6.29.2009

Those Questions

When does it get easier? When does it get easier to answer those questions? 'Is he your only? Is she your youngest? How many kids do you have? How old are they?'

Yesterday it happened twice. It really could have and probably should have happened many more times. We went to Mass and then we went to a surprise party for my brother, hosted by his co-workers (most of them I've never met).

The question first hit me at Mass. I was serving donuts and coffee when a new parishioner approached me, asking how often the church offers donuts (every Sunday -- wine and cheese on Saturdays). She said she wouldn't be able to volunteer for donut duty for quite some time -- she has four children after all. She said it in a way that I likely would have said it before. 'I'm just so crazy busy. My children would knock everything over and it'd be a circus.' Never thinking that the woman across from me also had four children, but physically held just three of them on a daily basis. Never thinking that holding my months old baby just inches from this woman's reach could evoke a roller coaster of emotions in her.

'Do you have children?'

"Yes, I have four. L (who was helping with donuts) is my eldest."
'The others must be with your husband. How old are they?'
"Um. Well. L's 7. O is 5 and N is 2. They are in the cafeteria for a fund raising meeting. And our baby . . . E . . . died."
'Oh. I'm so sorry. May I ask what happened?'
"She was stillborn."
'Recently?'
"November. How old are yours?"
'6, 4, and 2.'
"And the baby?"
'Five months.'
"Wow."
'I'm sorry.'

The second occurrence was at my brother's surprise party. I was outside with O when a lady who I previously judged a little off her rocker and perhaps drunk said, 'Is he your only?' "No. We have four." 'Oh, they must be inside. How old are they?' "Um. Well. L's 7. O is 5 and N is 2. And our baby . . . E . . . died."'I'm so sorry. My husband died of a heart attack five years ago. Three weeks later his sister died. I felt worse for their parents than I did for myself.' Lesson learned. We each have our own reasons for being a little off our rocker and perhaps drunk.

When I relayed these events via email to a couple blog friends, I failed to mention the second lady's situation. I regret that omission because I've come to realize it adds another dimension to the question. Surely she gets a similar casual question that hits her like a ton of bricks. Are you married?

***

The other night, I attended a gathering for my Just Faith group. We concluded our sessions in May. This dinner served as a venue for not just socializing but for brainstorming how we can better serve those less fortunate and how we can promote Just Faith to more parishioners. I know our facilitator didn't realize her words knocked me off my feet. I said nothing and simply tried to keep a panic attack at bay after she said, 'It's difficult to get people to commit to Just Faith. It's a weekly, nine-month-long curriculum. People question why they should commit to something for nine months and not have a baby to show for it.'

***

I've been taking Trazodone for five nights now. The first couple nights it didn't help me fall asleep, but it did cause intense sinus pressure. The third night I took Claritin along with it and it worked reasonably well with some sinus pressure. The fourth night I took it without the Claritin. It worked well and I felt very little sinus pressure. The fifth night I took it without the Claritin. It didn't do jack shit. (Sorry. I couldn't come up with anything better than that to express my frustration.) I'll keep taking it and hope for the best. The program my Clinic offers insures that somebody will call me to see how it's going. Thank God. Otherwise, I'd likely just keep plodding along.

Thank you to each of you for offering such heartfelt support. It may sound trite, but your words truly lift my spirits and carry me through many troubled times. Now, I hope to get caught up on your blogs so you know just how much I appreciate you.

11 comments:

Jo said...

I completely get how those "innocent" questions can knock you off your feet. No one really knows (until they experience it) how a simple "Do you have kids?" can cause the most painful reactions. Its a question I no longer ask. . .but still, undoubtedly, receive.

Thinking of you.

Hugs,
Jo

Bluebird said...

Oh, sweetie. It really does sound like you handled it as well as you possibly could. I admire that, and I hope - as hard as it was - that you found some sense of peace saying E's name in the list of your children.

I really wish we lived closer. These typed words of support never seem like enough. But please know they are certainly heart felt.

Oh, and aren't those smug super-busy people the worst? ;)

Michele said...

Oh sweetie... I dont think it does get easier. But you are really doing so well with it. It helps people to hear it, too. You never know how much you open their eyes or if you give them the freedom to express a child who died, whom they havent been able to talk about.

Sending you so many hugs right now.

Anonymous said...

OM-
Try having something to eat just before bed. that seemed to really help me. I also needed to increase my dose (I was on a 1/4 of a pill and went to a half, some nights 3/4).

I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

BTW- I have 2 blogs 1. the original one you have seen ( my more raw private emotions where I just let it all hang out) and 1. Hold My Hand (blogger- much more open, friends and Fam IRL have this addy)

Anonymous said...

It's a question I don't ask now. I've spent a lifetime with explaining it to people as a sister, as a mother, I can't imagine the emotion it must generate for you. OM I think you are doing amazingly. You've inspired me to get fitted for new running shoes btw. When you feel ready, lets do job blog together xxxx

Donna said...

I think you did an incredible job. And I completely agree with Michele - sometimes people don't wnat to hear about your dead baby - but it can be a really good thing. (And maybe they will think twice before asking next time) For me it hasn't gotten easier to answer those kinds of questions yet - but I'm lucky (or antisocial) enough to not get asked very often. ((HUGS))

And a big thanks to you for all the support on my blog too!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if any of this gets easier. Sometimes, I am fine saying I have one son but he died and other times, I baldface lie. Sounds like you handled it with grace. Much love. xo

Never forgetting Gregory said...

I have no idea when it gets easier. It still turns my stomach in knots when I get asked those questions. The question seems so simple and "easy" but can bring out the pain in the worst ways. People ask me if this is my first and when I say no, they ask about my other child. And then there isn't "really" another child because he died, so awkward to discuss with people and watch their reactions. Hugs.

k@lakly said...

I guess it's not that it gets easier you just get used to getting shook up at the question. I usully answer 3 and just let the other thoughts and feelings stay buried in my head...I found the talking and the telling to be too much.
Hope the meds start to help, I've heard it takes a while for your body to adjust so maybe give it some time.

Brenna said...

I'm glad you're giving the meds a try--I've also been told that it can take a little while for your body to adjust and for the effects to take hold, so hopefully that's on the horizon for you.

I attended a bridal shower for my best friend from high school last weekend, and many of her college friends (most of whom I don't know) asked the kid questions. Like you, I answered honestly--I find that I can never ignore my boys, even though it would be probably be more comfortable for other people if I could just say that I don't have any children yet. I typically say that I have triplet sons who were born too soon. I'm glad you mention E, she's every bit your child and I understand 100% why you would never say you have less than 4 children. Hugs ~ Brenna

Anonymous said...

This is my first time on your blog. I found you via your comment left on mine - thank you.

I get asked sometimes and I always tell the truth. Even though I have no living children, I am a mom and to say that I have no children would be a lie.

What is amazing to me is the sheer number of people that have told me of their own losses as a result of me sharing mine.

It doesn't get easier, but I think that you handled it well.