Thank you all for your encouraging and supportive words throughout this first major milestone, E's due date. It means so much to me knowing that others, who have traveled this road of grief, think about me and pray for me.
Even though my first ultrasound calculated E's due date as today, I always thought of her as a St. Patrick's Day baby -- the day I calculated. Thus, I think most of my anxiety has passed. Although, we all know we're never completely out of the woods while we travel through grief.
After my husband left with the other children yesterday, I flipped around in bed until my mom called. She was mainly calling about my appointment tomorrow. Because of that, she approached the conversation with gentleness and empathy (which isn't always the case with my mom). Oftentimes, I'll close myself off from her because she tends to compete with me for just about anything (i.e., if I have a cold, she has 'pneumonia'; if I'm stressed, she's about to have a 'nervous breakdown' -- you get the idea). She actually asked me if I was "not feeling well, down in the dumps, or nervous . . . or all three." I completely broke down and incoherently sputtered, "It's all three. Today is E's due date. And nobody ever talks about her. And I just want her. I just want my baby. And this thyroid thing might have killed her. I just want her."
After talking to my mom a bit longer, I took our dog, C, for a walk. I wasn't sure which direction I was headed, but I ended up at the cemetery where E is buried. I walked over to her unmarked burial site and talked to her for some time. I told her that I know she's in good care and that H, our dog who died ten months before E, was fortunate to have E as a playmate. I picture E with blond curls, happily throwing sticks into a stream for H. I know of nothing in my religion that confirms that animals go to Heaven, but I cannot imagine another scenario. H's spirit held me so often during her life, that I am certain her spirit is now with E. This brings me comfort.
After praying at E's grave site, I asked her to walk with me and C to research ideas for E's gravestone. We plan to move E out of the 'baby area' and into a yet to be selected family plot. It was nearly dark when C, E, and I made our way home. Even though I didn't celebrate E's due date, I do feel I honored her and held her close in my heart.
3.18.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Sweetheart, I know you want her. It hurts so much and there is nothing that anyone can do to make it go away. Except put our babies back in our arms. I'm sorry people dont talk about her. We have to start most of the conversations, but people will talk about the kids with us. Her name means "God is my vow" or "God is my abundance." Even though she can't be with you now, she is your little piece of God made real.
And, of course, dogs go to heaven. :) I fully expect to see my dog there. :)
As hard as it was, I'm *glad* to hear that you talked to your mom, and that you were able to break down, and that you walked, and that you ended up at the cemetary. No one ever has to visit the cemetary for their child. Its horrible and heartbreaking and just shouldn't be. But it sounds like you handled the day the best you could. I was thinking of you the entire time. And I'm proud of you.
I know that odd feeling of celebrating the love of our children. I frequently feel excited and sad as I drive toward the cemetery. It's like I'm going to see my baby, and that's OK. I feel close to her there. I know she isn't there, but her body is and it's the place where her name is and there is a comfort in that. Sending lots of love your way. (((hugs)))
I have been thinking of you often over the past few days. I am glad you talked with E for a while today. You most certainly did honor her! (((hugs)))
sidenote: the fed prison, huh? sounds like a nice plan! :)
Thanks for making me laugh tonight.
Would you be ok with me mentioning you on my blog? I would just use your blog name, and only link to you if it's ok. Could you email me and let me know? snarkybelle@comcast.net
If you don't want me to, of course it's perfectly ok! I am just working on a post about the support and strength I have found through blogging. Thanks!
I agree with you that you honored E, we didnt celebrate the due date either, but I feel like I honored them.
I have the same issues with my mom, she doesnt ever talk about the girls either.
I definately believe that animals go to heaven, that is the heaven that I want to go to. I love your image of E playing with your dog, it is just lovely.
I'm glad you had that time to yourself with E, to talk to her and imagine her and be with her--it sounds peaceful and healing. You've been in my thoughs.
Post a Comment