I believe every person in my house is sick. As a matter of fact, even the puppy puked last night (although, that might have something to do with him eating a pillow). L went to the 'quick clinic' on Monday - ear infection. O has sounded like a coughing goose for a week and he slept until noon today. N is on steroids and several nebulizer treatments a day for horrible wheezing and coughing. My husband caught some sort of bug from all three of them, so he's stuffed up and exhausted.
My husband went to bed before 9 PM last night, but he said he awoke around 11 PM and could not sleep again until after 3 AM. He said he 'wrote' and he emailed me his writings. I assumed he wrote something for his work blog and wanted me to edit it, so I didn't check my email until I knew I'd have time to edit his work. Hours after he told me about the email, I checked it.
Upon opening my husband's email, I discovered his 'writings' had nothing to do with work. He spent hours pouring his heart out to E, sharing his thoughts and feelings about her with me. His words brought tears to my eyes and a lump in my throat. My husband and I talk about E daily, but it's usually summed up something like, "This really sucks." His writings detailed everything he loved about E from the moment she was conceived, to when he held her in the hospital, to today when he wishes he could see her. He wishes he could dream about her. He wishes she would grow up to drive him crazy. He asked her to guide him in death since he wasn't able to guide her in life (although, he said he didn't plan on dying anytime soon -- I'm sure that was inserted for my benefit).
I am thankful my husband put his thoughts and feelings into words. I know he carries a lot of weight on his shoulders. I feel that I'm useless a lot of days. He picks up the slack for me on a daily basis, when I no longer have energy to cook or break up sibling disputes. And, he is our only financial source. I wish I could contribute more. I wish I wasn't so limited in my physical, emotional, and just overall energy levels. I hope that one day soon I'll be able to give him the break he deserves.
5.28.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
Firstly, hoping for a quick recovery for you all. Secondly, thank you for sharing with us about your husband. What a beautiful thing to do. He sounds like a good guy. And as for you, you need to be kind and patient with yourself. You will get there. Recovery is slow and when i think of what you have been through, I'd be in bed all day with a pillow over my head. xxxxx
It breaks my heart. My hubby has always tried to be so strong for me, but there were times I would sit back and get a glimpse of the suffering he was dealing with as well. Hugs.
Oh, OM, I hope everyone starts feeling better in the Overeducated House.
Your husband's writing sounds incredibly rich and important. How amazing that he took this time to write and then share it with you. There are some things that are best expressed in the dark of night, alone, and on the page.
OM, I know that I don't know your daily life, but I know you are an amazing mother and wife. Our contributions aren't always financial or even physical (cleaning and cooking), but a mama's kiss and love is very important. This blog post makes it very clear how very much you appreciate everything your husband does on a day-to-day basis, and on a larger level, as a partner. That makes a little extra weight feel a whole lot lighter. It is beautiful to witness. Much love. XO
Oh, Mr. OM.
Daddy grief is much different (I know the comments, "It just sucks" and "It is just so sad")and they spend so much time trying to take care of us. I'm glad he was able to sit down and express his sadness and share it with you.
Hope everyone is feeling better.
What a sweet gift.
I hope you and your family heal quickly.
Absolutely beautiful; what a precious man you have. Just knowing that he thinks of them too (in some way beyond "this sucks") brings me so much comfort - reminds me that I'm not alone :)
I'm so hoping everyone gets to feeling better soon. It's time for you guys to catch a break!
How lovely that he not only wrote it but also shared it with you. So lovely...
Sending healing energy to your fam and hoping everyone gets well soon!
I am glad he shared it with you. I know my husband thinks about our daughter often, but finds it hard to express his true feelings. It breaks my heart when he does.
I wish my hubby would write, talk or whatever about our loss. That is a gift that he gave you, very sweet. Sorry, I haven't been around to check on you, life is the usual. Hopefully by now you are all feeling better. Sending you my love. I totally agree about Jon and Kate, ugh, stupid, seriously!!!
Post a Comment