Yesterday I went in for an ultrasound. I think this was the first time I've had a male ultrasound tech. I'll admit it was a bit unnerving when this middle-aged, somewhat burlesque and sort of portly man called my name in the waiting room. I typically try to avoid seeing a male for any female-related issues. Cognitively, I realize males are just as professional as women in the field, they don't look at such exams as opportunities to see a woman naked, etc., etc. But, emotionally I get a little nervous when I think of a male care provider. However, I don't get so nervous that I'll refuse to be seen by a male. But, I digress.
We started the exam with an external ultrasound. I asked him if he could see if I was currently ovulating. I am not a medical person (I was a lawyer in a past life), but I usually have a pretty firm grasp on medical terms, etc. Apparently, not this time. He kept telling me this was an anatomic exam, not a physiological one. And, if he was able to tell whether I was ovulating, he'd making a ton of money. Whatever. Just tell me why I'm spotting. But, as is typically (if not always) the case, the ultrasound tech is not "legally allowed" to make a diagnosis. We also did a vaginal exam, where he called in a female tech to supervise. He handed me the "wand" and told me I could put it in place. This "wand" is probably two feet long! I had no idea what to do with that thing. I asked him if he could do it. Thank goodness I did. It would have been impossible to even get that thing turned around. Plus, it's not even inserted (as I would have assumed). It's simply placed against me.
Today, my NP left a message that all was good! I'm not sure why I used an exclamation point there. Before you know it, I'll use smiley faces and x's and o's all over my blog. Anyhow, Amy will call back later to discuss the results of all my tests in more detail. Don't get me wrong, I'm not disappointed in a big way. It's not like I wanted cancer. But, I do want an answer. And, so far I don't have one. Am I destined to spot for the rest of my life? That doesn't seem entirely practical. But, more seriously, I do want an answer about what's going on with my body so that I can be reassured that it's reasonably safe to get pregnant again (although, I'm not emotionally prepared for that endeavor at this time).
In addition to talking to Amy, my NP, about what more I can do to find answers, I am going to call another friend named Amy. I'll call that Amy "OB/GYN Amy." OB/GYN Amy was the doctor for my first child, L. My husband and I got to know OB/GYN Amy and her husband through church. They are my second child's, O's, godparents. We no longer live in the same town, but we get together a couple times a year. I don't like to take advantage of OB/GYN Amy. So, I typically ask her opinion to confirm or dispute whatever my regular care provider tells me. It's good backup. And, once in a great while, I'll provide some outdated legal advice for her. I'm sure that makes us even, right?
1.08.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment