8.05.2009

Other Babies

Considering I've written nothing of substance for over a week, it's fair to say that Anonymous shook me up a bit. I've felt timid expressing myself these days. I don't want to present my life as one big tragedy because it really is not. But there are things I just can't say in real life and I need to get them out of my system somehow, so I write them here knowing that most of you either 'get it' or at least can empathize. So, here I go again. :)

Before I was even born, my mom became friends with 'Jo' and 'Lo', a married couple with three daughters (one of their twin girls died before or shortly after birth; one twin lived, with severe hearing loss; the youngest daughter was born healthy). The youngest daughter, 'Sandy', is by far one of the sweetest, most compassionate human beings I know. She drives great distances to help friends move or to be with them during difficult times. She opens her house to anybody and everybody, whether they need a place to stay or just a home cooked meal.

Sandy and I are not very similar, at least not in the ways society groups each of us. Sandy is married to an alcoholic who spends most of his time in their garage where he drinks a lot of beer and watches a lot of TV. However, Dan can be a sweetheart. He'll drop everything to help somebody out of a tough spot. But, Dan isn't always present for his own three daughters (ages 24, 20, and 17) who periodically seek out their dad within the confines of the garage.

Apparently when your dad ignores you and chooses beer over helping you with your homework, you end up making choices that make your own life more difficult. 'Steph', the 24-year-old, became pregnant at age 18 or 19. Steph married her boyfriend (whom was permitted to live with Sandy, Dan, and all the girls for several months before getting Steph pregnant) when the child was about a year old. Steph had another baby about a year and a half later. Throughout the majority of their marriage, 'Jake' has either been unemployed and living in Dan and Sandy's basement or driving a truck cross country and seldom seeing his wife and children. Currently, Steph and Jake's marital status vacillates between married and not living together, separated, divorcing, dating, married, divorcing, etc., etc. I know this because it's broadcast on Facebook every few days.

'Sue', the 20-year-old, started dating her first boyfriend less than a year ago. Not long after E died, Sandy informed me that Sue was newly pregnant. Sandy's initial email to me stated that Sandy was very happy about the pregnancy. When I responded, I said that I can understand being happy about new life and all . . . but. Sandy quickly retracted and said she meant to add a 'not' before the 'very happy', but Sue is her daughter and she needs to stand by her. True. Shaming Sue and making her life more difficult would not fix this. But, why do Sandy and Dan make it so damn easy for their girls to get into these situations in the first place? They permitted both Steph and then Sue's boyfriends to either live with them or at least spend several overnights in their daughter's beds. Perhaps if there were no other younger siblings learning from their older sisters that mom and dad will 'stand by you' when you get pregnant at a young age, this cycle would just stop.

You might think I'm this over zealot conservative lunatic because I think it's ludicrous that Sue never attempted to be discreet about her pregnancy. She posted about it on Facebook immediately after peeing on the stick. Granted, this was within weeks of E dying and I was feeling like lashing out at anybody who was pregnant. But, come on. When you're twenty years old, unemployed, uneducated, unmarried, and living in your parents' basement, is that really the time to get pregnant and boast about it on Facebook?

About a month ago, Sue was hospitalized for pre-term labor. From the moment she got to her hospital room, she bitched about being there. Need I remind you that Sue is unemployed, unmarried, and she has no other children of whom to take care? I was and still am livid because Sue was either too self-centered or too ignorant to realize that when a baby is 26 weeks gestation and the mother shows signs of labor, it's probably best to stay very close to medical personnel.

When Sue was discharged a few weeks later, she bitched about how long it was taking and that the 'stupid doctors' were saying they weren't comfortable with sending her home. If I heard those words come out of a doctor's mouth, I'd keep my butt in that hospital bed. For crying out loud, my baby died and nobody knew enough to prevent her death. Sue's baby is given the opportunity to live and develop with the help of medical personnel, but Sue fights as if she's being unlawfully detained. Ignorant. Narcissistic.

Today I logged into Facebook to discover that Sue's baby arrived last night. Less than a week after Sue fought her way out of the hospital and bitched about every 'stupid' doctor appointment thereafter. The baby was about 29 or 30 weeks along by this point. She's in the NICU. I'm grateful she's alive. I only wish her mother realized other babies die.

12 comments:

Bluebird said...

