1.24.2009

Abortion

***The links contain words and images that may cause emotional distress***

Perhaps losing E makes this topic more raw for me. Perhaps it's the anniversary of Roe v. Wade. Perhaps it's the impending possibility that President Obama will effectively put the Freedom of Choice Act into action.

No matter the reason, I am disturbed, troubled, terrified, distraught. It haunts me that President Obama could allow this to happen.

Abortion at any point during pregnancy is murder. How can anyone look at images of aborted babies and not see that?

In my quest for knowledge on this subject, I learned about another method of abortion that gets around the current ban on partial birth abortion. Induction abortion uses sonogram to locate the baby's heart, then inserts a long needle filled with medication directly through the mother's abdomen and into the baby's heart. The medication causes the baby's heart to stop. Once the heartbeat ceases, labor is induced.

Those who support abortion must either believe that the procedures are not gruesome or common, or that the being inside the mother's womb is not life.

I bristle when people say that abortion should be legal because of rape, incest, or medical issues. Those issues do not make up the majority of abortions. How can they use an exception to establish a rule?

Many, if not all, women suffer enormous guilt and emotional pain for a lifetime. Abortions don't only destroy an innocent life, but they destroy the lives of those who live.

3 comments:

Virginia said...

It's my understanding, that by releasing these funds to international organizations, many of them in third world countries, they are able to tell men and women about all of their options, not just about abortion. Able to tell them about birth control, natural family planning, give them access to more healthcare and prenatal check ups, and help them deliver their babies safely and have healthy babies. This isn't just about abortion. Previously, all money was withheld from these groups that desperately needed it to provide basic healthcare to pregnant women, as well as their families. Without that money, these clinics could provide nothing.

Does that make sense? I may be incorrect in my understanding, but I do think groups need this money in order to help mothers without access to any other healthcare safely give birth to healthy children.

Mommy (You can call me OM) said...

Virginia,

Thank you for your comment. It's nice to know somebody reads my posts. But, I think you're referring to the "Mexico City policy." I haven't researched that particular provision in detail.

If you follow the link for Freedom of Choice Act, you can read about its history and scope.

Stacy D said...

Great post. After losing Isaac, I, too, am appalled at what Obama is hoping to legalize.