8.19.2009

Scattered Thoughts

Today L, N, and I made chocolate chip cookies (actually the baking has yet to occur -- the mixing alone took us a couple hours). O decided to pull himself away from his Spiderman cartoon once we reached the only ingredient he desired -- chocolate, of course. The boy loves himself some chocolate. Chocolate milk. Chocolate ice cream. Chocolate syrup. Hot chocolate. Chocolate pudding? No. Makes him gag. After eating several handfuls of chocolate, he lost interest in baking and resumed his Spiderman marathon.

L's been requesting we bake chocolate chip cookies all week. It's become a bit of a tradition for us to bake chocolate chip cookies to bring along on our summer vacation. Today, a rainy day, was a perfect day for baking. When I was a child and I'd spend nearly all summer every summer at my grandparents' farm, rainy days were reserved for baking. Always chocolate chip cookies. Sometimes lemon cookies. Usually buns. Sometimes ginger snap cookies. Apparently, my grandma had much more patience and energy than I do now.

Yesterday, I read dooce.com. I recall reading Dooce a while back, but I never stuck with it. I was led back to Dooce by mention of her on another blog. Apparently, she taped with the Dr. Phil show yesterday. My interest piqued, I wandered over to Dooce's blog. I learned that Dooce also suffers from Depression. She writes more openly and bluntly about it than I. Yet, I've felt every single feeling she describes. I am grateful for her transparency and complete honesty. If you ever deal with Depression or if you try to understand the illness in somebody else, turn to dooce.com which will also lead you to Dooce's husband's blog where you can learn what it's like to live with somebody with Depression.

N has a sinus infection. She's had a bloody nose during the night for over a week. Her sleeping habits have become less habitual and more random. Thus, she's slowly falling asleep on the boople right now. Perhaps I won't make it out the door to yoga this evening after all.

Oh, one more random thought. My husband hasn't read my blog lately. He does know about its existence. I did tell him about the 'divorce' post. He still hasn't looked. But he wanted to make sure you all know he is not a complete jerk. He's not. The other night, upon completing my yoga practice, I cried. I cried because I need to show my husband how much I love him. I really do.

10 comments:

Lesley said...

I started reading Dooce when she appeared on Oprah. I love reading the down to earth- no fluffy stuff she writes. She makes me feel like I can do it too!

Hang in there OM! You are in my thoughts and prayers always

Sophie said...

Of course you love him. These things wouldn't hurt so much if you didn't.

Will have to check out this Dooce person.

xx

Donna said...

Cookies... yum! I really only bake once a year around christmas. Yaya loves to help - but it ends up taking me 3x as long as it would otherewise...but I just keep reminding myself that she will remember the experience, just like I remember meaking cookies with my Grandma.

I've never read Dooce. but I'm going to look her up. It souunds interesting.

Sometimes a good cry is what both of you need...

Michele said...

What a lovely tradition. I'd like to make some of those...

And thank you for sharing Dooce. My BFF struggles with it and I'd love to read both Dooce's blog and her husband's.

Sending hugs my friend, especially through the tears.

Bluebird said...

Sounds like a perfect way to spend a rainy day :)

Anonymous said...

((Hugs))

Sara said...

I've read Dooce, here and there, but may have to check her out again.

Marriage is hard....you'll make it through this a stronger person. :)

((Hugs))

PS~I totally agree with your 3rd grader's tutoring. I just don't think those not in school yet should be tutored so they are ready to start school when they can hold off a year. I didn't want you to think I thought your child's tutoring was wrong. It's not.

PPS~I am glad you commented on my blog. :)

My Heart said...

Even in all it's randomness, this post did move me to tears. I have been easily moveable but none the less, it did. Sometimes the people we love most hurt us the most; it's because we don't expect anything from the people we don't love.

T said...

I cried because I need to show my husband how much I love him. I really do.

Beautiful. Sounds like a good man. And we know he's not a complete jerk...marriage is tough, marriage and dead babies grief? Oh my goodness - can we come up with a new word to describe?

And the cookie tradition sounds like much fun....Are you inviting us over to sample?

Alana said...

Awwww, OM....we know you love your DH. It's just the DH's are the "easiest" to get irritated with sometimes. Doesn't mean we love them any less.

Hugs.