7.23.2009

Dear Anonymous

Ah yes, Anonymous. You struck again. Believe me, it's taken all my strength to restrain myself from another one-finger-salute to you. Apparently, you liked it last time because you came back for more today. Not this time, Anonymous. I'll save my finger for a more deserving purpose. I will, however, congratulate you on single-handedly knocking out what little wind remained in my sails. Good job, Anonymous. You should be proud.

Anonymous, I know these words will get lost in translation with your empathy-lacking-psycho-gotta-come-back-and-kick-OM-in-the-teeth-sort-of-way. But I need to say them. Over the last several months, I've definitely learned that failing to stand up for myself backfires. Not only do I stew over what vile words people like you spew out of your ignorant mouths, but I also begin taking out my aggression on my unsuspecting family.

Anonymous, I feel sorry for you for too many reasons to list here. I don't know why you choose to visit my blog. Your comments are not helpful, in case you've deluded yourself into thinking your sniper attacks somehow motivate me. I don't know why you are too cowardly to make your identity known. My blog stats seem to pinpoint your location as Madison, WI. If that's where you reside, I truly hope you are not the one blogger from Madison, WI on whose blog I have favorably commented. Anonymous, you've succeeded in pushing this paranoid-grief-stricken-cancer-surviving-depression-suffering woman over the edge. Again, I applaud your efforts.

Anonymous, you are not me. I am not you. Maybe you could survive the last several months of my life with a smile on your face. Maybe you'd even bake a little pie and invite some passive-aggressive-head-in-the-sand 'girlfriends' over to your house for tea. You'd sure show them how you can put on a happy face! Somehow, I just haven't mastered that Midwestern trait of yours. Pity me.

You are right, Anonymous. Without sarcasm, I wholeheartedly agree that my children need me. They are cherished individuals given by God. They are beautiful, intelligent, caring, empathetic, charismatic, inquisitive, artistic, athletic, thoughtful individuals. Each of my three living children brings me joy in his/her own unique way. I feed them well, I love them well, I nurse them until they choose otherwise, I hold them when they cry, I discipline them when they disobey, I teach them courtesy and good manners. I ensure they get adequate exercise, socialization, outdoor play, opportunities to explore, and opportunities to excel academically. We forgo paying for cable, a second car, and a lot of other material goods simply because we want them to know God and their religion as a part of their everyday scholastic experience. While I complain about my financial situation and I fret over it, I would never trade the time I spend with these beloved children for the corner office of the most prestigious law firm known to man.

But, Anonymous. I love my fourth daughter, E, as much as I love each of my three living children. My three living children love their baby sister as much as they love each of their other siblings. L, O, and N were so looking forward to holding E and showing her just how much they love her. Instead, E's three siblings joined their parents in demonstrating their love by baptising her, naming her, and burying her body. L draws countless pictures of E. O prays to E and talks to E. N excitedly hopes her baby sister will return. My three living children not only see my pain on a daily basis, they also carry their own pain.

E's siblings see how much I love E. They see the tears, the anger, the sadness, and also the gratefulness for her soul. We are a family of six trying to understand and make our way through the world that can see only five of us. It's not always pretty. I don't always express my grief and frustration healthily. I don't expect you to grasp the significance and impact E's death will always play in our family. But, I do expect you to attempt to respect that which you cannot understand.

And, Anonymous . . . the cancer. I actually had cancer. Not pre-cancer, although I've had that too. So has L. And O's blood work is currently monitored for leukemia. I am grateful thyroid cancer is considered curable. I'm grateful I do not currently need chemotherapy or radiation. The things for which I am grateful far outnumber those I disdain. The funny thing about cancer, particularly thyroid cancer, is that the story doesn't end with surgery. The story goes on and on with bi-monthly doctor appointments and blood tests, neck ultrasounds, mind-altering fatigue, insomnia, joint pain, physiological depression (on top of situational depression coupled with Major Depression and postpartum depression), and debilitating migraines. Again, I don't expect you to understand that it's a daily struggle to get out the door everyday. But, I do expect you to attempt to respect that which you do not understand.

Anonymous, I am a strong person. I am a warrior, not a pacifist. I am fighting grief and depression with every resource available to me. I refuse to simply put E's death behind me. E is my baby girl. I write here about my struggles, attempting to work through the pain. One day, I hope to feel more serenity than pain and bitterness.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

OM your words leave me literally without breath. You are courageous and honest.
Anonymous, by your very name you reveal yourself to be a coward. Nameless, faceless and a loser quite frankly.
The thing is, our blogs are the place where we can share the bits that maybe we can't/don't want to share with the general populace. The bit where we can drop the game face.
OM you know I love you. You know I applaud your courage. Please, please don't stop writing because of some dropkick who can't possibly even begin to imagine what yo are going through.
I know I can't, I don't even try. But I do care.
xxxxx

Donna said...

I'm behind you 100%!!! This is your blog and you can say / write whatever you want!!! It is your place to express your emotions. No one should judge what anyone else says in this publicly private space. If anonymous doesn't like what you say - then s/he shouldn't bother to read or comment.

Anonymous said...

