6.02.2009

O's Appointment

First, thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Every comment and word of encouragement just melt my heart. And, I so appreciate the prayers.

If you haven't read the previous post, "O", you might want to do so unless you simply enjoy a mystery. :)

So far, we know nothing. Not nothing as in something is wrong and they haven't decided what it is. Just nothing. O had an x-ray done on his abdominal area and we scheduled a fasting blood draw for Thursday morning.

I described everything from my last post to our doctor (minus the 'visions'). I said, "You might think I'm a crazy woman and perhaps I am. But, I just want to be sure this isn't the C word (I didn't want to say it out loud because O was in the room). I know we've been through a lot this year and my judgment might be a bit skewed. But, I knew I had cancer. I just knew it. I need to know for sure that we're not dealing with that for O."

Our doctor looked at me and said, "Statistically, the odds are slim. But, I know you need answers. I don't think we need to rush into bone scans and all that. But, I do want to order blood work for diabetes, celiac, kidney issues, thyroid, and of course white blood cell count. And I want to do an x-ray to check for any bowel obstructions, etc. I am worried about his weight loss (he lost about three pounds since April). It could simply be a virus. It could be allergies. It could be something benign. But we need to know. I'm going to a bit more aggressive than I typically am because of your health history." I have a good doctor.

When the doctor examined O, O did say his tummy hurt under his ribs. O also pointed out every little rash, dot, or hive on his body. He was very thorough explaining his health issues to the doctor. But, O didn't complain or whine. He just matter of factly described every pain and abnormality he saw. Very scientific little boy.

So, that's a lot of rambling with no conclusion. But, I didn't want to leave you worrying without a follow-up from me.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for posting an update. Sounds like you are in good hands with your doctor. And I am glad that the tests are being done and am hoping for really average results. As in, within range, everything normal. xxxx

tbonegrl said...

Praying for you.

Donna said...

I hope you get good news from all the tests. I'll be thinking of you!

Amy said...

I hope the tests administered and planned for Thursday give you some information you can work with. Sounds like a good doctor. Thinking of you.

Shanti Mama said...

OM- I was offline the past 2 days and just saw this... oh wow. I hope everything is OK. I'm glad you all made the call to go to the doctor and he sounds like a good doctor. Please keep us posted. I am thinking of you and the family.

still life angie said...

Thank you for posting an update. I'll be thinking about you and O and the whole family, actually. As always, much love.

caitsmom said...

Thinking of you and sending loving thoughts.

Snarky Belle said...

Thank you for the update. You and your family are so loved. You will all continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. And, I'll be praying for O's doctor as well, that he'll be guided in the right directions. Thank heaven you have such a great physician. Love you so much!!

Lea said...

I've been thinking of you and O so much. Thank you for touching base. Praying everything turns out to be okay.

Gretchen said...

I am thankful for the update. I am praying for quick diagnosis and just sending healing thoughts O's way....

Alana said...

OM...The waiting game is SO difficult! Continuing to pray for all of you.

Brenna said...

Thank you for keeping us updated. I, too, went to bed with you and O on my mind. I was also thinking about a post Bluebird made recently about how our children should be sheilded from anything bad happening to them, ever (because isn't one child loss per family enough?!). I agree, and I hope O is C-word free and that this is something you can work through easily with a change of diet or something equally simple. I'll continue to hold you all in my thoughts & prayers.

Rebuilding Myself said...

Just catching up. So sorry to hear about O and his health concerns - no matter what they are (or aren't) you and him both know that it isn't right or normal ... and it is great that your doctor understands this.

Will be thinking of you and your family as you work through yet another tough spot.

k@lakly said...

Glad your doc is listening to you and doing the tests. I'll keep positive, 'it's just your over active worry gene' resolution type thoughts for all of you!
xxoo

T said...

Sending you much love, and prayers for O.

Sara said...

Praying for you and your sweet O. Keep us updated as you are able.

Anonymous said...

Hi OM! I just wanted to remind you if you didn't check a while back, that you were one of the winners for my brother Dave's worship CD. Would you still like it? If so, please email me your snail mail @ kargfamilyupdates@gmail.com. Yes, I'm JUST getting to this! ;)

You can find that you won on my blog, here http://kargfamilyupdates.blogspot.com/2009/03/and-3-blessed-commenters.html

CLC said...

Thinking of you and O.

Bluebird said...

Honey, I'm sorry. I'm just now getting caught up on my reading, and I wish I'd seen this several days ago - I couldn't "do" anything, of course, but remind you of my support!!

This was posted a few days ago now. . . any updates?? I'm so sorry you have this stressor to deal with on top of everything. You and your family so deserve a break. Thinking of you, Mr. OM, and sweet O. . . . write if you need me :)

Anonymous said...

I am keeping you in my prayers- lots of prayers for you and your family. If there is anything else we can do, please let us know. Sorry I haven't been in touch lately. I think of you often.

xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

I just came to your blog and this makes me think there is something wrong with the universe - your family deserves a goddamn break. I'm so sorry for your loss and for your illness and for the worry around your son. Also glad you are in good hands - so important & glad you are trusting your instincts.