are having the Ambian hangover (memory loss, hitting the wall- the drunken daze- been there!)! I had that too. Lunesta was ok for a while- but I started sleep walking and seeing/hearing things that weren't real! hang in there kiddo. You might want to ask your doc about trazodone, it is an old school anti depressant- works great for sleep, also allows you to get up in the middle of the night (to take care of the kiddos) without stumbling.
as for a craft- I suggest something dealing with names, maybe snowflakes? very personal, not too cutesie, not religious, but very meaningful, find a poem about snowflakes and how each are different, how each one impacts the world in some small way. It could be something small, that could be made to hang on their tree, or something larger to put in their home. hope that helps!
Sorry about the Ambien problems... I've never taken it - but I've had friends with similar experiences.
I like Lesley's snowflake idea. It fits with December without being about christmas.
I like the snowflake idea too. Snowflakes are unique too - just like all little ones.
But I *love* my Ambien. Pout. I've tried Trazadone and I really don't like it, particularly the sinus trouble it caused me. And it didn't put me to sleep.
Thank you for the craft ideas thus far. I love the snowflake idea. Please keep the ideas coming in case my co-creators are picky. :)
I'm a beader. I'd suggest beading bracelets. They don't have to be for the person making it, they can be gifted. Stringing beads with a group of people is very soothing... it keeps your hands busy and allows easy talking.
I managed a bead shop for eight years or so before I had kids. Let me know if you want more info. You could make earrings, bracelets, necklaces... suncatchers... christmas decorations... list is endless.
Sorry you're not sleeping well. Hope you feel rested soon.
xx
Oh man. I am *so* not crafty/creative. I admire you for trying!!! The only things that come to my mind are def. obviously Christmas-y (i.e. an ornament).
Hope you figure our the sleep thing soon - although I did laugh about your sweetness during your Ambien haze! I took it for a while after losing our twins. It was fab, I'll admit :) I was scared to take it too regularly since I had to eventually go back to work (lucky for me I also had painkillers right off the bat, ha), and so would cut them in half, then eventually smaller and smaller. . . There's nothing worse than not being able to sleep though!
I made some craft-y ornaments with felt. Blue and red felt. That are sort of scandanavian looking, but just hearts with a flower in the middle. I can send you a picture, if you want, just email me. You just need to learn a very easy blanket stitch.
I once got the rudest weirdest wall post from someone and they told me they were on Ambien and had no recollection of writing it. I actually thought it was a valid excuse having taken it once or twice.
Much love.
I hope that you find a solution to either the TSH or Ambien induced wall. It sounds horrible.
And the whole memory loss thing. Glad that it has been funny rather than scary. It sounds like you only say sweet things!
I'm not much good at crafts but I'm definitely with Sophie on the beading. It is very therapeutic. The snowflakes are such a beautiful idea too, each one unique. Or friendship bracelets. My mom makes them with the kids at school using a little cardboard disc and embroidery thread. You could use metallic threads or colours related to birth stones or flowers?
OM- you can find my loss blog at
http://iheldanangel.wordpress.com/
I find it easier to leave comments from my blogger acct, it doesn't track back to my inner most feelings on my wordpress! I have heard from way too many people about the negative feed back they sometimes get!
I also have it listed on my siggy at butterfly haven.
I am not crafty at all, sorry. I have a friend who has dealt with the ambien blackouts for a while and is now on a lighter dose. She hopes to get off it all the way but it is hard after so long. I would try to get off sooner before it becomes as hard for you as it has for her. Just my assvice...but of course I suddenly could sleep after joining the club, after years of not being able to without chemical help. Weird.
I thought of this quote as a potential jumping-off point for a craft:
"Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy."
- Eskimo Proverb
My sister-in-law gave us a canvas painted with stars and that quote on it last year, and Joseph, Adam and Paul's name and birth date. It's so special to me. I'm wondering if something smaller-scale could be accomplished based around a star light theme...a punched tin lantern possibly? Or something like this: http://www.dltk-holidays.com/Xmas/3dstar.htm (a 3-d star ornament on which they could write their child's name and birthdate or a wish or something along those lines...) or this: http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/mexico/metalcutouts/
I hope it goes well!
Now that I'm having fun Googling "star crafts," I've come across the Moravian star. Might be too challenging, I don't know, but they're so pretty!
Here are a few sites with instructions for making them:
http://highhopes.com/3dstar.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_5104607_make-paper-moravian-star.html
http://www.howtomakestars.com/instructions.html
MUCH easier might be folding a "lucky star":
http://www.opane.com/luckystar.html
http://www.origami-fun.com/origami-stars.html
If you Google "origami star" you'll come up with many options.
I like the star, snowflake and heart ideas. My mom made a heart for each of us, for the Christmas tree, with our names embroidered on. Doesn't have to be too elaborate or for a Christmas tree - just a reminder to hang in a window, or on the fireplace, or wherever
Thank you for the quote and all the links, Brenna! I really love the quote too and it seems there are so many different star crafts from which to choose. Thank you to each of you for such wonderful ideas. :) Now I will have plenty of options for the other two moms.
be careful with that. I knew someone that was on it and she ended up sleepwalking into their pool and drown.
It's not "Christmas"y, but what about making a paving stone for outside? I've always wanted to do one for each of the kids.
Post a Comment