OM, I'm so sorry. People can be such assholes. What a troll, please know this person is not worthy of your time. Is there anyway of blocking this person from your blog? Sending you much love.

still life angie said...

When I was reading this, I felt like screaming, YES! and pumping my fist in the air, OM. Awesome awesome post. One that bears a good screaming/shrieking/dramatic read from a rooftop or sixty.

You are a brave soul, OM, and strong. Not strong because of this post (though it is that, sister), per se, but strong because you express and own your truth. Because you acknowledge your pain, suffering and vulnerability, and you move through it. That is true strength.

With love, and an overwhelming urge to tell Anon to suck it, though I won't (wink), Ang

Sophie said...

So sorry you have to deal with this crap.

xx

Catherine W said...

OM, I'm so sorry. And angry on your behalf. I honestly couldn't even guess at what motivates people like this.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, "if you haven't got anything nice to say Mr or Ms Anonymous, please don't say anything at all."

You are strong. I admire you, I couldn't handle half (or even a tenth) of what life has thrown at you recently or handle it with half your grace. You should be proud of yourself and if I could summon up a storm to puff some wind back into your sails then I would. Puff, puff.

Love xx

Shanti Mama said...

"I am a strong person. I am a warrior,"

Absolutely you are!

There seems to be a couple of these people lurking around blogs these days. If you don't like what you read, move on!

That said, through this ugliness bloomed a beautiful post and a warrior reclaimed her space.

Love my friend.

PS something makes me think you could hunt this person down too if need be. ;-)

MammaWarrior said...

It saddens me to know that anyone, ANYONE! would attempt to tell another human being how to suffer, grieve, live or even think. I hate that you allow her to have any power over you. Take back your power by ignoring the comments left by ignorant people. We whom have lost children know the pain and know that it is not just a snap of a finger to "get over". It will never be better, it will never be something we "get over". Time only helps us integrate the pain into our daily living. We learn to embrace our grief so that it does not kill us! I applaud you for admitting this comment has made you suffer. Not because I want you to suffer but so that people who are selfish and idiotic will see you are a mother in pain. I'm sure if they lost a parent, getting another one would not replace the one you lost, how ridiculous! Be gentle with yourself. You are normal. Grieving is a full time job! Someone who has never lost a child will never understand what it's like to bury your dreams, your heart, your life! Stay strong! Much respect and understanding! J.

MammaWarrior said...

Oh gee..sorry I was actually coming to say thank you for stopping by and commenting! ((hugs))

Amy said...

Can you block this person from entering your blog? I thought there was a blog of questionable source following mine at some point and I blocked them.

Sorry this person is causing you so much pain.

Mommy (You can call me OM) said...

When I started this blog, I decided to allow Anonymous comments because I wanted 'shy' people or recently grieving people to be able to comment regardless whether he/she had a blog or wanted to be associated with an identity. I will most likely block anonymous comments soon because the only anonymous comments I get are from snipers. :)

Sara said...

Dear OM,

I live near Madison, but my IP address/location is not Madison. I am not sure if you think it is me leaving anonymous comments, but it is not. I have never left an anonymous comment on any blog because I agree with you, it's cowardly.

You have the right to feel any way you feel. This is YOUR blog and people have the choice to read it or not. I am sorry that someone from my area (perhaps) left a comment that would hurt you. People have no business doing that. I sincerely hope you don't stop writing because of "anonymous" and I hope that person stops reading your blog and harassing your comment section.

Still thinking about you and praying. I really hope you don't think "anonymous" is me.

Sara

Sara said...

Me again. :) I thoroughly read your post after I commented. I read the Madison part and commented right away because I didn't want you thinking it was me. You should see that my location starts with a W.

Anyway, great post, OM. And again, I am sorry someone else took the wind out of your sails. I hope the rest of us named commenters can help add some wind. You've had to endure more than most and you are doing a great job surviving. Keep on keeping on!

Mommy (You can call me OM) said...

Sara in WI,

Thank you for stopping by to put my mind at ease. The problem with these anonymous comments is that I suspect anybody and everybody, from people who read my blog on a regular basis to people who perhaps followed me back to my blog from another blog on which I comment. I can only imagine that you perhaps have dealt with some of the same issues on your own blog. It's a very unsettling feeling. I take some comfort in that I don't use my real name, etc., but I do know that doesn't fully insulate me from people in my real life who purposefully search for me. And, it definitely doesn't insulate me from random attacks from unknown people. It's difficult to trust people online. I often wonder if readers think I make half my shit up. The thing is, what we read online can be any variety of truth, half-truths, and outright lies meant to simply create a story or to actually hurt people emotionally or even financially. I realize I'm rambling, but it's going to take me a bit to regain my footing here so that I can once again fully share my experiences without feeling that I need to put a happy twist on it all. I am so grateful for all that I have in my life. Perhaps one day this blog will evolve into one of simply gratitude. But I need to work through all the other shit before reaching that hopeful stage.

