3.27.2009

Things that make you go hmmmmm

I'm home now. I'm not quite as upbeat as I was last night. It seemed the nurses were ready to get rid of me all day, but I just could not drag myself out of that hospital bed. I finally showered and dressed around 4 PM. I was all set to go when the nurse informed me to "hurry up and wait" because the resident surgeon wanted to talk to me again before discharging me. I thought maybe the resident wanted to tell me that the consulting surgeon made a referral for me to meet with an OB/GYN specializing in cases like mine -- people who endured stillbirth and thyroid cancer. So I waited, trying not to fall asleep again while my kids watched TV from my hospital bed and my husband snoozed in a chair.

When the resident surgeon returned, he created more confusion and questions for us than answers. First, he said that I likely would not need the radiated iodine. Yay! Then he told us that contrary to the original tests, three out of the four biopsied lymph nodes contained cancer cells. But, unlike most lymph nodes, these cancerous lymph nodes shouldn't terrify us. Then, he told us that he can't say for sure that the cancer hadn't spread elsewhere. But, he told us not to worry because the odds were in my favor. Finally, in my drug induced stupor I said something like, "Come on. Every single thing that shouldn't happen to me has. Every prediction the doctors make falls short." As this resident surgeon babbled on about me being Stage One cancer, I decided I'll just wait until I speak to my Endocrinologist and the consulting surgeon to solve this enigma.

I also want to add I know E is with me. I know she'll help me.

P.S. I will post more tomorrow about the children. They are fine. My instructions were not followed to a T, but somebody always has to push the envelope, right?

12 comments:

Carrie said...

Here from ICLW. I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of E. It sounds like you've endured unimaginable sorrow and I am so deeply sorry.

I am glad your surgery is over, and I hope you are resting well with your three darlings.

Hugs!
Carrie
ICLW

Anonymous said...

Bloody hell!! OM what hell being sent home with that information. I hope your Endo is alot more use to you than the Resident. Keep us posted and as usual, if there is anything I can do....xxxx

Mommy (You can call me OM) said...

Ugggghhhh. Seraphim, I know. Can you believe he also said (in front of my children) that people die from this. Long pause. But, you don't really fit that profile. WTF?
Seriously, this guy needs to go back to the simulation center and learn some bedside manner. What a convoluted mess.

Snarky Belle said...

What an idiot! This actually infuriates me. Hopefully you'll get better answers from someone with a little more than a lick of sense. UGHH!

I am so, so sorry!!!

Alana said...

WOW. I am appalled at the way you were treated...and the fact that he didn't ask to speak to you WITHOUT your children if he was going to share such information.

Still praying for you and hoping that because the info this Doc gave you differed from everyone else, that the "majority rules" and his info will turn out to be erroneous. (Sp?)

Hope you're able to rest.

Sara said...

I am convinced that there are medical professionals out there that need more training than just medicine....like in compassion and common sense. Obviously he has never been a patient or has had a loved one as a patient yet.

I am a teacher and it is always good for me to be on the other side and take a class. It reminds me what it is like to "learn" and not just "teach." The same should go for the medical profession.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs, Sara

Jo said...

IN FRONT OF YOUR CHILDREN? Are you serious?

That's just plain wrong. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that he doesn't have any kids of his own.

Still -- sheesh. Hoping the coming days bring better news.

Hugs,
jo

Amy said...

I hope you get some more clarity from the other doctor son. Sometimes doctors need to know when to stop talking! I hope you heal and the cancer is all gone.

I'll be thinking of you.

still life angie said...

That is seriously messed up. What a jerk! Even without children, he should recognize how terrifying that is for everyone involved. So glad to hear surgery went well...((hugs))

Michele said...

Some docs have no concept of bedside manners do they? I'm glad things "seem" to be okay for the moment and cant wait to hear back from your Endo. They'll be able to read through the lines and get you good info.

So glad you feel E with you. :)

bleu said...

I highly urge you to seek a second opinion as soon as possible. If your doctors cannot clearly and thoroughly explain every single thing they are not for you.
This is your life.

Kristin said...

Damn...still no good answers. I second what bleu said...SECOND OPINION! Thinking of you.