I never got the dreaded box of Enfamil on my doorstep. The diaper samples. The baby shampoo samples. None of them ever passed from my mailman's hands to my mailbox.
I've read about so many of you whose hearts have skipped a beat and your breath was taken away by the sight of those previously benign objects of babyhood. I thought to myself, "Hmm. Maybe she registered somewhere and she ended up on the 'list'. Good thing I didn't do that." I felt horrible for each of you who've had the courage to call those sinister companies to get off their lists.
The other day, I was describing how a blog friend felt when Similac appeared on her doorstep the week her baby was due. As I rambled on and on, my husband finally said, "I threw it all away."
Apparently, my name didn't escape the 'list.' I was impressed by and grateful for my husband's proactive approach. With the cancer and E's due date, he didn't think I could handle one more thing. So, he made sure he got to the mailbox first and dumped all that free crap. What a guy. :)
My astonishment with my husband didn't stop with the mail. He said he called the hospital where I delivered E and asked to speak to an administrator. He very politely told the administrator that I never registered my name or my baby's due date at any store or website. The only source for that information was the hospital. My husband told him that he's certain somebody within the hospital sold my name and pertinent information. My husband told the administrator that our baby died. The practice of selling names must stop.
I don't know what the administrator will do with my husband's revelation. I've tried googling 'hospital sells obstetric patient names', etc., but nothing appears. If in fact hospital personnel do sell patient information, something must be done. It's a violation of privacy. It's a breach of confidentiality. I'm just grateful my husband thought about this when his naive wife failed to do so.
5.03.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


13 comments:
Oh, your husband sounds amazing! That was very considerate of him. I got all those samples AND a phone call right before Emma's due date asking if we were still interested in cord blood banking. Honestly, I didn't know what to say because it took me so off guard. I was an absolute mess after that call. Good for your husband for taking the initiative with the hospital.
Firstly, what a gem of a husband. And secondly whoever it is engaging in that behaviour in the hospital needs taking outside and kicked hard. Very hard.
Thinking of you xxx
That is great. I'm so glad he thought to do that for you. My husband would throw away the magazines and stuff sent here and I never knew about it either, but I did end up getting the mail many times before him and it sucked. Sounds like you have a sweetheart!
I heartily concur. Your husband is amazing. And I am absolutely flabbergasted that it came from the hospital, because it also means they would have given your information despite what happened. That's not just a violation of privacy. It is a violation of decency. Been thinking about you. XO
Yea for Overeducated Daddy! I still have no idea where they got my information. Maybe we should call Simalac/ Abbot Labs and ask? Or should we put OD on the job??
PS How is Grandpa doing?
Your husband sounds like Peter. We didnt expect stuff like that and when they came after the twins, it was like being hit in the gut. After Alexander was born, he made sure to get to the box first and ran interference. I'm sure it hurt him too, but he told me later that he just couldnt bear to see me in that much anguish for something that shouldnt have come in the first place. (We didnt register for that stuff either)
But we never thought of calling the hospital... Good idea.
Oh! Oh wow! First of all, what an awesome, awesome guy! That is just the sweetest story. Second, I wouldn't have even *thought* about the hospital. I've been so curious because I (I think!) have escaped without receiving actualy *things* in my mailbox - just some b.s. emails I have managed to "unsubscribe" to. Do you really think it was the hospital? How horrible!
Good for him (Overeducated Daddy, I love that!). A very wise man. I was never sure how we ended up on those lists--insurance, the hospital, registry with Babies R Us? Anyway, I'm so glad that he saved you that pain, and impressed that he took it a step further by calling the hospital.
Yes, yes! My husband did the same thing (intercepting the mail) for the first 1 yr+ that they sent stuff and I was so glad. Every once in a while when I would get the mail, I would find a piece and be sad and furious. Worst one is the one they send for your child's "birthday". Every year we get a friendly reminder (as if we don't already know with every fiber of our being) of what we are missing and what our son should be doing/eating/etc. I think that one is from Toys/Babies R Us. I don't have the energy to try and get off of these lists.
First of all, your husband is wonderful. Quietly going about protecting a grieving mother, when he was also hurting. So tender.
As far as the hospital goes...appalling!! It actually infuriates me!
What a wonderful husband! I love that he thought to do this for you both.
I think its actually the OBs that sell the names - with my first daughter, we started receiving mail freebies long before her due date, and long before I ever signed up at BRU etc etc....whoever sells the names, its annoying all to h*ll....
The "List Buy" business is amazing and I can guarantee you it's not Hospitals selling your info. If you have ever been on a 'list' for a child, they simple forecast when they think you'll be pregnant again and may send you stuff at that time. In addition, if you ever signed up to see 'special information' on a parenting or pregnancy website - they're collecting your info to sell to companies at a quarter apiece. It's a shady world.
Hmmm . . . I don't know. I don't know for sure who is selling the info. When I said 'hospital' in my post, I actually meant the OB department at my clinic/hospital -- not the labor and delivery department.
Concerning forecasting, it seems far too accurate that each of us would receive samples so close to our babies' due dates. And, I never registered with an online service of any kind. Anybody else on the case?
Post a Comment