6.02.2009

O

I've been debating whether or not to post about my most current worry, partly because I suppose I'm superstitious and in the back of my mind there's a little creature whispering things like "Don't say it out loud. It'll make it true." But, my rational side says that I need to get this out there. I'm holding so much inside my soul and my mind is troubled. Another reason I hesitate to post about my most current worry is that I fear you'll suspect me of Munchhausen by proxy or at least some lessor form of neuroses. While I realize most of the events in my life this past year have been out of my control, somebody in real life actually did jokingly say, "It's like you have Munchhausen's or something." Yep. Or something.

Here's the deal. I think O is sick. My husband and I haven't said the word out loud, but I'm pretty sure he's thinking the same as I. I think he has leukemia. Call me crazy. Seriously, I'd probably feel better if I were simply crazy. After all, how could one more thing possibly go wrong in this house? And, maybe it is my overactive baby loss mind playing tricks on me. But the thing is, I've been right before. I knew I had cancer. I just did. I didn't know where, but I knew it was somewhere in my body.

Today, O did eat. Very little. But, he ate. That's saying something, considering he hasn't eaten more than half an apple or a small piece of chicken for roughly a week. We put food in front of him, he says he isn't hungry, and he doesn't ask for snacks. He just doesn't eat. We're going to the doctor today. When O went to his well-child appointment two weeks ago, his doctor noted O had lost weight. I'm curious what the scale will read today.

O is pale, his eyelids are heavy, and his eyes are glassy. He develops random spots all over his body, like little bumps on his ankles and bumps on his face. He's constantly asking what I think this or that bump is on his body.

What perhaps scares me most are O's 'visions.' Yesterday, he said he saw the light of God. He tried showing it to L who couldn't see it. He talks about E more than any of us, constantly pointing out that she should come to the doctor with us, she should go on a walk with us, etc., etc. He also talks about H, our sweet 'baby' dog who died a year and a half ago. The way he talks about them, it's as though he can feel them. He builds little monuments in our yard for E and H, specifying what each of them likes.

O has always been a sweet boy, telling me frequently how much he loves me. But past few days he seems to put more emphasis on the words while looking directly into my eyes. It's something I cherish, but it seems particularly important to him right now.

Last night O, L, and I went to the library so L could read to the dogs (Seriously, she read to an Airedale dog). While L read, O and I looked at books and talked. I asked him if anything on his body hurt while I touched his tummy and joints throughout his body. He said nothing hurt. But, when my husband and I awoke in the middle of the night both worrying about O, my husband said that when O was going to bed he said, "OK. You can take me to the doctor." O said this without any prompting. The little dude is intuitive.

So, there it is. I put it out there. I hope and pray more than anything that I am absolutely wrong this time.

10 comments:

still life angie said...

I absolutely hope you are wrong too. The best thing you can do is take him to the doctor, which is what you are doing. If you are wrong, and I hope, pray, scream to the volcano gods, that you are, then that part of your mind can be eased. The symptoms that he has sounds like it could be a lot of things, not just the worst, so let's just hope allergic to your current clothes detergent is it. Those I am thinking of you so much, OM. Please know you can email if you need or want. Much love.

Snarky Belle said...

I am praying with all that is in me that you are completely wrong on this one!! Angie is exactly right, you are doing the best thing by going to the doctor. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.
Love you so much!

Alana said...

...wiping tears...

OM---sending extra prayers for your family and sweet O. I hope that all went well at the doctor today, and that his diagnosis was nothing major.

Thinking of you!

Brenna said...

Oh my dear girl...I know a momma's intuition is not to be messed with, but I so, so hope this is something else. Please let this be something cureable and manageable and simple (iron deficiency? I don't know...). What a terrifying worry to have about your sweet boy--I'm sending lots and lots of prayers in your direction.

Michelle said...

I so hope your little O is ok. Know that my prayers are definitely with your whole family - what a lot to go through! Please keep us updated.

I know what you mean about the idea that saying it aloud will somehow make it true; I go through that all of the time. Never once did I say that my daughter would die from an umbilical cord accident and it still happened, so I can't put much weight into that superstition these days. Get it out there in any way that helps you!

Anonymous said...

Going with your instincts sounds like the best thing to do. Please demand EVERY test under the sun and ask for copies of results (though you are probably all over that)
Universe, there had better not be anything wrong with O.
Do you hear me?
Hugs OM xxxx

Michele said...

Oh sweetie... I am praying for O right now and will pray for him until you tell me otherwise. Honey, I am so very sorry you are going through yet another scare. I really, really hope you are wrong and that you just have a very intuitive little boy who hasnt been hungry lately. I dont want to think anything else. It breaks my heart to think anything else.

Peter is a scientist who lost a brother in childhood to neuroblastoma and, as a result, has done some research into childhood cancers. In the event something is wrong and you need help deciphering tests, just shoot me an email and I'll give you our home number. But still, we are hoping you are wrong.

Praying, praying, perpetually praying...

Amy said...

I'm thinking of you and really hope O is not suffering from anything serious or incurable. Keep us posted please!

Sending love and hugs.

Gretchen said...

You are not crazy. You are an intuitive mother... I do hope you are wrong and that O is healthy. O is in my prayers.

Karen said...

I hopped over from Snarky's blog and wonder if it was fate? Go with your gut!! I am with Seraphim do not stop until you feel its right. That big C word is scary, I will keep you in my prayers too.

Thinking good thoughts!
Karen