11.02.2009

Lost

Tomorrow, November 3, 2009 marks one year from E's birth. I suppose it's her birthday, after all it is the day I gave birth to her. I do feel more comfortable with 'birthday' versus 'angelversary' or some other term. (I know a lot of people do call the day of their child's passing his/her Angelversary and I respect that). I'm also not entirely comfortable with 'celebrating' E's birthday because the day doesn't represent the day she started her life outside the womb, it represents the day I had to physically let her go.

I discovered E died October 30, 2008. I had the choice to be induced that day or wait. I chose to wait, for so many reasons. The next day was Halloween and I wanted my other children to not miss out on enjoying parties, trick-or-treating, and dressing in costume because their mother was in the hospital giving birth to a sister that would not come home for them to hold in their arms. When people hear that I discovered E died on a Thursday and I wasn't induced until the next Monday, they unfailingly say, "You had to wait that long?" The thing is, I didn't have to wait that long. But with Halloween on a Friday last year, that meant the next two days were non-office days and my nurse practitioner would not be working. Plus, I didn't want to 'mess up' the weekend by spending it in the hospital away from my living children. But, the biggest reason I waited is because I just didn't want to let E go. If I didn't give birth to her, I didn't have to say goodbye. So I waited.

That Friday, Halloween, I dressed as a witch and I volunteered in my first grader's classroom at her Halloween party. That night, we trick-or-treated as a family. Saturday, my mom watched our living children while my husband and I went to pizza and a movie (I think it was The Changeling). We just sat there in the car, in the restaurant, in the theater. Numb. Sunday, we went to mass as a family. After mass, we drove aimlessly and ended up in a river town about an hour from our home. We threw rocks into the river, stopped for apples at an orchard, ate brunch, and attempted to tell our children why their parents were complete zombies. When we arrived home, a friend whose son was born still approximately a year prior was unexpectedly sitting in front of our house.

My friend took me to a coffee shop and she told me what to expect. I was afraid to give birth to a dead baby. I hate even saying or typing those words because I feel ashamed. I'm ashamed that I would fear my own baby. I am ashamed I would even call my baby 'dead baby.' The term seems disrespectful to me, as if 'dead baby' sums up my child's existence. As if the word 'dead' overshadows the word 'baby.'

When I wasn't with my husband or living children the days before E was born, I was in bed and on my computer. I had two objectives: 1. Decide upon one girl name and one boy name; 2. Familiarize myself with what a dead baby looks like. So, I researched baby names and I looked at pictures of dead babies. A lot of pictures. What kind of to-do list is that? Have you ever discovered a left-behind to-do list in your grocery cart? Imagine coming upon the things-to-do-before-giving-birth-to-my-dead-baby-list.

So, tomorrow is E's first birthday. We don't really have a plan. No party. No presents. No balloon release. I told the children I'd try to bake a cake. And we'll attend their weekly school mass. And we'll pray. I don't know what else to do.

17 comments:

Cruella said...

You are an amazing mother. It is so amazing to me how you chose to handle the situation and the gift you are giving your children. You honor her and you teach them life lessons.

Catherine W said...

Thinking of you and remembering E.

I'm so sorry OM. Even though our circumstances are different, I think I might understand that feeling of not wanting to let E go, not wanting to give birth to her. I knew that when my girls were born, they would most likely die shortly after. I just wanted to keep them for a little bit longer.

I don't think you should feel ashamed. I know I was frightened too. Anyone would be. Much love xo

T said...

I was terribly afraid as well. There is just no way to wrap your head around something so unbelievable.

I have to second Cruellas statements....Thinking of E today and wishing you much love.

still life angie said...

I was afraid to see Lucia too. I was so afraid her death would be all I saw. The weekend of E's birth sounds lovely and difficult, as though you were processing this horrible reality and appreciating every second with your babies. You are an amazing mother, OM. My thoughts and love are with you during these days. XO

forward tumble said...

Tomorrow, is today for me. So today marks E's birthday. The day you gave birth to her.

So today i will remember her, the day she existed outside you womb. She was there for a fleeting moment, not long enough. Not alive. Not right. But she was there and in remembering her today and all the other days she is still here with us. That's how i think about her and my son. Because in that way they are with us and that's all that i have to hold on to.

