2.26.2009

Oh, Facebook!

"The Shower" will soon be a thing of the past. But, until then, this is what I deal with:

Dear OM:

I just wanted to make sure you rec'd the invite I mailed out a couple weeks ago. Do you think you can make it? I am going down on Friday (T knows I am coming, but she does not know that others are coming on Sat for the shower) If you want to go down on Sat there are people up here that are going and I am sure you can carpool with them if you wanted. Let me know and I can hook you up. We are also planning on getting hotel rooms on Sat, so if you wanted to go in on that too, let me know.

I hope you can come!


My response:

Thank you for contacting me and I really do appreciate the invitation, especially for the carpool. But, I just can't do it. I'm trembling just writing this note. So, I suppose if I can barely handle talking about a shower, I definitely couldn't handle attending one.

Losing E has been the hardest experience of my life. Holding her perfect little body and burying her days later has made me a different person. After first losing her, I thought I'd be able to see pregnant women and babies and simply see hope and life. But, three months later, I can barely think about such things without feeling sick.

E's due date was March 17. Because I delivered O 2.5 weeks early, I actually expected her to arrive anytime from the end of February until her due date. I'm an emotional wreck right now.

I've told T that I want to support her, but I don't think I can handle large groups (I didn't let on about the shower). I will see her when she visits. I want T to enjoy her pregnancy and baby without worrying about the crazy lady (me) running off to cry.

Again, thank you for thinking of me. I'm sure it was a difficult decision to make whether or not to invite me.

Update
The response to my response:
Hi OM:

I am so sorry if this invitation made this time even harder for you. I definitely did not want to make you feel bad, but did want to include you in case you were up for it. I completely understand you not being up for the shower.

I can only imagine how hard and emotional the last few months have been. You are in my thoughts during this difficult time.

Take care

My response to that response:
M,

Absolutely do not feel badly about inviting me. I am happy you included me. It's such a difficult time for not just me, but for others who simply try to do the right thing.

If you could just let T know that I want to be there for her, but I just couldn't handle a shower, I'd really appreciate it. T deserves all the joy in the world. I'm glad you organized this shower for her, especially since she doesn't have to travel. I know that's the last thing I'd want to do in the last few weeks of pregnancy.

Thank you for your kind words, M. I could use some prayers. I'm much more functional these days, but grief is such a roller coaster. Some days it just hits me like a brick.

10 comments:

Snarky Belle said...

I think your response was perfect! Again, I am just sorry you have to deal with this. will you check your email when you get a chance?
(((hugs)))

Michele said...

This was a beautiful and thoughtful note. I'm so proud of you for writing back and explaining things so exquisitely. I'm sure that she will understand 100%.

Thinking of you and E right now...

CLC said...

That was an honest and thoughtful response. I hope the person who receives it understands. I am glad you aren't going. The shower I went to last week was brutal and I am 14 months into this..I can't imagine making it through one at 4 months out.

Shanti Mama said...

Handled beautifully and honestly, OM. It is difficult for people to understand who haven't been in our place. I think you explained it well to her. I had to show up to my sister's shower last month and it was awful. Not only did I feel awful, but I felt like people were uncomfortable and avoided me.

Amy said...

I think both responses were honest and explained your reasons for not attending the shower.

I know after Liam died, 3 friends and neighbors were pregnant, with showers. I recieved invites for all of them, and declined each. But, I was grateful (combined with the punch in the gut feeling) for receiving them. I want to make the decision to attend or not attend. No one should make that call for me.

On the flip side, a best friend of ours who delivered a healthy baby boy one week after we had Liam, were kind enough to verbally invite us to his one year birthday, but skipped the mailed invite. They told us so we did not feel left out, and obviously we know their son's birthday by heart - one week after Liam's. We declined, but did go over after the party was done, visited with them and showed our love. We did not bring gifts or even a card, but they accepted our visit as a huge gesture of support, knowing how difficult that was for us.

I hope your friends continue to understand how painful such situations.

Anonymous said...

That exchange brought tears to my eyes...so gracious on both sides but particularly courageous on your part.

It can be so hard for others to know what to do in these situations and to treat her overture with dignity and compassion even in the midst of your grieving shows a kind heartedness that inspires me.

Brenna said...

I'm glad you were able to share so openly and honestly with her your reasons for not attending--and very glad indeed that your brave exposure of very raw feeling was met with grace and good will.

KandiB said...

FB, like email, can be a blessing and a curse. Sounds like you used it for good :) My thoughts are with you. ICLW

Bluebird said...

It sounds like things worked out perfectly. I had a similar experience recently. I finally decided to respond honestly to a friend - she was so understanding and sweet and talked about how she didn't want to leave me out . . .I found myself backpeddling and thanking her for being so wonderful!!!

Its such a strange situation we're in, and there really are no right answers. I don't know about you, but I probably would have been hurt if I had been left out, but yet I also didn't want to be included! Ugh.

I'm so glad you all had a good "conversation" and I hope you have peace with the way things worked out. And I'm proud of you for being honest :)

Jill said...

I think your responses were great! I've never been in your situation, but I know how hard it is to not have understanding friends. I'm glad you do!

Keeping you in my prayers as well...