5.19.2009

She's not here

September 2007
S and I met at a mom's group.

2007-2008
S and I attended aforementioned mom's group, became a step above friendly acquaintances.

August 2008
S - "You're pregnant too! When are you due?"
Me - "March."
S - "Me too!"

November 2008
I gave birth to E, stillborn.

November 2008-Until I finally 'hid' S on Facebook
Countless Facebook updates from S - "Get this baby out of me; I can't wait to have a girl; Baby kept me up all night"

Today -
Husband, O, N, and I stopped at our local drug store.
I spot S at the front of the store.
I turn to my chatty husband and say, "She was due when I was. I don't want to see her."
We all walk to the back of the store.
My husband hugs me.
O says, "Mommy, why are you crying?"
O holds out the game he wanted - "Did this game remind you of E? I love you Mommy."
O and N hug me.
S's baby cries from across the store.

19 comments:

Paige said...

Tears in my eyes for this. Facebook has brought this whole experience to another level, with stupid status updates like,"Raising kids is disgustingly messy." Losing a baby is messy, raising kids is an amazing opportunity I would do anything for right now.

I'm sorry you had to see her, hear her crying baby. It's so unfair. I'm crying with you too. xo

Monica H said...

O is so sweet. I'm sorry you had to see her and hear her baby cry.

Also thank you for leaving a comment on my blog today. I appreciate it. I hope for the same thing too :-)

Lea said...

It's so hard isn't it?

A girlfriend of mine had a baby back in March and I finally called the other day. I actually had to excuse myself from the phone because the newborn cry was just too much to handle.

Take it easy.... xo

Donna said...

So sorry! Sometimes the reminders are so painful.

My daughter does similar things when I cry for no reason. She always asks if I'm sad about baby Ellie.

still life angie said...

Paige is right. Facebook brings a whole different level to this hell.

I hate running into people with their newborns from prenatal yoga. It is so incredibly painful. Your husband and children just sound like such an amazingly loving support. Much love, OM.

Gretchen said...

I'm so sorry. I know just how painful this can be - and it seems we can never quite escape it. I'm so glad hubby and kids were there to wait it out with you at the back of the store. It really is helpful to have that love and support. What a treasure O is with his comforting attempt.

Bluebird said...

I'm so sorry, what a painful story.

Mostly, though, I was struck by O's sensitivity. What an incredible little boy you're raising :)

I've noticed I've increasinly become more okay with my neighbor's toddler (21 months). . . but she's due in a few weeks and I'm kind of cringing, waiting to see how that will go. Hopefully, like everything else, the anticipation will be worse . . . who knows :)

k@lakly said...

Deep sighs....so sorry hun, that stings like hell.
xxoo

Never forgetting Gregory said...

Yuck. I'm sorry you had to deal with that. The best part of the story was your two sweethearts hugging you.

Shanti Mama said...

*Sigh*. I know.

Hugs.

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

Oh...my heart is heavy with and for you as I read this. I know this ache.

Praying...

Thank you for stopping by...and for your sweet words.

Amy said...

I'm sorry. It sucks. Really. I'm glad you had your hubby for support.

Sending love.

CLC said...

I'm sorry. It always hurts to see the babies that were due at the same time. I don't think it will ever stop stinging.

O sounds like an amazing child.

Michele said...

sweetie, i'm so sorry. i remember moments like that all too well. they hurt... deep... in a place most people dont understand. sending you hugs...

Snarky Belle said...

Oh I am so very sorry! Even sorrier that I am just now reading this!!! I'm sorry.

Your precious O, he is a treasure, isn't he?

I love you and I'm thinking of you.

Alana said...

Ouch. SO sorry you endured this encounter.

caitsmom said...

Facebook. UGH. Sending you hugs.

Lynda said...

I'm so so so sorry. Its so hard to see first hand what we are missing. *hugs* to you my friend.

Cibele said...

I am so sorry... it broke my heart to read this. When I lost my first baby (early in my pregancy) my SlL and I had very close due dates,she had a gorgeous baby girl , i never met my baby. I know how you feel. HUGS