What house and home look like after losing a baby to stillbirth, whilst dealing with thyroid cancer, whilst facing a grandparent's death:
Huge black plastic garbage bags filled with clean laundry done by my mother. Bits of chewed up plastic left by the yet-to-be-trained puppy. Dirty clothes littering the floor. of. every. room. A foyer with one huge paint sample stripe covering the length of the stairs. The smell of random markings laid down by the yet-to-be-trained, yet-to-be-fixed puppy. An ugly maroon and gold '50's-era tiled linoleum in my kids' room, exposed after pulling up the puppy-marked carpet. Hardwood floors covered in dirt and gravel, tracked in by aforementioned puppy. Closets, cupboards, countertops, tables, and shelves crammed with mail, prescriptions, cards, to-do-lists, artwork, pictures, small toys, DVD's, books, and magazines. A one-car-garage filled with toys, bikes, garden supplies, old carpet, and pretty much anything but our van. A dent in the van's side panel, a reminder of the day I tried kicking ice off the van and perhaps got a little carried away by my aggression. A backyard littered with more chewed up plastic crap and random toys. A leather couch and several other pieces of furniture chewed up by -- you guessed it, aforementioned puppy. Aluminum siding in desperate need of repainting or replacement. Black shutters dimpled by hail. A leaking roof. Holes in my living room ceiling, drilled by me when the roof initially leaked.
The list is incomplete. I filtered it a bit so you'll still be my friend. Who would want to come to a house like this?
4.21.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
you had me at puppy! I look forward to the day we meet. xxxx
Who would want to come to a house like that? Me. Because that would mean I'd be seeing you. And anyway, the house doesn't sound bad to me at all.
"A dent in the van's side panel, a reminder of the day I tried kicking ice off the van and perhaps got a little carried away by my aggression."...sorry, this just made me laugh. I have an antique dresser missing its beveled glass top due to some aggression I felt a few years back.
I'll come over if you promise to come over to my house.....with no trim in areas, needing a new roof, part of our yard not landscaped, no door on my pantry, needing lots of updates, etc.
The house does not make a family...the family makes the house and that alone would make me come on over.
:) Sara
Aww, I love Sara's comment! She said it perfectly, and it's so true. Any one of us would be DELIGHTED to come over, because it would be your house we'd be visiting--who cares about the mess? All we care about is you.
Yeah, I'm w/ these ladies when is a good time for you? I'll bring my dog she can help you redecorate. She has been know to put holes in the walls, eat throw pillows, vertical blinds, rugs, an atlas, and please put away all hats, shoes, laundry, and slippers (unless you don't like them anymore)!!!!
Don't even worry about it, just focus on what you need to right now! Take Care.
As my mother in law says... if people come to look at your house, then they really arent seeing you. I'd rather see you any day.
ME! And whenever you're in Florida, give me a jingle...knowing that our house isn't "perfect" either. :)
Post a Comment