I've been invited to a baby shower. Not just any baby shower. My eldest child's godmother's baby shower. For her first baby. First pregnancy. With her first and only husband of exactly one year. She is nearly 36 years old. I should be gracious and happy for her. We were due less than a month apart.
The shower is in her new hometown, about four hours from me. My going would entail carpooling with a group of mostly single, childless women. Talking about babies. Specifically, a baby whose due date falls less than a month from E's due date. Did I mention the shower is scheduled for the week of E's due date?
I can't go. I'm a horrible person. I support her. From afar. Enduring eight plus hours of anticipatory baby chit-chat would do me in. I'd fail at trying not to rain on her parade. I want her to be happy. But, the in-my-face sweet baby stuff is just too much.
One more thing: I can't tell the mom-to-be about my feelings or even give her a lame excuse for not coming. It's a SURPRISE shower! What the hell am I going to do?
1.17.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Here from Lost and Found to welcome you to the ALI blogosphere...
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your baby.
As for what to do, could you send a card with someone that includes an explanation? Or plant an explanation with someone else who's attending in case she asks where you are?
Hi. I also found you on L&F. So sorry for the loss of your baby. This is too new, don't feel badly that you can't face a baby shower yet, especially this one. I agree Cassandra that sending a card or gift with the gaggle of single girls is the best idea. Or you could mail something to arrive the next day - or mail it to the party planning person. I'm sure a true friend would totally understand. Good luck whatever you decide, give yourself some time.
Thank you for commenting. I'm so new at this, that it's amazing to me that anybody even reads these posts! Your suggestions are wonderful and I'll likely follow through on them. But, I really just want it all to go away. The death most of all.
Post a Comment