Sara, I enjoy reading your blog and I love your energy and voice. I've been afraid to comment there recently because the Anonymous comment definitely came from Madison. I still suspect it's one of your readers who followed me back to my blog. I am not suggesting you know the person IRL and I am grateful it is not you because I've felt a connection to you from the very beginning. If you don't mind, when I stop by your blog I don't think I'll comment for some time until I feel more confident. But please know I'm thinking of you and enjoying your little M. :)

Sincerely,
OM

Jen L said...

OM, I'm sorry this coward has choosen to leave you comments as anonymous. I don't think anonymous can begin to understand your pain without having been there herself. I have never forgotten nor will I ever forget my little lost baby. Each May as my original due date grows close I remember too. I do have two beautiful children here with me on earth, but I will never forget my baby Alex either. This anonymous has no right to judge you or your pain or how you cope.

Sara said...

OM, I am so relieved to know that you know it wasn't me who was "anonymous." I apologize profusely if it is one of my readers. I do know from my sitemeter that I have several readers that I do not know IRL.

I understand completely if you do not leave a comment on my blog. I am so glad that you will still visit though and that you feel a connection. I wish you nothing but the best! I won't quit checking in on you from time to time too. :)

Hugs, Sara

Bluebird said...

Hey girl . . . I was just stopping by to check in on you and noticed I never commented on this post. I'm so sorry, and hope you know that I'm supporting you 100%! I read it on my palm and just forgot to come back and comment, I guess. . .

Anyways, I'm just sorry you're having to deal with such asshats. You are so strong, and I admire you so much, and I feel honored to call you "friend."

k@lakly said...

ugh and yuck. I block anon comments for this very reason. Usually they are just from immature trolls who like to stir up emotions and controversy by leaving wholly inappropriate and hurtful words and then scurrying back into their black holes where they think they are 'anon' but really, as you have figured out, you can easily track them by the address they leave. I have another friend who posts the real id of anyone who does this on her blog, you may want to do the same thing:)

Don't dignify them with your energy or words. They aren't worth it. ANd even if this person is 'real', she isn't whole. No compassionate, loving person would ever dare write words to hurt you. It's just immature and mean. So fuck her.

You write for you. We're here to read you and support you.
xxoo

forward tumble said...

I just want to back you OM. All has been said and some seriously funny... dropkick, troll, asshats and the obviously heart felt fuck off.

I've never had an anonymous annoying asshole add arbitrary aggasting assuming aggressive agitating -- no a word in noun form for this that i can think of.

I stand behind you OM and sorry you had to go through this crap. Believe me, you know better, unfortunately. I wish you didn't, and I wish I didn't either. In this case ignorance is bliss.

I wish i could make you laugh in the anonymous face.

big hug and much love
Ines

Michele said...

true dignity. that is what you have shown. i am proud to call you friend.

Gretchen said...

OM - I am so sorry that anonymous has come back. And again, with no experience (or reputable insights) in the devastatingly permanent loss of a child.

I can feel how much you love ALL of your children. And most of us (readers) know what it's like to live without one or more of them on a daily basis. What a beautiful glimpse into your family's way of remembering E. Thank you for continuing to share your incredible and heartbreaking story with us.

CLC said...

Great post OM. While I am sorry you had to dignify anon with a response, I thought your rebuttal was eloquent and so true. It's a shame that there are cowards like this out there. I recently got one too calling me a train wreck because I am still expressing grief. Obviously, these people have never lost children. I wonder if they will ever realize how lucky they are.

Ruth said...

Girlfriend, you kick ass and I love it! I am so proud of you and I love you! Keep your chin up! I am proud to know you and to be alongside you in this. xo

Tash said...

This sounds suspiciously like the anon I had last summer who told me Bella was gonna grow up warped or something if I didn't get a case of the happy, fast; and *that* sounded suspiciously like another anon from *another* blog who also said she didn't pay enough attention to her living children and needed to buck up. Now that you mention it, I don't know if WI is right, but the addy was definitely in the midwest.

My feeling is some people get a case of superiority reading us (which they could get elsewhere, I suppose, but I guess some read around and feel that they're experts on grief having never gone through it) and feel as though if they were hit with it, they could do it better. I hope they never get the opportunity.

Anonymous said...

Dear OM,

I saw in somone else's comments that you've had a troll lurking round and I wanted to add my voce to the chorus of support. I'm sorry that someone came to your precious space and behaved in this way, and I'm sorry for them that they're so petty and mean that they troll the blogs of the grieving.

Isla's Mommy said...

OM, I'm new to your blog (and blogging in general and surviving the loss of a child), and I must applaud you for this post. Generally speaking, I am of the school of thought that "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all", and I would advise you not to waste your engery on losers like Anonymous. But, Anonymous is the one who should keep quiet and sometimes you do need to stand up for yourself and in doing so, you find new strength. OM, it is apparent that you are VERY strong and I hope writing this post renewed your strength. Keep fighting, and know that those of us who have lost our babies and are reading appreciate you candidly sharing your struggles. I will pray for your peace and good health.

PS - I'm a lawyer too, and I admire your courage to give "it all" up - in this profession, it isn't easy. I have no living children, so I'll be returning to work soon. But, I pray that one day, I too will be an overeducated stay at home mommy to a house full of babes!