I'm glad to see you "back" - I've missed my friend :) Please don't allow some crazy to make this anything other than a safe haven to you!

I understand what you're saying, and don't really even know where to start! There's a lot of things at play here, I think.

I'm reminded of my cousin who got pregnant in high school and how her parents just couldn't/ can't stop talking about the baby. Yes, it was their first grandbaby, and yes they should be wonderful loving grandparents! But it still seemed a little, um, "off" at the beginning.

I'm also reminded of my countless friends who have emailed comments about how ready they are to not be pregnant anymore/ get this baby here/ etc. I want to shake them and tell them to thank the Lord above for every day that baby gets to stay safe and sound inside where he belongs!

And, at the heart of it all, I suppose I just shake my head at people who take such a blessing - a living, breathing baby to love - for granted.

Anonymous said...

This is a timely post for me. I just spent the evening with a friend of mine that works as a lactation consultant and nurse on the labor and delivery floor. She was with me for Mayas birth and has a whole new perspective on her job now. Unfortunately, she deals with a lot of people that do stupid things. It's so sad how people don't realize what they stand to lose until it is too late.

Oh, and welcome back!!

Catherine W said...

Glad you are back. I'm been blowing wind back into your sails from afar.

Such a sad story in a lot of ways. This mama doesn't really seem to understand how lucky she is. Sadly, babies do die in the NICU. I wish they didn't but still, there it is.

I hope one day she'll look back, and realise. How lucky she was. That those doctors were not 'stupid'. How much some of us would give for the experience that she has found so boring.

Glad you're back. I like reading what you have to say. About E, about lots of other things. Please don't feel timid, this is YOUR bit of internet and of course sometimes you are expressing things that you can't say in real life. Scary how many people seem to think that what people write on blogs is some kind of summary of their full and complete lives and personalities.

Michele said...

I'm glad that you are back. I miss your posts.

I was livid and nauseated reading about Sue. I just dont even have words. I mean, it's your baby. Even if you are a cold hearted, narcassistic bitch, it is still your baby. How can you not put your social calendar on hold for a few weeks? Dear God...

I too hope that the baby pulls through with no issues. God only knows what lack of prenatal care the mother had. Ugh... Makes me sick...

Donna said...

I'm so glad you're back! It's hard to get past hurtful comments - but this is YOUR spacee. I'd hate to see someone else take that away from you.

Sadly - I've heard several stories recently of young women like Sue... One sweet little boy was born at 28 weeks, spent 3 months in the NICU by himself because his parents couldn't be bothered to visit and now is living with his grandparents who have permanent custody because his parents were deemed unfit.

All of it just makes me want to cry. There are so many women out there who are fighting to have babies and keep them alive. The ones who act like this just don't have a clue about how lucky they really are.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back!

Sigh. I wish I could go back to the bubble of innocence and where really bad things don't happen.

Sending you much love.

T said...

No good words. Makes me so sad.

Some people don't get it until they are forced to get it. Or maybe they never will. I wish I had that innocence again, of how fleeting life can be, I wonder if I'd take it for granted.

Shanti Mama said...

Glad you are back too! See so much love here for you.

I can't even IMAGINE having to read those FB updates. I have had a bunch of them this week and I have wanted to post a looney babylost mama response. But, I don't.

I've missed you sweet OM!

Nissa said...

OM,
I am glad your posting and it makes me very sad that "anon" has made you hesitant to post. How are you feeling on your new dose of Synthroid? Thinking of you!

Kara's Mom said...

It's so sad that the parents didn't set a better example for their children. Children having children, without being married, employed, or generally responsible at all, is very sad when it's avoidable with good parenting. I'm glad the baby is doing well. I only wish I had been given the chance to have 'stupid doctors'. My baby died in utero at 37.5 weeks and the cause was unknown.

Alana said...

Hi, OM. I'm finally back from vacation and am catching up on blog reading...

SO sorry I missed all the "anonymous" comments. Kudos to you for standing up for yourself. You ARE so strong! I hate that Anon is making you hesitate to post your true feelings. I know it is easier said than done, but this is YOUR blog and outlet... screw Anon and know that you have MUCH support out here in blogland!

As for "Sue," how frustrating! It is SO difficult when people just don't "get it." Hang in there!

CLC said...

Don't you just want to slap some sense into them?