11.07.2009

Anger

Today I went to yoga for the first time in probably a month. I sometimes practice yoga at home, but I don't seem to get as much out of it as I do at class. I typically attend Power Yoga, which is really a loose description for anything a little more challenging than meditation up to Ashtanga yoga. Prior to pregnancy with E, I got into the best physical shape of my life with yoga (and Weight Watchers -- but, I don't like to say that because I just think of my aunt who has plugged away at WW for at least 2.5 decades). Anyway, my point wasn't to talk about my fitness regimen prior to E's pregnancy. My point was that when I'm able to complete an entire yoga practice without interruption or distraction, I'm able to release. Toxins. Emotions. Negative energy. I do wish I could bottle the euphoria I feel upon completing a difficult yoga practice. After all, yogis know the best practice carries over into your life off the mat. I'm not there. But I'm grateful for the fleeting moments of clarity, free flowing emotions, and serenity I feel during my time on the mat.

A few weeks ago, I was as close to committing suicide as I've probably ever been in my life. During my yoga practice, I thought about how ridiculous it is that even though surgeons removed cancer from my body last March in order to prevent that cancer from spreading and potentially taking my life, I still think about taking that life anyway. When I was in high school, my mom had cancer and she endured lots of chemo and surgery. I remember thinking that I would one day find my mother dead. Not from the cancer, but from taking her own life. Back then, I had the same thoughts about her that I now have about myself: How does it make any sense that one would fight to save one's life only to consider ending that life months later? I still don't know the answer.



Sometimes my thinking becomes so muddled and cloudy that I actually believe my children would be better off without me. (This post isn't a cry for help and you shouldn't feel that you need to hire a private eye in order to discover my identity so that you can prevent me from killing myself. I'm currently stable - in a relative sort of way). When I'm in the depths of depression and despair, I often think my living children just cannot live like this anymore. Because I'm unable to maintain focus for more than minutes (hours if I'm lucky), my husband has to help out more than he really should. Our finances are deplorable. We cannot pay our childrens' school tuition. Our phone constantly rings with bill collectors calls. I fear giving much more detail regarding our finances because I am embarrased and ashamed and I just don't know how to fix it. Except for my life insurance. There was a time when I was an organized, responsible person who actually did estate planning. Those plans were already crumbling prior to losing E and the cancer, but now the life insurance is all I have left. I know. Money doesn't solve everything. I know. My children would suffer immeasurably growing up without a mother. I know. Ending my life is not my choice to make. But is it asking too much to want to raise my living children who have already faced a lifetime of pain without having the suffocating tension of financial ruin?



Clearly, I have a lot of anger. A lot of desparation. I grasp at straws as I attempt to control just one thing in my life. People still don't understand that despite my gratefulness for a 'good' cancer, I'm so consumed and pissed off by it all. It's as if other people see E's death and the cancer as two events in my life that I simply need to 'get over.' We all know 'getting over' our babies' deaths will never happen. And the cancer . . . it's gone. But the thing is, not only do I not have a thyroid but the replacement hormone still isn't cutting it for me. It's been nearly eight months now. I take 300 mcg of Synthroid and my lowest TSH has been in the high teens, with all-time high of 78.6. (I'm sorry. I just don't have the energy to explain all this right now, but I'm sure google would be more than willing to help explain). Zero to little energy. Brittle hair, requiring me to chop off at least seven inches last week. Cracking skin. Ten extra pounds, at least. But the part that really pisses me off is that when a person's TSH is as high as mine, it's simply unsafe to even attempt pregnancy. Acheiving pregnancy with TSH this high is likely impossible, but if I were to become pregnant it's highly likely I wouldn't remain pregnant. So the choice to even try, to even desire another baby is out of my hands. That is what people don't get: Not only did my baby die, but I don't even get the chance to TRY for another baby. Not now.

14 comments:

k@lakly said...

Have you looked into at home law work, document review or special app work on the side. Might help with the income issues and it's like 'law lite' all the work none of the stress of the clients...
I'll take you at your word with the f'ed up med situation, I hate dr google, always gets me more worked up than I need to be. I hope you can figure things out with your doc(s). having 'decisions' foced upon you SUCKS.
xxoo

Laura said...

I just read in Katrina Kenison's new book something I thought was very beautiful and true..." Being alive, it seems, means learning to bear the weight of the passing of all things...it means learning to lightly hold all the moments and days and years that have already been lived and lost to memory, even as we live on knowing full well that this moment,too, is already gone. It means, always allowing for the hard truth of endings. It means, too, keeping faith in beginnings." Thinking of you....

Catherine W said...

I just don't know. I've never been through the experiences that you have but I don't think that losing a child is something you ever get over. I don't think that having cancer is something you ever get over. Life isn't as simple as that. If only it was. Experiences like those change you.

Even though we've never met I can tell how much you love your children and what a great mom you are. I don't think anything, any amount of money or perceived stability or anything, anything in this world, is more important than having you in their lives. But I know it is hard to see it that way sometimes. I've also thought that the only way to resolve this situation is to remove myself from it, that my husband and my daughter would be better off without me. And I don't know how you would begin to reconcile feeling like these with the surgery that you have undergone.

I'm so sorry about the replacement hormone. The side effects sound horrible and it is awful to have the decision of even trying for another child taken away from you. I don't know OM. I don't know what to say but sending much love. Sorry for rambling on, do tell me to go suck my nose if I've said anything ill-advised. xo

Lesley said...

