3.01.2009

The Day

I suppose it's about time I write about the day I found out that E died. I've been having some more mini freak out sessions tonight, so I'm again holed up in my room hiding from my family so I don't destroy them. I still have no news on the period/pregnancy issue, other than two pee sticks with just one pink line each. Perhaps getting a piece of E's story onto my blog will alleviate some of this tension.

On October 30th, 2008, I went to my regularly scheduled 20-week ultrasound. My husband stayed home to watch our two non-school-age children who are not allowed in the ultrasound room. Thus, I went to the ultrasound alone. I wore slippers, the kind with Sherpa and suede. I was too lazy to find real shoes and I thought they looked close enough to footwear that apparently pass for shoes these days.

Once going into the ultrasound room, I simply climbed up onto the table and awaited the gross gel application onto my belly. I was excited to see my baby. Some people may think that because this was my fourth baby, I would treat this ultrasound as routine or mundane. I definitely did not feel the adrenaline I felt when I prepared for my first child's ultrasound. But, I never take any of my pregnancies for granted. I was eagerly looking forward to seeing E again and I was curious whether her due date would change by a few days.

When the ultrasound tech started moving the wand (I really don't know what they call that thing) around my belly, she started asking about my due date and whether or not I wanted to discover the baby's sex (which we did not want to know). When she started pointing out my placenta, I interrupted her and asked if she could just start by telling me E's heart rate. She said, "Have you been having problems?" I said, "No. Not really. But, they have had a hard time finding the heartbeat the entire pregnancy. They've said it's due to the anterior placenta. So, I just always like to start with that."

God, this is hard to write. I'm trembling.

The following words echo in my head, "I'm not allowed to make a diagnosis, but I don't see one. I'm sorry." It took me a minute in stunned silence to process what she said to me and what it meant. Thoughts such as, "Oh, just move the wand a little more. Or, maybe baby's just turned funny" raced through my mind. I didn't move, but I glanced at the screen. I'll never forget how absolutely still E was. She was curled up into a tight ball. Tears silently streamed down my face as I threw my head back onto the pillow.

The ultrasound tech called my Nurse Practitioner, who saw me throughout E's pregnancy. NP Amy came into the room, looked at the screen, confirmed the news, and sincerely said, "I'm so sorry. Do you want to call your husband?" NP Amy handed me the phone. My husband answered and I barely got out the words, "They can't find a heartbeat." He said, "What? Are they sure?" As he choked on his words, he said he'd call my mom to watch the kids and he'd come to the hospital.

I then realized I was still lying on the table, ultrasound gel on my belly. I asked if I could go to the bathroom and when I got off the table, I saw my stupid slippers. It just stood out in my mind that wearing my slippers could have been a funny little anecdote to share with E, had she lived. Now, the slippers were just stupid.

NP Amy walked me through the hallway to the clinic and into a regular exam room where we waited for my husband. He arrived within 10-15 minutes. He entered the room with tears streaming down his increasingly contorted face and his arms outstretched to hug me. The three of us just cried for some time. NP Amy might have left the room for a bit, while my husband and I sat and cried more. My husband just kept saying, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I love you. I love our baby."

NP Amy tried to comfort us, but she knew there just were no words that could fix this. We're fortunate NP Amy was our care provider. I cannot think of one stupid thing she said; we all know the kinds of things that come out of people's mouths in this situation.

I already knew, from acquaintances and some friends' experiences, that I'd be induced into labor and deliver E vaginally. I am grateful I knew that because I think it prepared my mind for the scenario. I used to think that making a mother deliver a baby who already died was a cruel medical practice. After all, we still go through the pain of labor; but, the reward of holding a live baby is gone. Now that I faced delivering a baby who died, I felt grateful. At least I'd see my baby and know what he/she looked like. If I wanted, I could also hold my baby. Years ago, this option was not given to mothers.

The three of us talked about when to induce. I couldn't face delivering my baby immediately. I wanted more time to carry E. The next day was Friday and it was Halloween. I have three living children who were looking forward to school Halloween parties and trick-or-treating. I couldn't deny them those childhood memories, as long as it was in my control. Thus, we decided to induce the following Monday, November 3.

When my husband and I returned home, I felt dead inside. My mom greeted us at the door and I immediately threw myself onto the couch. It then became clear that my mom really didn't understand what happened. She said to me, "What did you find out?" I said, "Didn't he tell you when he left you with the kids?" She said, "He said they couldn't find a heartbeat." I just looked right through her and said, "Yeah." She said, "Oh. Oh, I'm so sorry." She tried hugging me, but I just lay there without response.

I think that's enough for now. I'll gradually share more as I feel I'm able to do so.

28 comments:

Brenna said...

I'm going to come back and read your post in the morning when I'm more "bright eyed and bushy tailed" but wanted to quickly say that I hope everything is okay at your home tonight! I saw your response re: your little one's trip to the ER--I'll send up a prayer tonight that all is well and will check back with you tomorrow. Hugs, sweet friend. I'll be back tomorrow to read your post, I feel like it's probably a deep one and I should save it for when I'm more alert.

