2.19.2009

The Shower

I think I've mentioned my firstborn's Godmother in a previous post (I'm too lazy to link it). L likes to call her "Fairy Godmother." Apparently, we haven't covered the Sacrament of Baptism very well. But, isn't it so much more endearing to think of a magical person in your life who could turn a pumpkin into a coach if you just so happened to need a ride to the Ball?

Godmother and I met our first semester of college. I transferred to a different school, against her advice (she was right, BTW), but we kept in touch. After college, we experienced about two years of scattered communication, but we quickly picked up where we left off once we lived in the same state again. Godmother has helped me through my mom's cancer, my own marital woes, my previous pregnancies, and countless other life situations.

Godmother married for the first time nearly one year ago. She sacrificed a lot to marry the man she loves. She's a city girl. She likes independent restaurants, boutique shops, and Trader Joe's. Godmother moved to South Dakota without a complaint because her husband has three children from a previous marriage. Godmother would never consider uprooting her husband from his shared custody arrangement with his ex-wife, who lives in the same South Dakota town. So, now Godmother lives in the land of Applebee's, Olive Garden, and Chili's. No Trader Joe's. No Whole Foods. Godmother is happy (although, she pretty much wipes out TJ's inventory everytime she gets the chance).

Godmother, thankfully, was able to get pregnant soon after getting married. She and I were due less than one month apart from each other. Godmother was one of the first people to show her love when I lost E. She volunteered to drive from South Dakota to take care of my other children. She was desperate to do ANYTHING for me.

After first losing E, I didn't think too much about the fact that Godmother would give birth eventually. To a healthy baby. A healthy baby who was supposed to be the same age as my healthy baby, E. Godmother wasn't showing that much when I lost E. And, frankly, I think I was pretty much oblivious to anything, other than my next breath. I vaguely recall feeling Godmother's "bump" when she came to see me. And, I was happy for her.

Now. Now, I feel terrified. I'm terrified that I've shut Godmother out. I'm terrified that E's due date is quickly coming up, which means Godmother's baby is also on its way. I want to feel happy for Godmother. Just happy. Not jealous. Not sick to my stomach that E died. Not depressed.

The other day, I got an invitation in the mail. I knew it was coming because I got a "save the date" type email at least a month ago. It's an invitation for Godmother's SURPRISE baby shower. WTF? Sorry. But, who throws surprise baby showers anyhow? Maybe I'm out of the loop here. But, when I'm uncomfortably pregnant, I like to know what my days will hold. I don't need some flippin' surprise when I'm suffering from horrible heartburn and desperately need a nap. Maybe that's just me.

Anyway, I think I would have been prepared for a baby shower. It's Godmother's first baby. I could have talked to Godmother and told her that I just couldn't handle a baby shower. I will handle seeing her baby, lavishing her with presents, etc., etc. But, now that the shower is a surprise, I look like a chump. I'm just a no-show.

Godmother will have every right to hate me. She's always been there for me. Why can't I muster up enough courage to travel four hours to South Dakota and endure a stupid little shower?

13 comments:

Ruth said...

I love and appreciate your honesty. It is ok. "This" is hard and it mfingsucks!!!

CLC said...

Don't torture yourself unnecessarily. Don't go. And if she is the good friend that you think she is, she will understand why you aren't there. Baby showers are places for shiny happy oblivious people. It will make you weak in the knees to go to one this soon after your loss.

Snarky Belle said...

Please don't be so hard on yourself. You have more courage than you know. Right now, your courage is being used to survive, to keep your family surviving. It's not so much about mustering up your courage, it's more about it not being the right place for you to go at this time. I agree with CLC, if she is truly a dear friend, she will understand. And, I'm with you on the whole "surprise" thing. Sorry you are even having to think about all of this! ((hugs))

Carly Marie said...

She will understand.

Think of yourself first before anyone else.

I never had a baby shower. Not one out of the three babies I have given birth to. I never like to celebrate early ;)

Sending you all my love tonight
x

Michele said...

Oh sweetie... My dear friend, who has also lost 2 and was pregnant with me when I was pregnant with Alexander, is still pregnant and, thank God, her pregnancy is going well. Her shower is the 29th of March- a year to the day that we held Nick and Sophie's Memorial Service. The idea of being at a shower makes me sick to my stomach, but I have to go. I love her and she and I have gone through so much together. If it were anyone else, I'd say no in a heartbeat. But I can't. I know it will hurt deeply. But I still feel like I have to.

You have to do what you feel like you need to do. If that means going and hurting, then go and hurt. If it means staying at home and hurting, stay at home and hurt. I dont think there's a way around the hurting. But you need to love yourself as much as you can and get through the day, whether that is with her or without her.

She'll understand. She loves you. You guys are friends. She knows what you've been through and probably feels the strain of this with you.

Bluebird said...

Sweet girl, you said she's a friend. She sounds awesome and supportive and like someone with whom you can be honest - a *real* friend. If you really don't feel up to it, which makes total sense, then don't go.

I'll echo what many have said to me, which is that the anticipation is often worse than the actual event. But I also think back to showers I went to while going through IF - I wasn't even anxious about them, and thought everything went well, but after the fact people said, "what was the matter with you? You seemed distant and 1unhappy." So I shudder to think what it might be like now.

Could you send a gift to the shower hostess, and ask her to include it with the gifts at the shower? You could have a card that just says something about "Sorry I can't be there," and explain more later.

Michelle said...

I wouldn't go unless you feel you will regret it later. If she is your good friend, she will definitely understand. This happened to me too. One of my friends and I were going through every aspect of our pregnancies together - up until 20 weeks when we lost our daughter.

I got the invitation for her shower and I simply replied that I couldn't make it. I have yet to even give her a gift for the baby, which really would have been nice now that I think about it!

But we have remained close and I am able to be around her little Sophie now that she's here.
I really miss getting to raise our girls together. They would have been just a few weeks apart.

It's ok to take care of yourself right now. Remember that.

Mommy (You can call me OM) said...

Oh, gosh. You all are so great. I wanted to be sure to say that in case I don't say it on your individual blogs.

Brenna said...

I don't know if you cry easily, but I sure do. I figure it's better to let the shower be about the person for whom it's being thrown and her baby, not about the crazy girl crying in the bathroom. As many others have said, this woman sounds like a great girl and true friend, so she'll understand if you need to sit this one out. It will be much more special if you can make the trip after her baby arrives and spend some one-on-one time her and her new child anyway, in my opinion.

caitsmom said...

Be gentle with yourself. This is so hard and you are grieving and deserve the time and energy it takes to take it one day at a time.

Elana Kahn said...

You do not *have* to go. It is a 4 hour drive and she should know how difficult it would be for you to be there. ICLW

Two Shorten the Road said...

Honestly, I think that if anyone judges you for skipping a shower right now, that person is now a real friend.

Heck, I haven't been to a baby since we started TTCing. I just send a gift and call it a day.

ICLW

Gretchen said...

I understand your hesitancy. I have not been to a shower since we lost our son over 2 years ago. I just can't imagine myself in those utterly oblivious conversations that ensure at a shower. I might just inject a bit too much reality and bring the whole party down... better not even try to attend for me.

If she is a real friend, which it sounds as if she is, she will completely understand why this is too difficult for you.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this on top of your grief. It sucks.