I wish there was something I could do or say to take all of the hurt, pain, and anger away. I can not imagine dealing with cancer on top of everything you have been thru.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs sweetie!!

Michele said...

It takes a strong woman to lay it all out on the line and, while I know you dont think you are strong right now, you are. It's stronger to NOT take your own life. I've tried twice and some days, I have to look in the mirror and remember what it was like to be there and to step over that line and how lucky I am that I was able to step backwards. (Once, I tried overdosing and once I slit my wrists.) I can barely see the scars on my wrists but they are still clear enough that I can see what I would have lost. What others would have lost. As much as you think it might be an answer, you are brave enough to see what the future without you would hold- and that THAT future isnt less bleak... Not for your hubs and children...

Money makes things easier, but if it werent that, it would most likely be something else. This is just the easiest thing to let go of and the toughest thing to shake the consequences of (because those pesky bill collectors just wont let you...). Outside of our grief, we had a rough patch early in our marriage when P was out of work and it took us a decade to dig out of the hole. A very tiny bit at a time. And it took a lot of focus. When you can divert some of your energy there, you will. But right now,your energy has to be on yourself and your children.

TSH can make your life hell. Thankfully, I've never been above the early 30s, and now that I'm under control (which for me is less than 1), I feel better. I feel effects even when I am under 5, which is normal, so I cant imagine what it is like for you in the teens constantly. Are you taking non-generic, brand name Synthroid? That is the only thing that worked for me. The generics just made me feel worse.

I am glad that you have yoga to turn to. You and I are a lot alike in a lot of ways. My mat saved my sanity many a day...

Sending you hugs and warm thoughts. If you ever need to talk... You know where to find me...

Kara's Mom said...

I can feel your frustration and your sadness just oozing through your words and into my heart. I'm so sorry for your losses. Losing your child is such a HUGE loss, that i don't know how I keep going every day. Struggling with the future and whether that future will hold another child for us is almost too much to bear. I am with you and I am thinking of you. Sending you much love and support.

Shanti Mama said...

OM, I'm thinking of you and can hear your sadness, anger, and frustration. I know, but I don't. I don't know what it is like to deal with cancer and cannot imagine piling all this on with E's death. It makes me anxious, sad, and frustrated to think about it and I'm not there.

I want your health to be better. Even though this does not compare, when I had shingles and the dr. told me that no way I should try to get pregnant for a while,I felt like shit. I felt defeated that my body would conjure up some other issue for me to deal with. Like I said, that does NOT compare to cancer, but I have a tiny glimpse of what you are feeling.

OM, I think about you every day and I contact me whenever you need.

forward tumble said...

dearest OM

You are a beautiful person, honest loving and strong, thank you for sharing this. I couldn't have shared so much of my own personal doubt and challenge like that. And in reading what you wrote I got two things out of "it".

--I am not alone.(I've never written about my nitty gritty personal pains and horrors but I can tell you one thing, all you write sound incredibly familiar down to the phone calls etc)

--We will make it together.

Maybe it will be tomorrow, maybe in a months time, maybe in a year. But we will. As a matter of fact, we are. For you are here, I'm here. And we are alive (and kicking) and some day it will be alive and smiling and laughing and peace of mind, of heart, of soul.

love, love, love to you

xx Ines

Brenna said...

I'm so sorry, OM. You have some weighty concerns hanging off of your person right now. I can only say that I've been in some very dark, very desperate places before myself, and they're never permanent. It may be a matter of finding the right tools to help dig your way out--perhaps a combination of yoga, better or different medication/treatment, some investigation into ways to improve your financial outlook ... I'm not sure what the answer is, I wish I had it--but I'm proud of you for muscling on and not giving up. Sometimes just waking up each morning is a feat to be proud of. I'm proud of you.

Bluebird said...

Ah, honey. I've been staring at this comment box for a while, trying to think of what to say. I still don't have the words, but I want you to know that I was here. I read your words, I hear you. My heart reaches out for you and I want nothing more than for you to know that you are not alone. That you are a beautiful, strong person, and a wonderful wife and mother. I wish you so much peace, dear friend. So much.

Virginia said...

You will make it. Let me believe that for you if you can't. Sometimes we need other people to believe for us - I know I certainly have. I wish I could do something more for you, but know I am sending good thoughts your way.

Mommy (You can call me OM) said...

To answer the legal work question, I did put my license on hold perhaps two years ago. I'm not even sure. But, it was the only way to hang onto my license for one day when I might-kind-of-sort-of want to practice again and still not to have ever take the dreaded Bar again. :) So, I guess I'm officially a non-practicing attorney.

I'm sorry. I've lost my focus. I took my ambien for the night, so I think I'll stop writing before I say something really off the wall. :)

Jen L said...

Just know my heart goes out to you. I'm so sorry about all that you have been through. However, I do think you are great mom to ALL your children. They are blessed to have you. You are stronger than you give yourself credit for at times. And I don't know if you know it - but you are a blessing to those that read your blog too. In all that you share, we grow too and are blessed by you.

Mommy (You can call me OM) said...

I don't comment in my own comment section often and I don't really know what etiquette requires. But I just wanted to be sure you each know I am grateful for each of your comments. They help. I wanted you to know that. Thank you.