5.26.2009

My Reality

This blog is my first. While it started simply as a way to connect to other moms and see how they do things, its initial purpose never manifested itself. I didn't actually start writing the blog until months later, when I lost E. After hour upon sleepless hour searching for answers to why the baby I carried in my womb had died and how I could personally survive losing her, I returned to my skeleton blog and began to write.

For the most part, I've decided to remain anonymous on my blog. While every word and every experience I write about are true, I omit pictures of myself and my family that could reveal my identity to the real world. My husband knows about my blog and I sometimes mention to him specific topics I post about, but it seems he doesn't regularly read my blog. My husband is the only 'real life' person I've directed to it. I talk to him about other bloggers I read and I think that helps him feel we are not alone in this world of baby loss.

I haven't written too much about family or friends on my blog. I'm afraid I'll be discovered, that this space will no longer be my sanctuary. Sanctuary isn't really how I feel about my blog. Plug the words thyroid, cancer, and stillbirth into Google's blog search. There I am. The very first result. Thus, if any friends or family wonder if I have a blog and they know anything about Google . . . well, this isn't exactly a sanctuary.

I want to write more about my experiences with family, friends, strangers, my kids' teachers, etc., etc. But every detail I give brings me one step closer to revealing my identity. Perhaps I feel I've been burned too much or too often in the past, sharing so much of myself that people learn my every weakness and use that to hurt me. I've been able to 'hide out' fairly well in real life. I don't call attention to myself and I like to be left alone. If I start writing about the people who really piss me off and hurt me the most, I'll feel exposed. I'll be opening myself up to another attack, another battle I just don't want to endure.

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about anonymity versus showcasing oneself. Oddly enough, a lot of these thoughts have to do with this show. I don't even have cable, TIVO, satellite, bunny ears, or any other mechanism enabling my TV to pick up any channels whatsoever. But, I do own a computer and I know how to use it! And, I'm not immune to tabloid magazines.

I don't get it. I'd like to say I'm not judging them, but my husband likes to point out that whenever somebody overly emphasizes something she does or does not do, chances are reality is quite the opposite. So fine, I'm judging them. I can't understand why anybody would put their children's safety into jeopardy by parading their images, their whereabouts, their schedules, their names, and their hobbies across the airwaves for all the world to see. Granted, I used to work with sex offenders and I'm often accused of paranoia. But still. Does every pedophile on the planet need full access into a child's bedroom . . . and bathroom, detailing every intimacy of potty training?

I think I'd understand this better if it were a completely fictional show with paid actors. (I know, much of the show is fiction. And, they are most certainly paid.) But, what we see on TV is a portrayal of innocent children's lives. The children have no control over this. They have no say in who gets to see them in their underwear, throw a tantrum, get disciplined, or watch their dad get hair plugs and their mom get a tummy tuck.

I've always felt incredibly protective of my children. I know what dangers the world holds. Why would I feed them to the wolves? Why would anybody take their most precious beings and wholly open their lives to the entire world? I just don't get it.

So, perhaps one day I'll write more about my family, my in-laws, my friends, etc. But, I think it's a safe bet that I'll never become a 'reality' TV star.


**Update**
I followed Shanti Mama's advice and changed my Settings so that my blog is no longer searchable by search engines. Although, the digital footprint may take some time to disappear from cyber space. :)
Thanks for the heads up, Shanti Mama!

11 comments:

Snarky Belle said...

AMEN!!

Thinking of you often! Love you.

Donna said...

I agree 100% about the TV show! I do have a family blog with photos - but it's just for family. But more and more I've been considering adding a password if I can. I also have my personal blog. That was invaded by my "real" world recently. It has really bothered me ever since. It just doesn't feel like "my" space to sahre anymore because I am worried about who has seen it. But I also don't want to have to start over from scratch with a new blog.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the reality tv star lol! But it's taken me a long time to feel comfortable sharing my blog with people that know me in real life. I'm in a different place to you though and I totally understand your choice to be anonymous. I may well change my mind at some point.
And really, it made me want to cry when I thought about the words you typed into google to find your blog. I'm thinking of you OM. xxx

Shanti Mama said...

I struggle with this too. I like to think that no one will find this, but who knows. PS Can't you adjust settings so that you blog does not pop up in google/search engines? Just a little more "protection" for you.

Michele said...

i often worry about people "finding" me and when it happens, i get flustered. i've finally gotten to the point that i feel like this is mine- if someone is shocked by their reading or wonder why i dont talk to them, that, i've decided, isnt my concern. my blog is for me.

try not to worry... i know it sucks to worry about others finding your special space. but it is your space and no matter what you deserve that. for whatever you write about.

Bluebird said...

I totally get what you're saying. When I first started my blog I tried to be as anon. as possible. I made it so it wasn't searchable via google, didn't talk about anyone other than B, didn't show any photos except the back of our heads, etc. As time goes on (and it hasn't even been that much time!), I've really relaxed about this. On one hand I'm terrified it will bite me in the butt one day. On the other hand - it feels okay. I try to only write things that I would say to that person, and I try to "sit on" those posts more before I publish them - just in case. At the end of the day would I hate someone to find me - absolutely. But. But my feelings are true and valid, and I'd share them with most anyone if they felt like asking.

((Hugs)) to you friend. I hope you find the middle ground you're looking for.

Have a blessed day! said...

Girlie, I hear you loud and clear. And as Natalie said...AMEN!

Let this blog be your refuge. Let it be a place of comfort. For you and possibly an anonymous fellow blogger who needs a place to leave their hurt while you comfort each other.

Like I always say, keep on keepin' on!

Brenna said...

I understand completely your feelings of protectiveness. I haven't worried so much about my identity because at this point, the only people to protect on my blog are my husband and I. And we're total open books, so no secrets there. But when children are involved, I can imagine that the game might change dramatically. I'm not sure what will become of The Real Bean should a little bean or beans emerge on the scene. It's a subject worth careful thought and consideration, for sure.
xxoo

caitsmom said...

So few people mention the rights of the children. So few people mention the responsibilities of parents in these situations. Thank you for bringing children at the center of your post. Peace.

Jen L said...

I have had the same worries about people being able to Google me. I changed my settings too and you're right it does take time for the foot print to disappear, but it will. You know I was recently burned by friends who read mine. They read my posts about the trama my family was going through and used it as gossip. I was so mad! What is wrong with people?!!! I just needed a place to vent and try to make sense of it. Kind of like my own therapy. I actually had to remove the posts due to more people going to my blog to try to figure out what was going on from the vague that I did post. I almost thought of ending the blog right then and there.

Rebuilding Myself said...

Ah, finding the balance between it being a place to write, vent, and heal and still always recognizing the public nature of it. Such a tough one. I know I try to keep mine "fairly" anonymous, as I know it would be tough if IRL friends found it ... but at the same time, as time as gone on I have been less and less cautious. I think part of it is that I am getting to a point where it wouldn't be so devastating to be found ... not sure though!