I wish you a good day, today, E's birthday. You are in my thoughts, too. You, E's mum, an extraordinary strong, kind mother.

I remember the horror and the fear. It was my first and only birthing experience ever. But I'm at peace for I did the best i could under the circumstances.
The word dead is a word that installs fear in all of us. At all times and when it happens before birth it's pure horror. There is no shame in death. It's the one thing I think I've learnt in all of this. Death happens, to all of us and it hurts when it's the people we have in our lives. But it will happen. No mercy.

I'm sorry I'm rambling here.

I just want you to know I care and I want to take some of the hurt away from you. If I only could.

big hug
xxx Ines

Anonymous said...

I didn't want to give birth to Maya because I knew once she was born we would have to let her go. If I could have kept her with me forever, I probably would have.

And I too was afraid to see her. But once I saw her, I don't know what I was afraid of.

What you did for E and your other children was amazing and just shows what an wonderful mother you are.

I will be thinking of you and E and your family today. I am so sorry that she isn't here with you.

Bluebird said...

Oh, man was I scared too. Terrified. Giving birth terrified me anyway :), but to babies who would not live? Too much. I begged - begged! - the doctors for a c-section. It was deemed too dangerous because my blood wasn't clotting. And, in hindsight, I'm really very glad to have not gone through that. But I was so scared.

I know you're not looking for validation, but I very much respect the way you sepnt your time after learning of E's death. As only a fellow babyloss moms can probably understand, I get it. I get wanting a few more days with her, and not wanting to rush in to it. I get wanting to preserve as much as possible for your living children. I get the shock and zombie-ness. . .

So what do you call today? I don't know. And how do you feel today? I don't know that either. "Celebrating" also doesn't make sense to me. But yet. . .

Remembering with you today, sweet friend. Definitely remembering. And missing. And longing for your beautiful daughter. And respecting her and paying tribute to her and all that she was and all that she would have been. I'm so, so sorry she isn't here with you now.

Wishing you and your family as much peace as possible and holding you in my arms from afar. ((Hugs))

Lesley said...

Thinking of you today- holding you in my prayers and in my heart.

Shanti Mama said...

Om you have been on my mind as E has. Thank you for sharing that weekend before E's birth. I think we all knew that feeling of not wanting to let go. As Cruella said, this weekend shows what an amazing mom you are. Motherhood throws so many challenges our way and some so so unexpected and unfathomable.



Thinking of you and E today and the entire weekend.

Lea said...

Remembering E with you, OM. It is truly heartbreaking. I remember feeling the same way... ashamed and not wanting to let go. I remember not wanting to push... I knew it would then be over.

Love to you

CLC said...

Remembering E with you! I am sorry.

Kara's Mom said...

Thinking of you and of E on this difficult day. Don't be ashamed - I think we all go through the fear of giving birth, of seeing him/her, of holding and letting go of our baby. I was terrified on seeing her - mortified that they took pictures. But I'm glad I held her, glad I have her beautiful photos. The scariest part is learning to live without them for the rest of our lives. WIshing you much love today and always. xxoo

Snarky Belle said...

I've thought of you and your beautiful E all day. Desperately tried to find the right words, but of course we all know there are no "right" words. I pray you may know how much you are loved and cared for. That you will see the wonderful mother you are, the wonderful friend you are as well.
I am so very sorry for your hurt and pain. You faced your circumstances with dignity, love, and grace. I admire your courage. You have blessed my life tremendously, as has E. I love you dear friend. My thoughts and prayers continue to be with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

You've been in my thoughts all day. I don't have any words, not the right ones anyway.
So I'm simply sending my love.
xxxx

Donna said...

I'm so sorry I missed leaving a comment earlier. I don't even know how you managed to make it through those days. I completely understand your choice to wait - as hard as it was for you and your family.

I agree with your dilemma about what to call the actual day of E's birth. I have similar feelings. I don't like the term "angelversary" and I really don't like "birthday" either - it is far to happy of a word for what that day means to our family. In my mind I just call it Ellie's day because that is exactly what it was.

I hope you can find some peace.

Amy said...

(((((hugs)))))
Thinking of you and baby E

Mommy (You can call me OM) said...

Cruella and Tracey,

I followed your names, but couldn't access your blogs. I just wanted to say thank you. And peace to you.