Jus and Kat said...

Thank you for sharing. Sending many thoughts and prayers your way!

-Kat

Shanti Mama said...

OM-thanks for sharing E's story. I hope that through writing her/your story it helps you to heal. It really does help, even if the next couple of days are difficult. I can tell that you have those moments... those moments that echo in your head...the words, the people. I'm not sure if they will ever go away. I'm at the same point as you... we birthed/lost our babies in the same week. Sending you love and peace.

Michele said...

I'm sitting at my desk, crying right now. Thank you for sharing E's story with us. I wish that I had some words that would make the clock rewind and all of us be able to just stay in that one day... where everything was perfect and fine...

I wish so much...

Jen L said...

Thank you so much for sharing her story. It brought tears to my eyes and my heart aches for you. I wish we lived close so I could come and be there for you in person. My thoughts and prayers go out to you my dear.

Alana said...

Hi. I am a first time reader. I had a miscarriage in January (my first, and I pray last!) I know the heartache I went through...and cannot imagine how difficult it must have been for you and your DH, as you were further along in your pregnancy than I was.

Thank you for sharing your story I will check back in with you...

Brenna said...

Oh sweetie. I just finished the story and I'm tearing up over here. The slipper detail is something I can absolutely imagine feeling. I'm so sorry. Thanks for sharing this story with us.

Snarky Belle said...

The slippers. That broke my heart. I am so sorry. Thank you for sharing your story with us. I understand it can be exhausting, but I believe it can hold great healing. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Much love to you.

HereWeGoAJen said...

I'm so sorry. I'm thinking about you and E today.

Bluebird said...

Thank you so much for sharing your story, sweet OM. I know it must have felt like your heart was breaking all over again. I hope it helped some too, though. Long before I started blogging, when I was at home one day a few weeks after the babies were born, I just sat down and started doing the same thing. I wrote over 15 pages, and was a mess by the time it was all done. But it was so good. It was good not only to "get it out," but also I realized that I was subconsciously afraid that I would forget the details of A and B, and that, this way, I had them preserved before any more time passed.

And yes, the details stand out the most to me in my story too. Just this morning I was getting dressed for court - black pantsuit, white shirt. . . and I so badly wanted to put on my red heels! But I couldn't. Because that would have been the exact outfit I wore the day I went into the hospital. Its not in the budget to just dump the suit (and I'm *not* getting rid of the heels!), so here I am just dancing around the details. . . . oh well.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing - I was only able to do this about the girls a couple months ago ... over a year after we lost them. It is so tough, but a part of the healing process.

Wishing you never had to write the story ...

Ruth said...

I am just loving on you right now. I know that it is so hard to relive those moments. I'm so proud of you. I just know that we would be fast friends in real life. Wished I lived closer so that I could just hold you. This is so hard. My therapists says that I need to get "honest" about what happened with my Renner to myself but unlike you, I'm just holding onto denial, I think. I don't want to admit that this nightmare really freaking happened to me. It just makes me so sick. Why do babies have to die? I'm so sorry for your loss. You sound like a fabulous woman and so real. I just loved your previous post with the true confessions. Keep your chin up, I feel like this gets hard before it is going to get better for us. It sucks!!! But I think that it is so good that you are writing and sharing for yourself but also for me. Thank-you!

Carly Marie said...

I know how hard it must have been for you to write that all out. Be gentle on yourself with this. I know how emotionally draining it is to write out your story as you have to re live it all.

I am so so sorry for everything that you are going through.

Its all so familiar. I wish none of us had this in common.

I am sending you all my love tonight

Anonymous said...

OM, I am so sorry that you have had to endure so much pain. I could feel the pain as I read your words. I know how hard it is to recount those moments, but I do feel like it heals in some small way. Thank you for sharing.

N said...

I'm sorry you had to go through this.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing, and I'm so sorry for your loss.
I hope that by getting your story out it will bring some peace.

annacyclopedia said...

I came over from the Lost & Found. I'm so sorry for your loss, and I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers today.

Meghan said...

Here from the L&F.

I'll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts these next few days. Hoping you find some comfort in telling the story

A n T said...

Here from LFCA: Sorry for your loss.

Emily said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Thinking of E today & sending hugs.

Emily
here via LF

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for you loss. (LFCA)

areyoukiddingme said...

I'm so sad for you and your family. I hope sharing has helped a little.

Here from L&F

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, and am thinking of you today.

FattyPants said...

Thank you for sharing. I am so sorry. Here from lfca

CLC said...

I am so sorry. It's heartbreaking to read. Thinking of you and E.

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Here from L&F, abiding with you on the loss of your baby.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. As hard as it is to write those words, it really does lift some of the weight off your shoulders.
((HUGS))

Sophie said...

I'm so sorry. Thankyou for commenting on my blog and thankyou for sharing E's story.

All the best,

Sophie