3.23.2009

Schedule

I am very tired and I need to go to sleep. I promise to catch up on everybody's blogs and emails tomorrow. But, I wanted to give you an update after my meeting with the surgeon today.

First, I've never met a nicer, more compassionate surgeon. When I explained to her that I was most concerned about whether or not the thyroid issue caused E's death (I wanted her opinion in addition to my Endocrinologist's opinion), she nearly cried and she became very emotional. She assured me neither the cancer nor my thyroid caused E to die. And, she felt optimistic that I will not need any treatment beyond surgery. She said that I'll most likely be able to try to conceive shortly after my follow-up appointments.

I was able to get in for surgery very quickly. I'll go in very early Thursday morning and I'll likely stay in the hospital for just one night.

Thank you to each of you for giving so much support while I navigate my appointments and other scheduling. As those of us who've lost a child or children know, these health issues just seem like one more thing. I am grateful that this cancer is so treatable. But still.

13 comments:

Bluebird said...

You've been on my mind all day. In the midst of the fear and additional heartache, I'm glad for you that your surgery was scheduled quickly, and I'm glad for the reassurance that this has nothing to do with E's death. (Right? I think that the thought that comforted you the most!)

Much love to you, sweet OM. If there's ever anything I can do, please let me know.

Jen L said...

I've been thinking of you and saying lots of prayers for you and your family. I believe all will be okay. I think you are in good hands with your doctors and surgeons.
P.S. I love your post about your little man. I too love my little boy beyond words. We have a very special bond and I wouldn't change that for the world. He fills my life with joy! I kind of wonder how it will be when our little girl arrives in July? I wonder what her little personality will be like. I think each child is special in his or her own way, don't you...

Ruth said...

I'm so glad that your surgeon was good and kind and listened. Praying for you.

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking of you constantly. I am so glad that you like your surgeon and your surgery is scheduled so soon. I am thankful that you can be sure that this diagnosis had nothing to do with E's death, I know that it doesnt make things any easier, but you have an answer, ?I hope that makes sense?
You definately did not need one more thing, losing your child is enough. I am so happy and hopful that you may not need further treatment and you can TTC soon, I know that is what you want, and you deserve it.
Much love to you dear.

Michele said...

I've been thinking of you and hoping for an update. I'm so glad that things seem to be moving quickly. I will be in church praying for you on Thursday.

I'm so glad that both doctors were able to reassure you that the cancer is not a factor in E's death. I know you feel some relief (at least I hope you do).

Prayers for you, for this and for the time after.

Brenna said...

"But still" indeed! Doesn't it seem like one tragic situation should preclude us from facing any more trials in this lifetime? Sadly, I guess that's not the case. I hope this is your final lightening strike and that from here on out you and your family are shielded from more trauma--enough, already! I'm so glad that you have a wonderful doctor, that makes all the difference in the world. I'll be thinking extra hard about you on Thursday and Friday, my friend. XXOO

Mrs. Gamgee said...

It sounds like you have a very compassionate doctor. I hope that all goes well with the surgery. Prayers and good thoughts being sent your way.

ICLW

Amy said...

Sounds like a compassionate doctor, good. I hope the surgery goes well. Thinking of you and sending healing vibes.

Alana said...

SO happy you had a caring surgeon. And pleased for you that you can now clear your mind that your thyroid was somehow responsible for the loss of your sweet E.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Karin said...

I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. Sometimes it seems like it will never stop. I know this is a little different, but I had to have surgery about 6 months after we lost Luke. Everything went smoothly, and things seem to be looking up now. You will be in our thoughts and prayers!

Susan D. said...

Nicole, I'll be saying prayers for you and your family, too. This can't be easy for any of you. I'm sorry this has happened (echoes of "why me??" ...sigh...) I can picture little E holding your hand while you are in surgery.

Nic said...

Good luck, hope all goes well ~ICLW

caitsmom said...

Thinking of you. I don't know what else to say. There is nothing but to send hope. Thanks for leaving such loving comments on my blog. You've been so kind.

ICLW