2.22.2009

The Boople

Warning for some of my blog friends: This post includes issues regarding parenting my living children while grieving for E.

I also need to preface this post by saying that I feel guilty. I feel guilty complaining about my children. I feel guilty that I cannot practice more patience. I feel guilty that E is gone, yet I cannot simply feel grateful for my living children.

Aaaaccckkk. I lost it. Again. Where to start? I'll summarize the events of the day, leading up to the huge crescendo. I stayed home with sick little N this morning while my husband took L and O to mass. Shortly after they left, N started throwing a fit because "I want go mass!!!!" Never mind the fever, the snot, or the barking cough. So, I attempted a compromise. I told her Daddy would come back and we'd all go to lunch. This seemed to go well, until I tried dressing her. Another fit.

When they returned from mass, I left naked N with my husband. I took L and O downtown, hoping to go to the library. Closed. In an attempt to kill time while waiting for the library to open, we decided to sit in Starbucks. Coffee. Vanilla Milk. Starbucks - closed. By this time, O just wanted to go up and down elevators and dirty stairwells downtown. I said no. O had a fit.

By the grace of god, Cinderella was playing at the Community Theater downtown today. We were able to get last minute tickets. O.K., not last minute. Last half of the day. We still had at least an hour and a half to kill. I figured we'd have lunch. O thought that plan was a buzz kill and we should see the play NOW. O had a fit. We still went to lunch. O had a fit.

The play went O.K. No out of control fits. Until, I said we were going home after the play. O had a fit.

We got home. N needed her "boople" immediately (I still nurse N. She calls it her "boople."). N cannot nap without her boople. Thus, I'm pinned to the bed for a couple hours every day. That part isn't so bad. But, the twisting, pinching, piercing with little fingernails, and overall abuse of the boople is sometimes unbearable. It really is a cycle of abuse. She hurts the boople. I yelp. She says, "Sorry boople." I'm lulled into false security by her promises that she won't ever hurt the boople again. And again. And again. And again.

The boople and its attached body need a break. If the boople is not receiving abuse, the rest of my body suffers from my sweet little two-year-old's constant physical demands. She jumps on me. She hangs on my leg while I try to walk, or do the laundry, or put away dishes, or sit on the toilet. Inevitably, one or both of us endures injury. It's difficult to open a dishwasher without hitting N's head while N is attached to my leg. One or both of us ends up crying or throwing a fit. This sort of scenario makes up a typical day. You can only imagine the boople abuse when N is sick. Like today.

After dinner, I asked my husband to change N's diaper so I could simply brush my teeth and wash my face. Whilst water rushed from the faucet and I scrubbed my face, I heard my husband yelling. With soap still lathered on my face, I turned off the faucet and found my husband chasing the dog and pulling a poopy diaper from dog's mouth. My husband wasn't yelling at the dog. He was yelling at me. For just "standing there."

I lost it. The boople, the body, the mind all had enough for one day. I screamed about not getting a break. Not being able to move freely in the universe. I launched the garbage across the kitchen. I slammed a few doors. I completely freaked out.

Really, other than boople abuse, I don't know precisely what brought on this loss of control. Even all the annoyances didn't really warrant that big of a reaction. I suppose it's grief related. I told my husband it bothers me that it seems I am the honorary torch bearer for E's life. I feel I am the one saying her name out loud. Finding ways to incorporate her into our family, so people know she existed. That she exists. In my heart, my mind, my soul. Yet, I do not think these fits of rage honor E. Why can't grief be peaceful?

P.S. The boople suffered excruciating torture throughout this post's production. The boople still suffers.

8 comments:

Snarky Belle said...

I am sorry!! I can't imagine how difficult it must be to journey through grief with so many others to care for. Victoria was my first, so I am useless when it comes to advice on this. I can tell you that once I had my next child, I thought because of my prior loss, I would be the kindest mother around, I would never "lose" it, I would just cherish every moment whether it was good or bad. That plan hasn't exactly turned out as I had imagined. There was a time I felt tremendous guilt over it all. I hope and pray you can be a little more gentle with yourself. That you can see how amazing it is that you are trudging along. Some days all we can do is keep our heads above water. You are an amazing woman!! I wish I could be more helpful. I am sorry you are dealing with so much. Sending you lots of love!!

Brenna said...

You write with such humor--I'm still chuckling over your descriptions of boople abuse!--and yet I could really understand what you were feeling in that moment. I'm sometimes (not very often, but sometimes) grateful that I don't have other children and that I can mourn the loss of Adam, Joseph and Paul in peace. I can imagine how hard it would be to not have the space to grieve E's death that you need.

CLC said...

I have had these type of outburts as well with my husband. Our different ways of grieving frustrate me at times, and I feel like I am the only one who is truly remembering and honoring my baby. I guess we just have to remember that they are too, even if they show it differently. It's just hard to carry that cross alone, or seemingly alone.

Michele said...

Honey, I am so sorry for your boople. Really. That sucks.

And we all freak out. I had a freak out on my husband last night in bed. He dropped the F- bomb, which never happens. It was a crappy night. Don't feel bad. Suffering isn't just about mourning our children who have gone before us, there's the life we have left, too. It happens. You are a good mom and wife. A freak out every now and again- well, that's the cost of being a good wife and mom.

caitsmom said...

I can't even imagine the challenges, but your post helps me understand a bit by giving me a glimpse into one of your days. I don't have any living children, but frankly, your life is yours and your challenges are yours and well, why am I saying this? Because you are entitled to grieve the way you need to. If that includes some anger and other non-peaceful emotions than that's just the way it is. And I don't think you need spend anytime feeling guilty about "complaining" about your l/c. After all, your a mommy to all your children. ((((hugs))))

Gretchen said...

Hang in there. It's so hard when you don't have space to grieve like you need to. It ends up coming out in outbursts which can be so tiring and guilt-inducing. You are doing an amazing job keeping it together under circumstances most people can't even dream of.

Kristin said...

I have been with a friend as she had to parent her two children after her 3rd was born still. I am in awe of the strength both you and she show every day.

I love that you can insert humor into a post about such a serious topic.

~ICLW

Erin said...

Here from ICLW.

It must be hard to parent while grieving for a child. Best of luck.